What's Scarred Lands like?

Enforcer

Explorer
Over on the "best d20 setting thread" Scarred Lands is pulling a hefty number of votes. I'm completely unfamiliar with this setting, but I'm quite curious to find out what special aspects make it shine above so many others.

The Scarred Lands are a setting where the gods fought a war with their parents the Titans and mere 150 years ago. The destruction was vast and the armies of both sides still battle for control in different areas. The magics unleashed have warped much of the land and many of the inhabitants. It is a dark dangerous setting that is well supported and has a very good vs evil feeling about it.

DMaple

First Post
Well you should check out the Scarred Lands website for some background reading http://www.swordsorcery.com/.

The setting knows when to pinch good ideas from other settings yet has a lot of originality about it too.

150 years ago there was a battle between the new young gods and the old gods (Bit like Birthright), the old gods were known as Titans, but they will probably explain the differences a bit better in the next sourcebook to come out that deals with both Gods and Titans. The gods won and assended into the heavens the Titans were immortal so could not die, so instead were imprisoned, chopped into little bits and scattered to the winds, drowned at the bottom of the oceans, etc.

The land they fought over was left in a bit of a mess, shared by the races created to fight in the war. Divine races like humans, elves, etc and titanspawn your basic bad guys. (Not that the divine races don't have their own bad seeds)

Now they have some cool stuff like ratmen (much like Skaven) which came about from feeding on the blood of slain titans. A blood red sea from the fact a bleeding titan is chained at the bottom of it.

See what I mean about pinching good ideas, but they also come up with some really original and great stuff like Hollowfaust a city run by benevolant necromancers.

There are loads of great epic storylines you could do in the setting. What with the Titanspawn trying to resurrect their fallen masters, the Castalian Hegmony (sp?) expaning its power over the continent. Then there is just the matter of survival in a place where the land is still shattered by the marks left by gods fighting over 100 years before.

DMaple

First Post
Has Nightfall appeared on this new board yet? He normally fields the Scarred Lands questions.

While we are on the topic one question has always bugged me about Scarred Lands. That is

In the war between the Gods and the Titans what prompted the evil and good Gods to ally? Were all the Titans rotten to the core or did the 'good' titans get eliminated along with the bad?

Terraism

Explorer
DMaple said:
Has Nightfall appeared on this new board yet? He normally fields the Scarred Lands questions.

While we are on the topic one question has always bugged me about Scarred Lands. That is

In the war between the Gods and the Titans what prompted the evil and good Gods to ally? Were all the Titans rotten to the core or did the 'good' titans get eliminated along with the bad?

I don't know about Nightfall - though I swear I saw him somewhere - but I can answer the question...

The Gods draw powers - as standard D&D canon - from their worshippers. The Titans, however, are power. They don't gain more, they don't lose any. Because of their sheer capriciousness, they had the potential to destroy all of the mortal races on a whim - thus destroying the Gods by 'accident' when they killed all their faithful. Thus - the Gods struck the first blow; they knew the history of the Titans and that they had killed all before, and attempted to halt the happenings before they began. Also, Denev, the Titan of Nature and a believer in Balance, spoke out against her siblings and joined the Gods. Note that this explains WHY the good and evil worked together to destroy the Titans; both of them would have been destroyed if the Titans killed the mortal races... you've heard that "the enemy of an enemy is a friend?" That's why.

Tiefling

First Post
The gods allied themselves out of necessety, because they knew that if the titans carelessly destroyed their worshippers they would lose their power. Once the war was over they went back to bickering.

One of the titans, Denev, allied with the gods and is still fine. She is the titan of the earth and she gives spells to druids. One titan, Golthain, seemed good, but he was mutilated by his fellows and killed out of mercy by the gods.

Other than that all the titans were pretty nasty. The book doesn't give them alignments, but it implies that they simply didn't care about what their actions did to others.

One thing to note, the titans weren't gods. They couldn't grant any spells, and spellcasting titan-worshippers tend to be druids and sorcerors.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*appears in flash of brimstone, angel dust and sooty robes* Sorry about that folks, my absence from the board today wasn't completely intentional BUT I got some R&R2 stuff I've REALLY been meaning to get at.

So anyway, to field the questions, what makes the Scarred Lands great, is this...BUT also the fact it's like any other D&D world. There's light, in the form of mighty paladins, the freedom fighters of Vesh, and the sundry of unhearlded heroes all fighting for their beliefs and gods, to the dark, the Penumbral Lords, wielders of mighty shadow magics, the Order of the Ancient, a cult of assasins, priests and wizards dedicated to Belsameth, the Slayer, the Lady of Madness, Magics, and Lycanthropes, plus the followers of Mormo, the Lady Titan of Serpents, Hags, and Witchcraft, proginator of the High Gorgons, ruthless human like creatures that have powers far beyond that of ordinary humans, and many others. To the Grey, the Sage Yugman, historian and recorder, a man with his own agendas, Virduk, perceived by some as ruthless and despotic, but still a man that lives by law and order and has made great strides in making civilizations in and around the wastelands of his Hegemony.

So I hope that helps explain why I think the Scarred Lands is popular.

And to your question, Maple, I would suggest you pick up the Divine and the Defeated, which answers your question quite well. But since I'm a generous man, I'll be brief. After the gods and titans aligned to defeat the Slacerians, there was a growing sense of discontentment among the gods, especially those fathered by Denev, who couldn't stand for the ravages of Garuak, the wanton slaughter and rape of Tanil at the hands of her father, Hrrinnurk, and the destruction of cities by Kadum, finally prompted the gods to join together. Belsameth, it's believed, just wanted to strike back at Mom, while Chardun had some similiar ideas. Vangal, though, it's believed joined in basically because the titans represented the best chance to show off his power and need for slaughter. As the eldest, senior, and most elemental of the gods, Vangal probably was getting bored slaying and leading small hordes of mortals against each other. What really set them all together was the fact Enkili, after playing a rather cruel prank on Mesmo, had his divinity STRIPPED from him/her. That pretty much sealed the deal, as NONE of the gods wanted to lose their power. Again the Divine and the Defeated explains this a little more clearly, BUT that's the gist of it, Maple.

M

Madriel's Mercy

DMaple said:

I can field this one. The Titans draw their power from Scarn itself. Denev (the Earth Mother) is the only good Titan and she allied with the children of the Titans because of the damage her capricious siblings were doing to her lands and creatures. There was one other "good" Titan called Golthain, but the other Titans turned on him because he tried to protect the races he brought into being. Read Divine & Defeated for further information.

The Gods are the children of the Titans. They don't draw their power from the land, but from the belief of their worshippers. The Titans' actions killed their worshippers so often that the Gods had to rebel to keep from being destroyed. The good Gods wanted to protect their worshippers out of compassion while the evil Gods were protecting their sources of power.

Hope that helps.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Course Tief has the right of ALL this, but as I stated earlier, the Divine and the Defeated has more detailed info on why the gods and their parents, (with the exception of Golthain and Denev), had their little feud.

Remove ads