• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's with all the new folks?

reveal

Adventurer
smootrk said:
...they are only meant to address how a simple change in the nature of this website could help promote more inclusion by newer people.)

One thing I've always loved about this board is inclusion. Yes, there are a few people who are buttheads but, in general, people here are very understanding. For example, I see a lot of the same questions posted over and over. Rather than yell at them for being a "tard," or some other flameboy name, most people either answer the question or politely point them to where they can find a better answer (i.e. "You should have posted this in X forum"). :)

In general, however, I definitely agree with you. There are a lot of message boards out there where people feel they deserve the right to be a butthead simply because they have been using it longer than others.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
reveal said:
I'm almost to the point where I can move faster than time. :)
when you get to that point, let me know. You'll be more efficient at getting things to where they need to be that the postal service and UPS combined!

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Galethorn said:
I have to agree that there's a certain amount of elitism among those with the 4-5 digit postcounts, and that such a thing isn't healthy for the forum...

Totally!

I never reply nor quote anyone with a post-count in the three digits or less. :)

I actually tend to disagree regarding the elitism thing. There may be a small amoutn among SOME of the users in question, but the vast majority or the 1k+ posters are just talkative, not elitist.

reveal

Adventurer
HellHound said:
I actually tend to disagree regarding the elitism thing. There may be a small amoutn among SOME of the users in question, but the vast majority or the 1k+ posters are just talkative, not elitist.

We just don't know when to shut the heck up!

smootrk

First Post
reveal said:
In general, however, I definitely agree with you. There are a lot of message boards out there where people feel they deserve the right to be a butthead simply because they have been using it longer than others.

I don't mean to say that there is much flaming or bashing here. I find the forums to be very well behaved in general... much better than other avenues.

I was just speaking my opinion on the nature of ' inferiority complexes ', however minor, that the newer people have when attempting their first posts.

Speaking statisticly, if only 10% did not feel comfortable sharing their views, I would consider it a problem. That's 100 out of the approximately 1000 who are on the site at any one time. In my opinion, even a 1% failure rate is something that could be addressed as a problem. If the site admin looks at the situation like that, maybe they could see the logic of hiding the post count. They could still have the it visible for individuals own post count, or all post counts for site admin, and still in-visible to the rest.

reveal

Adventurer
smootrk said:
Speaking statisticly, if only 10% did not feel comfortable sharing their views, I would consider it a problem. That's 100 out of the approximately 1000 who are on the site at any one time. In my opinion, even a 1% failure rate is something that could be addressed as a problem. If the site admin looks at the situation like that, maybe they could see the logic of hiding the post count. They could still have the it visible for individuals own post count, or all post counts for site admin, and still in-visible to the rest.

I'm not sure hiding the post count would do much. The whole point behind this thread is I've seen a large influx of new posters. If keeping the post count visible is supposed to keep some people from posting, I don't think those people are on ENWorld. :)

Remove ads