What's the WORST Star Wars movie?

What's the WORST Star Wars movie? (vote for up to 3)

• Ep I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Ep 2: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Ep 4: A New Hope

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 6: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ep 7: The Force Awakens

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Ep 8: The Last Jedi

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Ep 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Rogue One

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Solo

Votes: 16 10.2%

The part that didn't land for me about that scene was those terrible bomber designs. Star Wars has always borrowed heavily from a WWII aesthetic, but the slow, lumbering bombers that drop their payload directly downwards, in space, just felt like it went from aesthetic to direct adaptation with no regard for medium, and the idea that the Resistance would consider using them in such a strike just felt wrong.

This definitely gets at a taste issue I think. For me that wasn't really a problem. I liked how the bombers looked on screen and star wars has always felt very 'we are in space but the physics is more like real world dog fighting'. But I do get the critique. I think it is going to boil down to what leaps out at you when you are watching and what disrupts believability for you.

I liked the chemistry in TFA. I thought Finn and Poe bromancing as they stole a TIE Fighter was great, as was Finn and Rey connecting as they stole the Millennium Falcon. One of the great shames of the subsequent movies is that they didn't really build on that.

Finn and Rose was fine, but they were ill-served by the plot, their actions ultimately being not merely ineffective but actually counterproductive.

What worked for me in TLJ were Poe's journey towards leadership via Leia's example, and Rey's journey towards understanding the Force through both Luke and Kylo.

Overall I think Finn really kind of got mismanaged from one movie to the next. The first two started with interesting directions but because they never committed to them and never revisited them, it felt more like TV show logic to me than movie logic (in a movie I expect something introduced in an early scene or early film to be followed upon later, whereas I get with a show they may be trying different things out because its more about what sustains the show over a long haul). I think the peak moment for that in the films is Finn saying he had something to tell Rey that seemed super important, but either I missed what the big revelation was or they just dropped it.

I didn't have a big problem with their adventure being counterproductive but I do wish it was more like Empire (which I do think they were going for) where it really amped up stakes and led us naturally into the next film with lots of anticipation-----the B plot in empire was a failure too but it resulted in Han being frozen in carbonite so the stakes were raised and it gave a lot of meaning to that final shot with Luke standing with his new hand next to Leia (and most importantly it made you really want to see the next movie).

I wasn't as big a fan of the direction they went with Poe. I also think they really misused Oscar Isaacs talent because he is usually wonderful in anything I have seen him in (if you haven't seen it, I highly, highly recommend watching him in the film Agora). I liked him in the first movie but he felt either annoying or dull to me in the second 2

Also they should have killed Chewbacca. That was the one poignant moment in the final film that worked and really brought clarity to Rey's character for me, then they just undid it.

Zardnaar

Legend
This definitely gets at a taste issue I think. For me that wasn't really a problem. I liked how the bombers looked on screen and star wars has always felt very 'we are in space but the physics is more like real world dog fighting'. But I do get the critique. I think it is going to boil down to what leaps out at you when you are watching and what disrupts believability for you.

Overall I think Finn really kind of got mismanaged from one movie to the next. The first two started with interesting directions but because they never committed to them and never revisited them, it felt more like TV show logic to me than movie logic (in a movie I expect something introduced in an early scene or early film to be followed upon later, whereas I get with a show they may be trying different things out because its more about what sustains the show over a long haul). I think the peak moment for that in the films is Finn saying he had something to tell Rey that seemed super important, but either I missed what the big revelation was or they just dropped it.

I didn't have a big problem with their adventure being counterproductive but I do wish it was more like Empire (which I do think they were going for) where it really amped up stakes and led us naturally into the next film with lots of anticipation-----the B plot in empire was a failure too but it resulted in Han being frozen in carbonite so the stakes were raised and it gave a lot of meaning to that final shot with Luke standing with his new hand next to Leia (and most importantly it made you really want to see the next movie).

