What's with all the new folks?

smootrk

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Possibly, though apparantly they are also useful for the mods in a "That Otu guy should know better with his ton of posts that to do THAT!" way.
Knight "Not that I'd DO that" Otu

I agree that the mechanism for post counts is vital to admin of the site. I only see the post counts as stifling newbies from speaking out on topics. After all, why take anyone seriously if they only have 50 posts to their name... they obviously aren't serious about their hobby ;) (sarcasm). The post count could easily be viewable by staff members, yet ommitted for the rest to help promote inclusion of the newbies.

This opinion is not just a personal rant, I study psychology and motivational techniques. Techniques like the post count only fuel personal ego's (much like the 'levels' we all love, but without the added abilities). They do nothing for promoting free dialog on subjects.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
smootrk said:
Having high post count does not necessarily mean any sort of credibility or knowledge... it only indicates someone who talks alot. In the geekish world of computers, rpg's, books, astonomy, jeapordy, I have noticed many who spout opinions as if they are facts for everyone else.
Interesting.

Knight Otu

First Post
smootrk said:
This opinion is not just a personal rant, I study psychology and motivational techniques. Techniques like the post count only fuel personal ego's (much like the 'levels' we all love, but without the added abilities). They do nothing for promoting free dialog on subjects.
Indeed. I often feel ignored in discussions outside of certain forums here. ;)

But yes, post count doesn't do anything good for the average poster beyond feeling good, and some minor recognition.:)

reveal

Adventurer
smootrk said:

So you tell us that you study psychology and, therefore, can recognize that postcount's only "fuel personal ego's" but you also tell us that "In the geekish world of computers, rpg's, books, astonomy, jeapordy, I have noticed many who spout opinions as if they are facts for everyone else." Just an observation. :confused:

reveal

Adventurer
Knight Otu said:
Indeed. I often feel ignored in discussions outside of certain forums here. ;)

But yes, post count doesn't do anything good for the average poster beyond feeling good, and some minor recognition.:)

The operative word being minor. :)

smootrk

First Post
reveal said:
So you tell us that you study psychology and, therefore, can recognize that postcount's only "fuel personal ego's" but you also tell us that "In the geekish world of computers, rpg's, books, astonomy, jeapordy, I have noticed many who spout opinions as if they are facts for everyone else." Just an observation. :confused:

Kinda hard to talk into a forum without making some judgements or assumptions or stating an opinion.

I am part of that geekish world, just ask my wife. I should have clearly stated that this is also an opinion on the mannerisms of many of the intelligent folks who play rpg's. Nuclear Engineering was the field of study for me (in the US Navy) and believe me.... many of the superior intellect people who understood the inner workings of the fleet were still socially inept. Many (opinion again) only had any authority or recognition based on time in rank, not for their great leadership abilities (much like Post Counts go up over time, regardless of any insight or knowledge).

My opinions just represent my views on the subject. My father told me a proverb once:

Opinions are like a**holes.... everybody has one. Yep... I got one too.

(still no offense taken or meant to be given by my views, they are only meant to address how a simple change in the nature of this website could help promote more inclusion by newer people.)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Nifft said:
We need the new folks.
It's well known that the Lich-Queen Crothian eats the soul of anyone whose post count exceeds 4k.

-- N

DAMN!

That's where the bloody thing went. I just figured I had misplaced it last week when Dextra was really sick and the house started falling apart... figured I'd find it sooner or later, under the counter, or maybe between the couch cushions, or perhaps next door at my parental units' abode.

Just my luck that the Lich Queen ate the bloody thing.

Now what am I going to sell to the devil to make my next book award-winning?

Remove ads