Pathfinder 2E What's the deal with 3rd party PF2E Adventure "support"??

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If I'm ever able to get some more experience for PF2 under my belt, I'd love to write some 3pp/fan-created material for it. The tools for developers seem much more generous than what is provided by 5e.
Like I tried to adapt an old adventure series I wrote to 5e, only to find numerous things aren't available to use unless you publish on DMs Guild - and then you have to use Forgotten Realms and aren't allowed to change certain things of the setting, cosmology, history, etc.

There are currently three official settings open to 3rd parties for 5e. There are currently zero official settings open to 3rd parties for PF1 or PF2.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't want to use anyone's setting but my own - and make it generic enough to be dropped into any world a DM/GM wants.

The main problem I've had with 5e is that to use anything outside of the Basic rules, I would be required to use the Forgotten Realms on DMs Guild. I know little to nothing about that setting.

That is incorrect, you don't need to use the Forgotten Realms on DMsGuild, you can do generic setting neutral, or use Eberron, Ravenloft or Ravnuca. You can't use your own setting, but you can de generic.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You still can't create your own homebrew setting with history, politics, new races, etc. - unless I'm missing something?

You can do generic, building block material. Can't make it a whioe elaborate IP setting, but you can make material with no particular setting. Most do.

Retreater

Legend
You can do generic, building block material. Can't make it a whioe elaborate IP setting, but you can make material with no particular setting. Most do.
Unless I'm wrong, if you want to use anything more than the most basic of the Basic rules, you have to go the route of DMs Guild in the official settings. And there are glaring omissions, stuff that most writers would assume would be in there based on the 3.x SRD.
Obviously no beholders, displacer beasts, carrion crawlers, or other Wizards IP. But it's missing ghasts, duergar, and probably much more. And only 3 monsters of a challenge higher than 8.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, I see that it's expanded to Eberron and Ravenloft (if you connect it to Curse of Strahd). You still can't create your own homebrew setting with history, politics, new races, etc. - unless I'm missing something?

No, but you can do setting-neutral stuff. You don't have to use a setting at all.

Or just use the OGL, like everybody else who is publishing settings. Added bonus, that way you can use Kickstarter, too.

In general, I have no interest in any published campaign settings (whether it's Golarion, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, etc.) I don't care about 10,000 years of history filled with unpronounceable names that my characters are never going to interact with.

OK.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Unless I'm wrong, if you want to use anything more than the most basic of the Basic rules, you have to go the route of DMs Guild in the official settings. And there are glaring omissions, stuff that most writers would assume would be in there based on the 3.x SRD.
Obviously no beholders, displacer beasts, carrion crawlers, or other Wizards IP. But it's missing ghasts, duergar, and probably much more. And only 3 monsters of a challenge higher than 8.

If you go the route of the DMsGuild, you don't need to use an official setting: setting-neutral is an explicit option.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Unless I'm wrong, if you want to use anything more than the most basic of the Basic rules

No, you can't use the Basic Rules. You have to use System Reference Documents. If you're publishing for the OGL, ignore the basic rules PDF; that's not what's OGC.

But it's missing ghasts, duergar, and probably much more. And only 3 monsters of a challenge higher than 8.
All those words have been OGC for 20 years years now. The publication of 5E didn't change that. 99% of 5E's terminology can be found in older SRDs.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
(All this info is publicly available, BTW; if you're interested in publishing, you've got a bunch of reading to do!)

Retreater

Legend
(All this info is publicly available, BTW; if you're interested in publishing, you've got a bunch of reading to do!)
This has been very useful. Thanks for the information.
I'll need to figure out what to write to stay permissible without being forced into the DMs Guild ecosystem.
Upon first glance the project was not going to be do-able with those limitations.

dave2008

Legend
This has been very useful. Thanks for the information.
I'll need to figure out what to write to stay permissible without being forced into the DMs Guild ecosystem.
Upon first glance the project was not going to be do-able with those limitations.
If you don't want to use setting specific items (like places, NPCs, gods, etc. - this includes some monsters too) of any D&D setting, then go OGL; If you want to use any setting specific items go DMsGuild; if you want to use the full repertoire of D&D, but don't want to use setting specific items, go DMsGuild w/ generic setting.

Remove ads