I wasn't as big a fan of the direction they went with Poe. I also think they really misused Oscar Isaacs talent because he is usually wonderful in anything I have seen him in (if you haven't seen it, I highly, highly recommend watching him in the film Agora). I liked him in the first movie but he felt either annoying or dull to me in the second 2

Also they should have killed Chewbacca. That was the one poignant moment in the final film that worked and really brought clarity to Rey's character for me, then they just undid it.

Heh killing Chewbaca us also a rehash they end that in 1999.

Big problem I had was the First Order was suppisedvro ve better than the Empire hutvtheyrecactualky worse.

The Empire was vicious un ESB and even ANH the TIE fighters maul the rebels.

First order is just an imperial clone worse yet being used for comic relief. Their TIEs stuck and tgey don't have anvequivilentbof Vader or the Emperor (Hux comic relief, Smoke wasted, Kyle to emo/wishy washy).

Wpukdvhave bought the First Order if they were similar to Imperial rebels or something than a knock off Empire that eonehow had bigger star destroyers, bigger superweapons and a complete clown show leadership.

Zardnaar

Legend
The Last Jedi was quite good, really. Loved the depiction of Luke, particularly.

Reception to that ones mixed. There's around 4-5 worse SW movies though ymmv.
I don't think it's a bad movie as such but its a poor sequel as TFA despite its flaws at least set things up for a follow up.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Reception to that ones mixed. There's around 4-5 worse SW movies though ymmv.
I don't think it's a bad movie as such but its a poor sequel as TFA despitevits flaws at least set things up for a follow up.
Fair take. It's a better sequel than Riae of Skywalker was...anything. Last Jedi was far better than either in that trilogy, and for my money better than any of the Prequels (because at least it had ideas, and was fun rather than embarrassing).

I was lucky that I saw Last Jedi after hearing people bellyaching about it for months, so my expectations were calibrated to be receptive to what it was rather than hoping it was amazing (as opposed to the Mandalorian, which outdid the hype I had heard about it going in).

For what it is worth, I ended up waiting like a year or more to see Last Jedi just so all the online discussions wouldn't impact my viewing of it. I do feel that made a difference as the conversational around it felt pretty stale by that point

Zardnaar

Legend
Fair take. It's a better sequel than Riae of Skywalker was...anything. Last Jedi was far better than either in that trilogy, and for my money better than any of the Prequels (because at least it had ideas, and was fun rather than embarrassing).

I was lucky that I saw Last Jedi after hearing people bellyaching about it for months, so my expectations were calibrated to be receptive to what it was rather than hoping it was amazing (as opposed to the Mandalorian, which outdid the hype I had heard about it going in).

More or less went into it blind. There's a good movie hidden in there somewhere. Eg Canto bight didn't need to be done, the chase thing didn't need to be most of the movie.

And some concepts in it were wrong place wrong time the concepts weren't bad eg the kid force sensitive.

Watched AotC years ago skipping scenes cut it down to about an hour. Seemed to improve the movie.

And RoS is just a mess. TLJ doesn't gave that although one can point out execution of some scenes eg Canto Bight, Hux as comic relief.

Even RoS could be reddened it's basic idea is almost a trilogy by itself. Emperor coming back via clones usnt exactly original but makes sense in universe. That's not a major problem by itself.

pukunui

Legend
I think the peak moment for that in the films is Finn saying he had something to tell Rey that seemed super important, but either I missed what the big revelation was or they just dropped it.
The implication there is that he is also Force sensitive, which so far has only been confirmed via a Lego Star Wars cartoon on Disney+.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
More or less went into it blind. There's a good movie hidden in there somewhere. Eg Canto bight didn't need to be done, the chase thing didn't need to be most of the movie.

And some concepts in it were wrong place wrong time the concepts weren't bad eg the kid force sensitive.

Watched AotC years ago skipping scenes cut it down to about an hour. Seemed to improve the movie.

And RoS is just a mess. TLJ doesn't gave that although one can point out execution of some scenes eg Canto Bight, Hux as comic relief.
The U.S. television edit of Attack of the Clones was actually a better movie, because they cut some of the idiotic dialogue scenes for time.

Remove ads