What's is your favorite D20/D10 RPG and why ?

Lastoutkast

First Post
Well, I think there are some classes & concepts that are better fleshed out in some variants, like AU/AE's Oathsworn, or some of the various expansions to sorcerous lineages as found in Dragon or Pathfinder. Ditto psionics.

Midnight's backgrounds are cool.

Some feats might have been better as "mandatory" class or subclass options/Altrernative class features.

AU/AE had some nice tweaks to the magic system, with weaker & stronger versions of spells and rules for Effects generated by alternative spell components.

Book of the Righteous did an excellent job of deconstructing divine classes so that players & DMs could design all kinds of nifty clerical or holy warrior variants...for all kinds of faiths and alignments.

If I could have melded a free-form spell system into a melange of all that- a la True20 or M&M (and its magical supplements)- to free more creative players to create their own spells...well, all the better.
So I'm not to hip on the AU/AE and other acronyms. Could you please post a book list that you are referring too ?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
AU/AE refers to Monte Cook's games Arcana Unearthed and Arcana Evolved- roughly analogous to 3Ed &3.5Ed D&D.

M&M is Mutants & Masterminds, the HERO-like free-form take on D20 for superejeroic gameplay. Like HERO, its structure allows it to support all kinds of games, including straight-up fantasy. It has 2 supplements relevant to fantasy roleplay, the Book of Magic and Warriors & Warlocks.

pemerton

Legend
This what I have so far, any other suggestions ?
If you're looking for suggestions for RPGs, especially FRPGs, that are worth reading/playing, I would strongly suggest Burning Wheel. You can download the core mechanics for free.

Also what is everyones favorite "mechanics" in the RPGs they like.
I like mechanics that produce finality in resolution.

D&D has always had this in its combat mechanics. 4e has this out-of-combat via skill challenges. BW does this via combining a traditional approach to PC building (characters have attributes and skills at various ranks, and obstacles are set in terms of difficulty numbers) with non-traditional approaches to retries ('Let it Ride') and to narrating failure ('Intent and Task').

A lack of finality in resolution means that, ultimately, it is GM discretion rather than player action declaration that determines what happens in the game.

Argyle King

Legend
Well looking for more game running/encounter world building. So I wasn't sure if I needed the complete yet.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

In that case, Campaigns does have more information. Though there will be a few parts of Campaigns which mention the other book.

Is there a particular type of world you're trying to build?

I ask because books like Fantasy and Horror are more geared toward their respective genres.

Lastoutkast

First Post
Not really, its kind of a three part thing. One, I'm burnt out on pathfinder and want to try something new. Two, I'm making my own rpg and curious a what other people have made. Three, I like reading :)

Lastoutkast

First Post
AU/AE refers to Monte Cook's games Arcana Unearthed and Arcana Evolved- roughly analogous to 3Ed &3.5Ed D&D.

M&M is Mutants & Masterminds, the HERO-like free-form take on D20 for superejeroic gameplay. Like HERO, its structure allows it to support all kinds of games, including straight-up fantasy. It has 2 supplements relevant to fantasy roleplay, the Book of Magic and Warriors & Warlocks.

Added :)

Remove ads