What's Wrong with Virtual Tabletop Play?

merelycompetent

First Post
heruca said:
I figured this might be an appropriate place to let newcomers to virtual tabletop apps know that there are 33 different VT programs to choose from: 18 free ones, 8 commercially sold, and 7 abandoned by the developers (but which theoretically might still have active users around). You can find links to all of them here.

But with so many choices available, picking the right one for you can be truly daunting, so I agree with Trevor, that the short list on the iCon site is a great place to start your search. I would just add that even though KloogeWerks chose not to be on that list, it also warrants a look.

Each VT program has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and it comes down to a matter of personal preference and what your specific needs are. There are also a fair number of people who use more than one program.

Perfect - and thanks! It may take me a while to browse through them, but I'll give it a shot.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
To answer the OP's question, the only problem that I have with virtual gaming is this:

My crappy, old, PC won't support most of the programs designed to facilitate it.

That said, when I still had a shiney, new, desktop I had a lot of fun with OpenRPG and WebRPG back in the day (2000-ish).

ZombieButch

First Post
I like sitting around the living room with my friends. I like the oohs and aahs when I pull out my lovingly painted miniatures and hand-crafter terrain, and I like using them even more. I like piling way too many people into a car for a beer and pizza run before we start the next part of the story. I like throwing d20's at the players to get their attention. I like being able to glance around the room and know immediately who's engaged and who's starting to get bored.

I have tried playing online before. My wife swears by it; she's run a succession of what are by all accounts fabulously successful online games over the last... I don't even know how many years any more. She's tried several times to get me to play, and I've given it the old college try. And frankly, it bored the piss right out of me.

merelycompetent

First Post
trevorscroft said:
MapTool is the primary VT tool (Virtual Tabletop). It can be networked, or used locally for projectors or pbp. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like a walk through :)

Thank you very much for the offer :) . I may have asked the wrong questions: My understanding of a Virtual Tabletop is software that allows me to play with other gamers over the internet - IRC on d20 steroids with possible options for voice, camera, and tools specifically for gaming built in or as add-ons. When I scanned the rptools site, I was looking for that specifically. MapTool caught my eye because the player whose house we normally go to has one of those plasma screen TVs, with appropriate hookups for my laptop. The current mapping tool we use requires a fair amount of prep time and has issues with importing other graphics formats when I want to do a custom piece. If all goes well in Real Life (tm), I'll test MapTool out this week on my own TV.

Thanks!

trevorscroft

First Post
merelycompetent said:
My understanding of a Virtual Tabletop is software that allows me to play with other gamers over the internet

Exactly :) MT does this, you just start up a MT instance and File->Start Server, then have other players connect with File->Connect to server from your local network or across the internet.

Please feel free to contact me directly (information is in my profile, or PM me at the rptools forums) and I can give you more details (I'd PM you but I don't have those rights here on enworld).

Griogre

First Post
Garnfellow said:
Has anyone tried Screenmonkey? I posted this question over on the computer forum but haven't gotten any replies.
I've used Screen Monkey. Screen Monkey has several advantages and disadvantages.

Pros:

1) Runs in browser so no download/install.
2) Nice die macros.
3) Customiziable interface if you know html.
4) Light Version is free.

Cons:

1) Does not update data "on the fly". Basically the server sents a refresh of the chat and map every so often. So it runs/feels like a very fast play by post game.
2) Because it sends a flood of data out at regular intervals, whether needed or not, I found it impacted VoIP.
3) Stablilty issues with large maps.

I would suggest you download and try the light version as it is free. I ran a few sessions on it but VoIP was important to me and my players found the lag waiting for the refresh to be annoying.

snikle

First Post
Just wanted to post an update for those of you who might be interested in iCon. Here is an updated schedule for the convention happenings over the next couple of weeks:

• 15 Feb - Open Registration - We plan on opening registration to everyone on the 15th of February.
  • 1 Mar - Games/Demos Forum - Beginning 1 March, people registered will have access to the Games/Demos Forum, allowing them to sign up for games and chat with those running them.
  • 10 March - Vendor Forum - This will be open to allow you to chat with developers, answer questions, find out what you need to run games, and learn more about the Virtual Game Table applications.
  • 16 Mar - Contests - Provide upload ability to all participants, on the 24th we will open polls on the forum for each entry and allow visitors to vote on the ones they like best.
  • 22 March - General Discussion (the Lobby) - This will allow direct communications for all involved. We will also be hosting an IRC chat room "Lobby" (services provided by Serenity IRC!) so that there will be 'live' interaction at the convention, I am expecting many of the developers and vendors to be hanging out in the chat room and on the forum, so that you can chat with them directly!

Remove ads