What's Scarred Lands like?

Sulimo

First Post
:)

I wrote Mesos in my original message, but once seeing Nightfall refer to him as Mesmo I bowed to Nightfalls superior wisdom.

Aku

First Post
I must admit that I like the sound of this Scarred Land setting. There is something about it that seems to me like home.

Geoffrey

First Post
I especially like the following things about the Scarred Lands gazetteer:

1. It is rules-generic. It isn't d20, so there isn't any useless stuff for an old OD&Der like myself.

2. It is only 48 pages. I like my fantasy worlds to be lightly sketched. I like being given the general concept, but not the details. Kind of like my relation to FR: I own the 1987 boxed set, but that's all. I don't want all the other stuff. Just get me started and I'll do the rest!

3. It's price: $8.95 for a complete campaign world. If you just buy this, you don't need anything else. Very refreshing in an industry that typically charges $25-40 just for admission.

My advice: Buy the SL gazetteer. Everything else is optional. Even if you don't like the gazetteer (which I think is unlikely), you're only out $8.95.

Attachments

• en5ider 271.JPG
    en5ider 271.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 17,578

Sulimo

First Post
Geoffrey said:
1. It is rules-generic. It isn't d20, so there isn't any useless stuff for an old OD&Der like myself.

I dont think it's really any more rules-generic than any other setting. I certainly dont think it's any more difficult to run say the Realms or Greyhawk in a non-d20 environment than Scarred Lands.

I myself have run Rolemaster games in Greyhawk & the Realms and am now doing so with Scarred Lands. Any it's been no more difficult or easier to do.

Last edited:

Geoffrey

First Post
Sulimo said:

I dont think it's really any more rules-generic than any other setting. I certainly dont think it's any more difficult to run say the Realms or Greyhawk in a non-d20 environment than Scarred Lands.

I myself have run Rolemaster games in Greyhawk & the Realms and am now doing so with Scarred Lands. Any it's been no more difficult or easier to do.

Right, but I was getting at something else: The SL gazetteer isn't published under the d20 license, so it doesn't have ANY d20 stats in it at all. This is, for me, a very good thing. The d20 stats would be useless to me, so all they would do would be to take-up space that would otherwise be devoted to descriptions of the SL. (And we all know that d20 stats take-up quite a bit of space.)

In short, I don't spend money on products that devote a considerable amount of their paper-space to stats I would ignore.

madriel

First Post
Aku said:
I must admit that I like the sound of this Scarred Land setting. There is something about it that seems to me like home.

Okay did any one else get a cold chill when they read this?

hmmm?

A show of hands please?

Ok. It unanimous. Aku you are one strange puppy. :D

Sulimo

First Post
Yeah. I definitely prefer books that dont have a bunch of new rules and stuff in them. But most people seem to prefer books with heaps of 'crunchy stuff'.

Thats probably why I doubt I'll pickup any more of the core non-source S&S books like R&R2. The first one gave me a good feel for the setting through the types of magic items and prestige classes (as well as the setting info in the spells), but unless I start playing a full blown 3e-Scarred Lands game its doubtfull I'd get much use out of it.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
SSS-Druid said:
*ahem*

And, um. As an aside? There is no Mesmo.

There is Mesos, and then there is Mormo. I'm pretty sure I don't ever want to meet Mesmo, who sounds like the bastard child of the Sire of Sorcery and the Queen of Hags.

*shudders*

Wasn't that Belsameth? ;) But yeah sorry JD. I don't know WHY I do that. *sighs* At least I can be grateful I don't mix up Golthain and Golthagga. Golthaiggan would be a mouthful! ;)

Nightfall

Sulimo said:
Yeah. I definitely prefer books that dont have a bunch of new rules and stuff in them. But most people seem to prefer books with heaps of 'crunchy stuff'.

Thats probably why I doubt I'll pickup any more of the core non-source S&S books like R&R2. The first one gave me a good feel for the setting through the types of magic items and prestige classes (as well as the setting info in the spells), but unless I start playing a full blown 3e-Scarred Lands game its doubtfull I'd get much use out of it.

But you did pick up the Screen so it cannot be ALL bad to get some crunchy stuff eh Sul? ;) Btw, I answered your question about Warren, at least as much as I know. I HAD heard, and maybe JD can confirm this, that there will be at least TWO new ratmen along with some maps hopeful. (Not sure about the Maps but I know I'D like them)

Nightfall

Sulimo said:

Aw, and here I was hoping that you'd get cause I MIGHT make it in! :) *still working feverishly on it*

Remove ads