• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's Wrong with Virtual Tabletop Play?

Duvik

First Post
I'm gonna have to speak up in favor of the Virtual Gaming Tables. Somone way back on the first page asked for a link to a session log and I'll first respond by indulging him.

A favorite session I ran

Now, to those who are arguing the merits of each method of play... I find it to be a moot point. We get our game on however we see fit and I prefer to play online for one major reason... I'm married, with children, and rarely leave the house at night. I also found that playing online was the only way that I have ever found a group in person. I have not one single face to face friend who is interested in roleplaying. I mean, there are some folk up at my local gaming stores that play but, I really just can't see myself taking any of those people seriously. Most of them are just too damned young or have one of two scents about them... either extreme body odor or... extreme body odor coupled with a massive amount of some cologne or another to cover up the smell. ((Just a little joke there, really, I just seem to intimidate the folk up there, I went to sit in on a session and they all looked at me like I was insane. Though I often catch one of the two aforementioned aromas when I visit the shop to purchase minis))

Anyway, face to face gaming and gaming via a VGT each has its own merits and flaws. These have been described in length over the course of three pages in this thread and i'm not gonna bother reiterating them again.

The fact that many of you are missing is this, it's not a matter of which method is better or worse. What matters is that VGTs give folk an opportunity to experience pen and paper style gaming who would never be able to do so otherwise. An experienced DM using a Virtual gaming table can be as engrossing as watching the latest movie in your house with all the lights turned out and hot steaming bowl of buttered popcorn in your lap.

So, knock it as you might but, consider that by knocking Virtual Gaming Tables that you are basically stagnating the game and in fact limiting it's accessibility to a whole world of folk who might never otherwise partake of the pleasure that is pen and paper style role playing.

Duvik said:
So, knock it as you might but, consider that by knocking Virtual Gaming Tables that you are basically stagnating the game and in fact limiting it's accessibility to a whole world of folk who might never otherwise partake of the pleasure that is pen and paper style role playing.
I dunno. All this talk about arrogance, stagnating the game, etc. by not being interested in virtual play strikes me as a little overblown. If I choose not to play RPGs via virtual gaming, or even publicly state my disinterest in virtual play and my preference for sitting around a real table, how does that stagnate the game and limit its accessibility? I suppose you could argue that by removing myself from the pool of potential players, I'm limiting the accessibility of online play. But I find that a little silly. That's like saying that I'm limiting the accessibility of basketball by not being interested in going out for a pick-up game at the gym. Technically true, I suppose, but pretty far out there. I suppose one could say that I contribute to the limited availability of chitlins, too, because I would never eat (or buy) that nasty crap.

To me, this thread is a good example of how different preferences so easily get painted as evil or bad or wrong or arrogant or illogical or whatever. IMO, the whole thing boils down to "there's no accounting for taste," nothing more.

Last edited:

raltgaither

First Post
For my part, I moved 1400 miles away from my group and I play an older edition, so it's not always easy to find new players. I thought I would be relegated to PBEM or PBP, which I'm sure can be done fantastically well, but which I've always found in my own experience to move at a glacial pace. I was very pleasantly surprised by the possibilities offered by VOIP.

It does have some disadvantages, no doubt, and I still greatly prefer face-to-face gaming, but for anyone having trouble finding a local group or with scheduling issues (e.g. young children), I just wanted to suggest that there is a middle option available that's actually quite good, all things considered.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Philotomy Jurament said:
I dunno. All this talk about arrogance, stagnating the game, etc. by not being interested in virtual play strikes me as a little overblown. If I choose not to play RPGs via virtual gaming, or even publicly state my disinterest in virtual play and my preference for sitting around a real table, how does that stagnate the game and limit its accessibility? I suppose you could argue that by removing myself from the pool of potential players, I'm limiting the accessibility of online play. But I find that a little silly. That's like saying that I'm limiting the accessibility of basketball by not being interested in going out for a pick-up game at the gym. Technically true, I suppose, but pretty far out there. I suppose one could say that I contribute to the limited availability of chitlins, too, because I would never eat (or buy) that nasty crap.

To me, this thread is a good example of how different preferences so easily get painted as evil or bad or wrong or arrogant or illogical or whatever. IMO, the whole thing boils down to "there's no accounting for taste," nothing more.

I don't think it's too far to go to say that if someone sees "I'd rather not play at all than play online" on ENWorld they might not ever try online gaming. Even worse would be if the people posting opinions like that on this thread pass those opinions along verbally, or in forums where the opposite side doesn't present itself, and those opinions are regarded as fact. That might be what was being referred to in the post you quoted.

Even should someone have a poor opinion of online play, I would hope they would still present it as something to try to anyone that asked them about it.

Matchstick said:
I don't think it's too far to go to say that if someone sees "I'd rather not play at all than play online" on ENWorld they might not ever try online gaming.
If my opinion carried that kind of weight we'd all be playing C&C around a table. :lol:

Even should someone have a poor opinion of online play, I would hope they would still present it as something to try to anyone that asked them about it.
That's basically my take on it. I'm not interested, but I know others enjoy it, so YMMV.

2WS-Steve

First Post
For me the preference ranking goes:

1) Playing around the table with my friends.
2) Playing over the internet using Klooge and Yahoo voice with my friends.
3) Not playing at all.
4) Playing around the table with some strangers.

And, unfortunately, life is not about what you prefer -- it's about what you prefer given the alternatives.

2WS-Steve said:
For me the preference ranking goes:

1) Playing around the table with my friends.
2) Playing over the internet using Klooge and Yahoo voice with my friends.
3) Not playing at all.
4) Playing around the table with some strangers.

And, unfortunately, life is not about what you prefer -- it's about what you prefer given the alternatives.
Mine would go:

1) Playing an RPG around the table with my friends.
2) Playing around the table with some strangers (new friends!)
3) Not playing an RPG, but something else (e.g. Halo, Age of Empires II) on a computer

merelycompetent

First Post
Okay, I'm willing to try just about anything that isn't obviously harmful at least once. And I've considered setting up webcams/shipping them to friends that I don't get to game with much anymore (jobs, husbands/wives, kids, work, etc), and giving it a whirl.

So, how do I get started? Where should I begin if I want to try VT out?

Assume I've got a broadband connection, a 1.5Ghz machine, and a basic knowledge of how to install and configure Windows/OS X software.

trevorscroft

First Post
merelycompetent said:
So, how do I get started? Where should I begin if I want to try VT out?

Take a look at the home pages of some of the VTs and pick a couple to try. There are a lot of them out there, but IMO the top list can be found at the iCon GT comparison chart:

http://iconvention.org/vgtcomp.php

Click on the icon of each VT and it'll take you to their home page.

They are either free or have a free trial (I recommend trying the free ones first to see if they suite your needs). Download and give them a spin. They all work locally so you can play without being online. Once you narrow it down, contact the developers and ask for a demo. Most developers would be happy to give you a quick run through.

You might also sign up for iCon, the developers will be there giving formal demonstrations of what their tools can do. It'll be a great chance to learn more about the features and tricks that aren't obvious.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more information or direction.

Remove ads