What's the WORST Star Wars movie?

What's the WORST Star Wars movie? (vote for up to 3)

• Ep I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Ep 2: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Ep 4: A New Hope

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 6: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ep 7: The Force Awakens

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Ep 8: The Last Jedi

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Ep 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Rogue One

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Solo

Votes: 16 10.2%

The implication there is that he is also Force sensitive, which so far has only been confirmed via a Lego Star Wars cartoon on Disney+.

That definitely needed fleshing out in the film if that is the case. It seemed important. But to have it just be something implied or dealt with in expanded material feels very unsatisfying to me. I don't mind a mystery. But that felt like a hanging thread

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't mind romance at all in Star Wars the execution matters eg Han-Leia or Bastika-Revan. If a video game does it better though you're in trouble.
Oh, for sure. Attack of the Clones "romance" wasn't remotely romantic, nor compelling. The musical theme was pretty solid, though.

The U.S. television edit of Attack of the Clones was actually a better movie, because they cut some of the idiotic dialogue scenes for time.

That dialogue really killed the movie for me. I still do enjoy Attack of the Clones. It is just so bad in those moments. I also feel like this is something that captures a key part of what made the first star wars work, but was so hard to replicate: corny, even bad, dialogue, delivered well by gifted actors or by people with the charisma to pull it off. Normally Portman is a fine actor but in this movie, I don't know if it was the direction or if just that it was outside her wheelhouse, but that combination of performance and bad dialogue was painful to watch (then compare that to the nerfherder scene in Empire and you can really see a big difference; or even to some of Luke's corny dialogue at the start of a New Hope).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Apropos of nothing, Revenge of the Sith has the best composed and arranged musical score of the entire Star Wars franchise. I have no desire to watch that film again, but if I wanted to listen to John Williams Star Wars music...it has to be the Revenge of the Sith album.

Rise of Skywalker is nothing except hanging threads.

I would agree there are lots of hanging threads. And that isn't all that is wrong with it. It started out kind of interesting but got so messy and mishandled so many of its characters, by the end it just doesn't hold up. I also think it was just built too much like a ride. It didn't feel like a movie. The star wars films often have that ride component but there is a movie in there too and there is heart in there as well.

Zardnaar

Legend
Rise of Skywalker is nothing except hanging threads.

Doesn't even do that particularly well just pulls threads out of thin air. Why? Doesn't matter cut to next scene.

TLJ made TFA worse retroactively, RoS made TLJ worse.

Dumb thing is if you rearranged things a bit there's an actual trilogy in there somewhere. Have palps return in part 2, Snoke die Part 3 like Dooku/Jabba, Palpatine at the end.

And yeah even Dark Empire wrapped up how to stop Palps returning via clones over and over. He could theoretically do it again. Disney won't I suspect but in universe logic there's nothing stopping him coming back.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That dialogue really killed the movie for me. I still do enjoy Attack of the Clones. It is just so bad in those moments. I also feel like this is something that captures a key part of what made the first star wars work, but was so hard to replicate: corny, even bad, dialogue, delivered well by gifted actors or by people with the charisma to pull it off. Normally Portman is a fine actor but in this movie, I don't know if it was the direction or if just that it was outside her wheelhouse, but that combination of performance and bad dialogue was painful to watch (then compare that to the nerfherder scene in Empire and you can really see a big difference; or even to some of Luke's corny dialogue at the start of a New Hope).
The actors in the original film were good enough to rise above the cornball dialogue, but for Empire and Jedi...Lucas wasn't the screenwriter or director, unlike the Prequels. He did the story outline and was a heavy handed producer, but he didn't do any of the dialouge in Empire, nor did he direct Ford and Fisher together.

Remove ads