• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's Wrong with Virtual Tabletop Play?

naturaltwenty

Explorer
Publisher
In my enormous amounts of spare time (I kid) I've often wondered why rpg companies don't take advantage of some of the tools that don't require a server/client setup, like Screen Monkey, from www.nbos.com to run demos for prospective players.

Let's say that you wanted to play Iron Gauntlets (one of the many threads at RPG.net that start out with [Sell Me] Game X). The game company could go, "Hey - come on over to our site and I'll demo this game for you". They do it all the time at con's, why not virtually? Larger software and service management companies use this type of thing all the time like using www.livemeeting.com by Microsoft to demonstrate or present things.

I know I'd like to see how Qin The Warring States is but trying to find a GM locally who'll just demo the game is very hard.

Later,

Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Gaming
www.naturaltwenty.com

snikle

First Post
naturaltwenty said:
Larger software and service management companies use this type of thing all the time like using www.livemeeting.com by Microsoft to demonstrate or present things.
Only thing I can guess is at this point, most of the VGTs are made by smaller companies, so they may not have the resources to do somethings like this (you looked at the cost of doing something with livemeeting? One site I saw said $75 per seat per month and/or 35¢ per minute, when selling a $20 game app, it just doesn't make sense). And frankly, as most of the VGTs have free demos people can try out, and many of their customers will gladly demo the program for you, why do they need to do this? Come by www.fouruglymonsters.com and ask someone on the forum to help you with a VGT, odds are they will. Heck I have even done a few myself. Or as trevor suggested, swing by one of the demos at iCon, I am pretty confident every VGT will have a demo there, if not many of them (some are already posted on the Game/Demo Schedule page). Oh, and by the way, all the VGTs that cost are giving away a few copies of the their program at the convention, so you might be lucky enough to not even have to purchase one.

naturaltwenty said:
I know I'd like to see how Qin The Warring States is but trying to find a GM locally who'll just demo the game is very hard.
That is one of the main reasons I wanted to start this convention. If more people tried VGTs, there would be a larger pool of people to play with, hence many of the smaller, less common RPGs could find a home. It's simple mathematics, the more players, the better chance to find a game in _______ system. Rumors abound about a couple of eagerly awaited Rulesets that Digital Adventures is working on for the next version of Fantasy Grounds, and a VGT like MapTool is rule agnostic so you can use any game system in it. Or if you are a die hard in the soul d20 guru, check out d20Pro.

trevorscroft

First Post
naturaltwenty said:
take advantage of some of the tools that don't require a server/client setup

I fully agree.

We (rptools.net) are in the process of making a bunch of screencast tutorials, which would give you the same effect. You can watch on your own time, no time coordination, nothing to install.

Duvik

First Post
"by knocking Virtual Gaming Tables that you are basically stagnating the game"

To the fellow who claimed this quote was targeting folk who expressed dislike... reread the statement please... it applies to those who are bashing the entire concept, not those who just evince a dislike of it.

Thanks for trying though.

Duvik said:
"by knocking Virtual Gaming Tables that you are basically stagnating the game"

To the fellow who claimed this quote was targeting folk who expressed dislike... reread the statement please... it applies to those who are bashing the entire concept, not those who just evince a dislike of it.
Oh, "knocking VGTs" = "bashing the entire concept," and doesn't equal or include "expressing dislike" for VGTs. So I can express dislike as long as I don't knock it (or bash it). I see. How could I have ever missed those distinctions? :uhoh:

Thanks for trying though.
You're welcome. I'll try to do better next time. :p

fade_moonbow

First Post
When I was younger I would enjoy face to face roleplaying. In fact my early teen years were when I did most of my pen and paper roleplaying. However, I'm an old man now. And I'd prefer not to have to travel about, and meet up with a peer group to play with. With VGT's I can find a group, regardless of age and experience, and I can be taken on board as my character without any other 'fitting in' to be done. This for me is why I prefer VGT gaming. It's an open game without any physical social effort. I also prefer the typed game to that of a VOIP game for the same reason. I don't really want to hear localised accents coming over for characters voices, I'd rather read how they say things and let my imagination create the image of how their characters look and sound.

I'm all for OOC chat beforehand, and getting to know the players as such, but in the relative comfort and safety of my own home and gaming desk. All my stuff is at hand, and I've been online gaming for a very long time now, so I'm comfortable with this mode of gaming.

I think the main point I'd like to make is that whilst face to face gaming may present some very real social advantages, the VGT cracks open pen and paper roleplaying to a whole wider audience, and it makes it more accessible to your average gamer. Its this that underpins the value of the VGT for me personally. More people playing, bigger community, more opportunities to play a more varied game.

Duvik

First Post
You're welcome. I'll try to do better next time.

No prob mate, one should always strive for improvement eh? :D

I just wanted to add another example of an online game log. The following log is a demo session I ran for a newcomer to the d20 system a few weeks back. I rarely take part in games anymore but this guy just wanted an example of how the d20 system and openRPG worked so that he could determine whether or not online gaming was for him. The small battle almost put his first level character out of commission and it was only by the luck of the dice that he survived his first encounter. Keep in mind that this is simply a one on one session, just he and I. You'll also notice some entrances and exits from folk who came and went from our room on the server to see what was happening. If one so chose, they could password protect a room to prevent such things.

Sample Online Gaming Log 2

MINI

First Post
Well as far as traveling that extra hour or whatever, it costs money. A dial up connection would suffice for online gaming on OpenRPG and it would cost about the same. The computer is a one time investment really.

Definitely don't knock it till you try it.

Scheduling is a no brainer for VT's.

One thing not mentioned is the ablity for DM's yo use teh web to share work. Just check my site:

Site

Images, maps and all kinds of things can be found on the web and shared in some way or another. Also shared nodes of game information can be traded as well. Another great advantage for VT's. I haven't done table gaming in awhile and with kids and family I really don't see it as a viable option. I've made some great online friends while gaming as well.

heruca

Explorer
I figured this might be an appropriate place to let newcomers to virtual tabletop apps know that there are 33 different VT programs to choose from: 18 free ones, 8 commercially sold, and 7 abandoned by the developers (but which theoretically might still have active users around). You can find links to all of them here.

But with so many choices available, picking the right one for you can be truly daunting, so I agree with Trevor, that the short list on the iCon site is a great place to start your search. I would just add that even though KloogeWerks chose not to be on that list, it also warrants a look.

Each VT program has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and it comes down to a matter of personal preference and what your specific needs are. There are also a fair number of people who use more than one program.

merelycompetent

First Post
Dracorat said:

Thanks - I checked out rptools.net when Trevorscroft posted the link in the thread, and may replace some of my current dice, map, or initiative helpers with those. However, I didn't find any links/downloads for virtual gaming on that page. There was a link to iCon, but again, no VT tools or how-to's. Thanks, tho!

Remove ads