D&D 5E What's really useful on a DM screen?

When you buy a DM screen, what info do you find really useful?
Something that hides papers from the players. I don't like to have it in front of me, because then it blocks my view, so I have it off to the side where it can hide things I need out, but not in plain sight. However, that location means that I can't actually look at it very easily.

If I had to pick, I would say less is more, because then it could use bigger fonts and be easily noticeable at a glance.

For a Level Up screen here's a list of things I'd want:

1) Conditions
2) Strife and Fatigue values
3) Page Number Chart for Journey Activities, Region Types, and Weather
4) A rollable table for Journey Hazards and Rewards
5) Travel Rates
6) Rules for Bulk Items
7) Renown Information for ease of tracking the party's fame
8) Expertise Dice Size Increase Reference
9) Initiative tracker (Just a set of numbers from 24 down to -2 where I can slide a paperclip down the side of the Screen or put paperclips to mark different people's initiatives)
10) A Banner across the inside top of the screen that says, in bright pink or red letters, "Remember to give out Inspiration liberally"
I really like the idea of a page number chart. A mini-index of frequently needed references would be nice.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I wish a DM screen would be landscape rather than portrait. As to actual content I don't really have any good ideas.
There are landscape screens, the one I'm Using for Baldur's Gate is landscape, enough for me to have my notes hidden (plus I'm using a macbook on the side anyway to search and display maps, etc., but low enough to be more convivial when I'm seated.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
A GM screen has two purposes:
  1. To provide information that I need at the table so that I don't have to open a book.
  2. To add to the atmosphere of the table.
For #1, what I need changes over time. When I'm first learning the system, I'll need rule references for combat, chases, DCs, etc. Once I've memorized those, I need useful charts and references to common things that I just can't quite remember: Conditions, a list of skills, price lists for common purchases (food, inns, transport, goods and services). Eventually, I'll be looking for a toolkit that aids in improvisation, like generic monster stats and NPC traits. I also end up needing a place to put information about the PCs.

For these reasons, I end up using custom GMs screens, or at least clipping custom pages to my screen. But it would be interesting to explore designing multiple screens for different levels of experience, or professionally made clip on (or magnetic) panels for "upgrading" sections.

As for #2, nice art, or at least good layout and graphic design go a long way.

A few other points that make for a great GM screen:
  1. Design matters. Information that can't be found quickly and intuitively may as well not exist.
  2. Have some white-space and art to break up the wall of data, but keep information density high. It's a dashboard, not a novel or a gallery. This will be a difficult balance.
  3. Panels are your first and best organizational unit, followed by columns. Use them to gather related information, and don't let them bleed into each other.
  4. Use different layouts and presentation-types on different panels. For example, one may mostly be tables, while another may be an infographic, and a third a list of callout boxes. This variation helps make each part distinct, and thus more quickly differentiated at the table.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I like having, conditions, travel rules and services like renting horses, coaches, wagons, food, mercenaries, rooms, healing services etc

Remove ads