What's the WORST Star Wars movie?

What's the WORST Star Wars movie? (vote for up to 3)

• Ep I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Ep 2: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Ep 4: A New Hope

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 6: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ep 7: The Force Awakens

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Ep 8: The Last Jedi

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Ep 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Rogue One

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Solo

Votes: 16 10.2%

Stalker0

Legend
Phantom Menace as number 1. At the time it came out Star Wars fever was through the roof, and this movie brought it crashing down.

While attack of the clones was a worse movie to me, the bar had already been reset, so it didn’t have the same sting.

Number 2 would be last Jedi. The dumbest plot in all of Star Wars, boring as hell except for Luke’s fight scene, and took what force awakens gave it and just threw it away. It was so bad that it made force awakens (which while not a perfect movie was a fun and decent Star Wars movie) and made it worse.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
9 is incoherent, 2 is a slog, 1 is an exercise in excess, 3 is doing it's best to bridge the gap between two distant points, and 7 is almost nothing but a rehash. It's a country mile in quality between those and the rest.

delericho

Legend
Attack of the Clones.

I pretty much hated "The Last Jedi", but I must give it some credit for at least trying something new. Unfortunately, it failed spectacularly, leaving a massive mess for "Rise of Skywalker" to clean up. And while tRoS likewise sucked, it was about as good as it was possible to be at that point.

"Solo" was largely pointless, but I did rather enjoy it. Can't imagine I'd ever watch it again.

Stalker0

Legend
TLJ I can forgive because JJ Abrams effed things up with TFA. Luke's a hermit? There's suddenly a giant new Empire 2 Electric Boogaloo? All of the heroics of the first trilogy were pointless? And then the movie ends with a cliffhanger as you finally see Luke? That's not an easy thing to follow up on and have it be satisfying.
It’s not that hard.

New plot: when Rey finds Luke, we find out that the new republic leaned on Luke more and more as time when on (same point as the movie), but as Luke used his power more and more…he was tempted by the dark side. And for a time, it overcame him.

Luke knew that his fall would do more damage than any other threat, so he closed himself off and worked to purify himself.

This version of Luke is not a bitter hermit but a hopeful monastic, who left a map in case the galaxy did need him again and he has been working towards the light so he would be ready. This version of Luke still is greatly concerned about Rey’s darkness and is reluctant to train her, but ultimately many of the same steps can be followed.

And there you go, now you have a Luke that still works with TFAs setup, doesn’t destroy the character, and still can work with the rest of your movie if you still want the core plot to remain as is. Not even that hard, now imagine what i could figure out if I was an actual writer!

Yo, the prequels are stiff and often boring, but at least they're coherent, and at least attempt to have character arcs. The Rise of Skywalker was narrative gibberish, with heroic seeming moments that are wholly unearned and character changes that are completely unmotivated.

TLJ I can forgive because JJ Abrams effed things up with TFA. Luke's a hermit? There's suddenly a giant new Empire 2 Electric Boogaloo? All of the heroics of the first trilogy were pointless? And then the movie ends with a cliffhanger as you finally see Luke? That's not an easy thing to follow up on and have it be satisfying.

I voted only for TROS, because I hate it so much I don't want to dilute my hatred by also voting for merely 'bad' movies. Ep 9 was wretched.
I agree the hermit thing was a bad move (the first trilogy worked largely because of the chemistry between the three leads, so having Han, Luke and Leia share screen time again would have been helpful.

But I do think the choices Last Jedi made for Luke felt pretty inconsistent with the character, and the tone just didn’t work (that kind of quirkiness worked with Yoda but Luke is not Yoda, he just isn’t that kind of character). I did find Last Jedi entertaining, it was definitely very well shot and there was more craft behind it than than 7 or 9 (which visually both kind of felt like overwhelming light displays to me). I also found the romance between Rose Tico and Finn to have a lot of chemistry, so it was kind of dumb when they completely avandoned that romance and left Tico to hang out in the forest while 9 happened. She should have been with the main group in 9 or doing something individually with Finn for 9.

But as the center of a three part trilogy it really didn’t do anything to bridge 7 to 9 or allow for a real story arc over the three films. If last Jedi had been the last film in the series I think it’s choices would have made more sense. I don’t blame the director though, I blame Disney for structuring the movies so that you effectively had two directors working against each other.

I vote for (or should it be "against") the sequels because they were just such an inconsistent mess. TFA turns our hero accomplishments to ashes and turns them into failures in an attempt to copy the winning fomrula of A New Hope. TLJ nails the failure of our heroes down even further, kicks out anything potentially interesting from TFA, can't stand on its own message, and requires stupid plot contrivances to both aid and hinder the characters. Finally tRoS shits on the predecessors redeeming features, tries to cram the actual second movie required to set up this movie in a montage, still finds something the protagonists of the first 6 movies accomplished to ruin by bringin back an old villain, does some fake-outs, and is overall a jumbled incoherent mess. And all this with characters that are underutilized and the inability to actually show character growth.

The prequels really weren't that great IMO either, but at least there was a storyline that overall made sense, between weak humoristic attempts with dumb robot armies and Jar Jar Binks, poor performance of a tragic romance, overinflating the power of Jedi and making the alleged good guys use clone slave armies.

Can't we rather go on voting for best Star Wars series and vote for Andor? ;)

Remove ads