What's the best RPG?

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
I would say any game where the group is having fun, and the game system doesn't actively get in the way of playing.

This.

From this point of view, IMO, the best TTRPG as a rule system is D&D5e. I prefer long campaigns (Adventure Paths) as Age of Worms.

The videogame RPG I enjoyed the most is FFVII, because of the characters, the story, graphics, and the system.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
The Best RPG? Best for what exactly? There are so many different themes, styles, and variations of what a roleplaying game does, you can't really just shoehorn every one of them into a lump sum and decide which is best. It's going to be very subjective.

That said, Star Wars RPG is the best rpg for me. The mechanics are incredibly intuitive that I can run an entire session without needing to crack open a book or look something up. The narrative dice have improved my ability to tell stories and create improvised scenes without a grid or minis or even a map. And players seem more involved in the development of their characters beyond what abilities or treasures they can find.

Perhaps the best thing is how this particular RPG has taught me how to improve any game I care to run despite whatever mechanics or genre we use. In fact, I am running a seminar tonight to teach GMs how the system works and how the same principles can be used to improve the narrative in their own games by collaborating with their players to build scenes, improvisation on the fly, and techniques to enhance theater of the mind style of play!

Also, Star Wars!

RobShanti

Explorer
I thought that Saga Edition Star Wars was the best d20 system I ever played. I think d20 reached its sweet spot between crunch and narrative effect with that system. D&D3.5 wasn't quite there yet, and D&D4e progressed the system to the point where I felt it lost that perfect balance. But Saga was nestled -- chronologically and developmentally -- between those two systems, and was perfect for me.

Now, the perfect system for me is Fate Core or even Fate Accelerated, depending on the genre. Those systems just mesh well with my lack of time (due to busy life responsibilities) to generate NPCs in a crunchier system.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I thought that Saga Edition Star Wars was the best d20 system I ever played. I think d20 reached its sweet spot between crunch and narrative effect with that system. D&D3.5 wasn't quite there yet, and D&D4e progressed the system to the point where I felt it lost that perfect balance. But Saga was nestled -- chronologically and developmentally -- between those two systems, and was perfect for me.

Now, the perfect system for me is Fate Core or even Fate Accelerated, depending on the genre. Those systems just mesh well with my lack of time (due to busy life responsibilities) to generate NPCs in a crunchier system.
I have not been able to wrap my mind around fate yet. Too much fossilization in my brain. I keep trying to get it. But just can’t make the break through. Conceptually I love it. I feel like that idiot player in the game score that every week I have to tell will 1d20 add your proficiency bonus and add your ability score bonus. Oh this time don’t add your proficiency bonus because you are not proficient. And then I have to explain to him why he is not proficient. Ugggh.

JeffB

Legend
On any given day, my best changes...

I think systems like CoC, RQ, and Traveller deserve massive credit. They have stood the test of time since the Hobby's inception and remain mostly unchanged from their original releases in today's versions.

FFG's Star Wars is a masterpiece with it's dice mechanic that drives narrative. I think it bridges the gap better than anything else between narrative play and providing enough "crunch" for people who prefer more traditional games.

For D&D diehards who have a hard time branching out- I go to 13th Age or house-ruled S&W WB

I think I can fulfill anything I want to do with Dungeon World and a couple hacks/house rules. This is MY choice for best and reflects mostly the way I have always played D&D since the 1970s- action/story/scene driven and moving things along by ignoring half the rules at the table.

Final Fantasy VI isn't the best in that series gameplay-wise, but the story, music, setting, characters and all that other stuff was and still is as good as it gets.

Now Final Fantasy Tactics, that's an FF with gameplay that holds up extremely well.

Best CRPG: The Witcher 3, followed closely by Fallout: New Vegas and Ultima VII: The Black Gate.

Remove ads