What's the Scarred Lands GM Screen like?

haiiro

First Post
Specifically, what kinds of tables does it have on it? What's the artwork like (other than the one panel you can see in the shrinkwrap)? How is it different from the WotC screen?

Just trying to figure out whether it's worth picking up - thanks in advance for any info. :)

Holy Bovine

First Post
Hideous, hideous, hideous artwork. Ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Now that the con is out of the way, here's all the pros:

Made of a heavy cardstock so it's pretty durable.

Great layout of tables and page references, rules for grappling, bull rush, charge overrun, striking at a weapon, subdual disarm and a full list of actions you can take in combat and whether they provoke AoO's, spellcraft DC's, Climb/Ride/Jump/Concentration DC's, Movement Rates, Material Hardness/HP, Cover & Concealment Mods, Page Reference listings for often consulted rules like Poisons, Traps, Special Monster Attacks/Feats/Types.

I have the WotC one as well but will probably never us it again for the following reasons. The stock it is printed on is very flimsy - it does have a coating of some sort on it to protect from spills but a light breeze (ie someone walking by the table) can knock it over - I also attach things to my screens with paper clips - the WotC screen falls over if i do this. The tables included on the WotC screen are not ones that i need on a constant basis. I would much raterh have a brief summary of the grapple rules on my screen than a listing of DC to burst or break things.

( All in all I much prefer the Scarred Lands screen (don't let the name fool you the screen itself is not specific to the SL but the Companion Book is) )

There's a booklet that comes with it that's just fantastic. It contains two adventures that are very well written. Details on all other races of Scarn - forsaken elves & dwarves, drow, alternate human races (based on geographical areas).

It's a bargain at $8.95 US. I highly recommend this.:cool:

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Yes it worth it since it's A LOT cheaper than WotC's AND it's got better stuff.

Incidently Bov, I liked the Artwork, at least the other three panels. I'll grant you this, the dragon was DEFINATELY not up to my standards.

Holy Bovine

First Post
I've always found artwork to be very subjective so I never would allow my dislike of art to stop me from purchasing what is otherwise a top quality product.

And I was thinking specifically of the dragon too - what the heck kind is that supposed to be anyway? Woodwrack? I really liked the CC picture of the Woodwrack although i wished it had been bigger (and not just the head and neck).

Nightfall

Holy Bovine said:
And I was thinking specifically of the dragon too - what the heck kind is that supposed to be anyway? Woodwrack? I really liked the CC picture of the Woodwrack although i wished it had been bigger (and not just the head and neck).

No idea Bov. For I could tell, it might have just been a poorly done construct! Though Woodwrack is a possibility.

SSS-Druid

First Post
Take a look at the crystalline horn on its snout.

Slarecian Dragon, all the way, baby. ;) Honestly, I have to admit to liking the critter -- the artist managed to somehow capture the alien, creepy, vaguely reptilian nature of the Slarecians in the dragon.

Nightfall

You're kidding right?

Slacerian Dragon?! Huh. Well guess that's just ONE person's idea of what it should look like. The one in CC2 wasn't bad, but it could have been improved on.

haiiro

First Post
Thank you!

Thank you all very much for your detailed and illuminating responses.

I think I'll be picking up the screen as soon as possible, misshapen Slarecian dragon notwithstanding. ;)

Thanks. :)

-haiiro

Nightfall

Well no problem. :) I still think Templar was right, the picture of Kadum is probably one of the better representations of him.

Remove ads