What's with the Gnome Hate?

Vocenoctum

First Post
In the black community the gnome represents the oppression of our people. This comes out of the fact that garden gnomes are almost uniformly white and tended to be placed in suburban neighborhoods. For black people like me who are political aware, the removal of the gnome race from the PHB was a direct and virulent racist action.

I can almost see the logic of it, but it's very far reaching to think of garden gnomes as a symbol of white oppression. I don't doubt that some folks think that way, but people can make anything out to be a symbol of something.

I seriously doubt the universal aspect that a lot of black people THINK that way though, and I think you're impressing your community/ circle onto the broader community where it's just not there.

(In florida, I rarely see garden gnomes, so what, are flamingo's the symbol of white oppression?)

All that aside, I can't see how it has anything to do with 4e. D&D is a game of creation and preference. In 1e, there was someone championing the gnome at TSR, and as time went on, others championed their own ideas. I think the problem with 4e is that there isn't enough diversity among the ideas. You've got a team that all think similarly and so you get this streamlined game that cut out a lot of the stuff that made D&D flavorful.

Vocenoctum

First Post
(I was considering a variation of the Firenewt, but oh look, here's a reptilian race already written up, and its a core race!)

It's odd, I always liked reptilian races (I was going to use a 3.5 Dragonborn, had a Draconic human and a couple other things...) and tieflings were cool enough (though I prefered the old "variety").

But, 4e's versions really seem bland. I think it's just their presentation, but they just feel like "oh, and we have dragon guys and demon chicks also", rather than really feeling like they fit.

A lot of it could be the "implied setting" not being implied enough, (and tieflings being thinly veiled draenei in that horrid video certainly didn't help) but it just comes up lacking.

Psion

Adventurer
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

3048781f66e8a16.gif

Hey, macro re-re-poster!

For black people like me who are political aware, the removal of the gnome race from the PHB was a direct and virulent racist action.
OK, no offense, but that's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on ENWorld. And trust me; I read an awful lot of really ridiculous things on ENWorld.

I would say that was masterfully trolled, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you might actually be serious.

Bump2daWiza

First Post
OK, no offense, but that's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on ENWorld. And trust me; I read an awful lot of really ridiculous things on ENWorld.

I would say that was masterfully trolled, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you might actually be serious.

No I am just fooling aroun y'all. I even edited the wikipedia page in case people googled it:

wikipedia gnome entry said:
Garden gnomes are often viewed as "kitsch" and in poor taste.[4] Gnomes have become controversial in serious gardening circles in the UK, and have been banned from the prestigious Chelsea Flower Show as the organisers claim that they detract from the garden designs. Gnome enthusiasts accuse the organisers of snobbery because they are popular in working class and suburban gardens.[7]
In the USA garden gnomes are often associated with racism because they were almost always white and more common in suburban neighborhoods.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
If WoTC or TSR before them had ever managed to give gnomes a distinct flavor as apart from dwarves or halflings, I think they'd have faired better. As it is, the only distinct things about them are the inherent magic use and the speaking to burrowing animals. Elves should have the former and halflings or hill dwarves the latter.

Now, if they had made gnomes cool.. I mean, look at the cool look Paizo's gnome iconic has:

lini.jpg

Remove ads