What's the WORST Star Wars movie?

What's the WORST Star Wars movie? (vote for up to 3)

• Ep I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Ep 2: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Ep 4: A New Hope

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 6: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ep 7: The Force Awakens

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Ep 8: The Last Jedi

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Ep 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Rogue One

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Solo

Votes: 16 10.2%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'd say I think you're confusing being pretty with quality. It's okay, a lot of people do it. Prometheus is lovely to look at. On every other level - script, dialogue, concept, plot, acting, creativity, vision, throughline, meaning, relevance, humanity, emotional impact, it is undoubtedly a far, far, far worse movie than Alien3, and I don't like Alien3.
I think Prometheus is salvageable with a script pass and better editing. (Even the infamous "running from the rolling spaceship" scene just needs them to turn earlier to make it seem less dumb -- they were panicked but snap out of it.) The leech things don't need the helmet removed to go all proto-facehugger -- just let them smash through it or cut the suit and slither inside around the face shield.

The idea that the xenomorphs were a biological weapon for a war fought between factions of Engineers isn't a bad one if you establish that they were apparently taking advantage of an organism, or category of organism, that predates them, rather than tidily explaining everything away. (This would even work with Covenant, which doubles down on this dumb idea.)

I like that Prometheus was trying to reach for cosmic horror here: "God/ancient astronauts exist, but to the extent they remember us, they want to wipe us out." The execution was sloppy.
Resurrection? That's more of a toss up. But at least I didn't feel I'd actively become more stupid because of the absolute mind-numbing idiocy of the plot and characters of Resurrection
Woof. Really? I can't think of a single element of Resurrection that did not irritate the crap out of me, including the cringe-inducing characters.
Covenant is about equally bad to Resurrection in terms of terrible, hackneyed writing (not Whedon's best work), but has even dumber ideas and is a lot less fun, and given how dumb the ideas in Resurrection are, that's saying something.
Covenant reeks of Scott just seething that people wanted an Alien film like, you know, marketing had claimed Prometheus would be. Him wanting to salt the earth of the franchise is so weird. Just do another film instead, man. You're Ridley Freaking Scott.

I think Prometheus is salvageable with a script pass and better editing.
I get what you're saying but it's not a script pass - it's deletion of huge chunks of the script and the main subplot - all the godawful religious ancient aliens bollocks needs to go. Like, there can be ancient aliens, but not who started intelligent life on Earth and all that utter drivel. And everything that comes out of Shaw and Holloway's mouths is absolute brain-dead drivel. As is a lot of Weyland's stuff - and he needs to be renamed because that's just "Everyone is a Skywalker" bollocks.
I like that Prometheus was trying to reach for cosmic horror here
Disagree. Scott intentionally shoved that aside for ancient aliens bollocks of the cheapest kind, and just forgot any real horror, especially existential horror, by making the Engineers basically just be giant humans in both appearance and behaviour. Basically Stargate-level stuff. By making it so obvious and so talky and so full of brain-damaged rants trying to "important" the horror was absolutely zeroed. Honestly so many lines just drag the movie down. If they deleted 75-90% of the lines in the movie it would be so much better.
Woof. Really? I can't think of a single element of Resurrection that did not irritate the crap out of me, including the cringe-inducing characters.
Resurrection was more "bleh" than irritating to me. Alien3 irritated the crap out of me - but I could see what it was doing at least. Prometheus was just giant towering pile of stupidity piled on insulting notion piled on brain-damaged dialogue piled on scenes which require the characters which to be literally be small children with no instincts. And in no case is it just one or two incidents - it's over and over and over and over. I've never seen anything like it. You couldn't easily replicate it. It's like it was making a huge, concerted effort to be as bad and dumb as possible. So compared to Resurrection, which was just "bleh", yeah, I was blown away by how bad and dumb Prometheus was.

Argyle King

Legend
A kamikaze pilot killed 3000 people in a terror attack 22 years ago. And that's why we've been dealing with constant kamikaze terror attacks ever since.

oh wait no

Suicide bombers are a thing.

Tactics of that nature aren't unique to one occurrence.

Heck, fire ships were a known tactic even in ancient times.

Mercurius

Legend
Pretty clear #1 and top 4. I couldn't choose between the four, and ended up voting for 1-3, with Attack of the Clones sneaking by because of the cool arena scene. But it could easily have snuck in past the Last Jedi.

I'm honestly curious who the person is who (presumably) voted for both A New Hope and Empire. Not as a "shame on you" thing, but wondering if they're serious and if so, why.

Remove ads