What's the future of the Forgotten Realms?

What will WotC do with the Forgotten Realms?

• Eberron Treatment in 2019, possible hardcover later on

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Eberron Treatment in 2020+, possible hardcover later on

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Hardcover Setting Book in 2019

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Hardcover Setting Book in 2020+

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Nothing - Leave as default and expand through story arcs

Votes: 56 73.7%
  • Game Over, Man - They're done with the Realms after Waterdeep/Undermountain, the last hurrah

Votes: 6 7.9%

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Forgotten Realms will continue to be what D&D is, unless you choose to play somewhere else.

jgsugden

Legend
What I think they may eventually do is take the ORIGINAL boxed set and rerelease it in 5E with 5E stats and slight updates (probably in a hardcover) - FR Classic, if you will. That would appeal to many players - FR the way it started.

Henry

Autoexreginated
My 3rd edition FR guide still works perfectly well.

Indeed, the last FR game I ran for 5e I set in DR 1372, because there’s just not enough info out there for the realms at large post-4e time jump, whereas for the 3e FR book, I know rulers, I know current threats, I know NPCs, etc. the Sword coast guide only gives me this for a fraction of what the FRCS did. I know tons about the sword coast, but if I want to run in, say waterdeep, or the dalelands, or hillsfar, i’m Out of luck, so back to 1372 I go!

As much as I'd love for them to move away from it entirely for at least a while, just to give the other settings some AP love, what I expect to happen is that they'll continue exactly as they have been. It'll remain the default, it'll remain the home of most APs, but there won't likely be a "sourcebook."

Agree completely, wish they would go away from it but they wont. We wont get any straight hardcover source books on it but we will continue to get hardcover mega modules that act as mini source books.

Indeed, the last FR game I ran for 5e I set in DR 1372, because there’s just not enough info out there for the realms at large post-4e time jump, whereas for the 3e FR book, I know rulers, I know current threats, I know NPCs, etc. the Sword coast guide only gives me this for a fraction of what the FRCS did. I know tons about the sword coast, but if I want to run in, say waterdeep, or the dalelands, or hillsfar, i’m Out of luck, so back to 1372 I go!

Well, we'll be getting Waterdeep updated in a few weeks at least. And I wouldn't be surprised to see if they start ranging further and further away from the Sword Coast as time goes by. Both Lantan and Cormyr were mentioned in recent Lore You Should Know segments, so it wouldn't be surprising to see them featured in the relatively near future. It would make sense for Cormyr especially, as it's always been one of the core adventuring areas for the setting...

Remove ads