What's the WORST Star Wars movie?

What's the WORST Star Wars movie? (vote for up to 3)

• Ep I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Ep 2: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Ep 4: A New Hope

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 6: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ep 7: The Force Awakens

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Ep 8: The Last Jedi

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Ep 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Rogue One

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Solo

Votes: 16 10.2%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I thought Prometheus and Covenant were both decent enough. It's not like they sunk to the levels of Alien 3 & 4.
Track down the William Gibson script for Alien 3, available as a comic, an audiobook or a paperback. They clearly didn't know if they were getting Weaver back, so it's a story almost entirely focused on Corporal Hicks, featuring aliens on space stations, the Cold War in space and spaaaaaaaace communists.

It's really very good, and it's disappointing that they completely tossed it out when Weaver said she'd come back for the third movie. Rewriting Gibson's script to include her more would have led to a much more satisfying sequel, as much as I love seeing Charles S. Dutton in anything.

Ryujin

Legend
Most likely. The design dates back to the Clone Wars era capital ships, and isn't unique to the Republic - quite a few Separatist ships had similar designs, like Grievous's command ship that has wall-to-wall windows flimsy enough that he can punch through then with an electrostaff.

I recall there was that Clone Wars episode where everyone's astonished by Ahsoka's genius in turning their star destroyer on its side so that the belly is facing the enemy and the bridge and hangar bay are shielded from incoming fire.
I believe that the Klingons have an insult for that sort of blindness; flat thinker.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Disney's insane production schedule is the villain here, not Johnson or even Abrams.
Disney's "we don't have a firm idea for the trilogy; just start filming" is the root of nearly all the issues anyone has with the prequels.

Even JJ's desire to just remix the original trilogy would have been fine, if that had been spread over the whole trilogy, which would have given them time to say "do we really want a third Death Star story? Wait, no, we're definitely not doing it a fourth time, too, JJ."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've really come around to see the good trilogy that I feel is hidden in the prequel movies.
Even the whole idea of Palpatine manipulating events to create both a governmental crisis and a crisis among the Jedi that he can take advantage of in each case is a really, really good idea. Lucas has just lost whatever script-writing ability he once had. (The real answer is that the OT is largely shaped by the collaborators who get much less of the credit and who were sidelined for the prequels.)

I thought Prometheus and Covenant were both decent enough. It's not like they sunk to the levels of Alien 3 & 4.
I'd say I think you're confusing being pretty with quality. It's okay, a lot of people do it. Prometheus is lovely to look at. On every other level - script, dialogue, concept, plot, acting, creativity, vision, throughline, meaning, relevance, humanity, emotional impact, it is undoubtedly a far, far, far worse movie than Alien3, and I don't like Alien3.

Resurrection? That's more of a toss up. But at least I didn't feel I'd actively become more stupid because of the absolute mind-numbing idiocy of the plot and characters of Resurrection, whereas with Prometheus, I felt like I'd been bludgeoned by a conspiracy theorist half-wit to try and bring me down to his level. It was kind of like being beaten up by a beautiful but extremely stupid man.

Covenant is about equally bad to Resurrection in terms of terrible, hackneyed writing (not Whedon's best work), but has even dumber ideas and is a lot less fun, and given how dumb the ideas in Resurrection are, that's saying something. So Resurrection edges out Covenant. Also both Alien3 and Resurrection were attempts to do something different, whereas Prometheus and Covenant were both ultimately attempts to just try and recapture Alien, but with more cod philosophy and attempts at grand guignol which didn't actually work as well as they did in Alien (in part because so many of them were accidentally funny rather than scary or horrific).

Remove ads