• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your definition of "epic?"

SurfMonkey01

First Post
So I was having a conversation with one of my players earlier, and we were discussing "epic gaming" and what that means... and in the aftermath of our conversation, I wonder if I'm taking my epic Forgotten Realms campaign in the right directions. So now, I ask you, my distinguished peers, what "epic" means to you so that I may better decide where to take my game.

Limper

First Post
I was just hoping for rules for play over level 20.... I think they have defined it closer to myth and legend.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Epic level is anything over 20th level and/or 20th CR. Though I always considered dragon fights pretty epic, especially after ancient age category. Well...for most dragons. :)

333 Dave

First Post
Oh, any level can be epic. If the fate of the world hangs in the balance, chances are its epic. Of course, if its just really long thats epic too. The Oddesy was an epic poem.

Jaligard

First Post
I was given a great definition of "epic" in my fantasy/sci-fi class about four years ago. My notes are currently in storage.

It was something to the effect of: A grand story wherein an under-equipped hero or heroes battle against overwhelming evil forces.

One of the key points in the definition (that I recall) is that the heroes are vastly overpowered by the forces of evil.

DerianCypher

First Post
ep·ic
n.
An extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero.
A literary or dramatic composition that resembles an extended narrative poem celebrating heroic feats.
A series of events considered appropriate to an epic: the epic of the Old West.

adj.
Of, constituting, having to do with, or suggestive of a literary epic: an epic poem.
Surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size: “A vast musical panorama... it requires an epic musical understanding to do it justice” (Tim Page).
Heroic and impressive in quality: “Here in the courtroom... there was more of that epic atmosphere, the extra amperage of a special moment” (Scott Turow).

Zappo

Explorer
Anything where the stakes are really high. High as in, gods getting killed and/or worlds getting destroyed and/or mighty empires brought low.

Uller

Adventurer
Epic:

Larger than life. High Stakes. Low odds for success(or good odds of something very bad happening). Skin of your teeth. etc.

Remove ads