D&D 5E What's Your Favorite 3rd Part 5E Book Of 2021?

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
How does a setting actually meaningfully incorporate that many races?
By incorporating as many different setting ideas/premises as possible.

The "anything goes" setting was why I actually bought the book: I don't play D&D 5e (excepting the possibility a GM I know runs a game in this setting).

I am very happy with both of the 3rd party books I bought this year:

Vault of Magic from Kobold Press. Who doesn't love magic items? There's some misfires in here, but also lots of good stuff and great inspiration throughout.

Absalom: City of Lost Omens from Paizo Publishing. I'm a sucker for fantasy cities and this 398 page guide with included poster map has to be among the best.

Well, I'm not going to give up a fancy stout without some sort of description.

Well it's a set of three books, Southlands Worldbook, City of Cats Citybook and Adventure, and Southlands Player's Guide I got for supporting the Southlands kickstarter.

They are simply the best 5e products I've ever seen, the paper and cover material quality alone simply blows WotC crappy quality away.

They are 3 books instead of trying to cram all of it into one like WotC and it leads to a vastly superior product.

This is the kind of product the Forgotten Realms should have gotten and never did.

No WotC product had me just reading for hours at night for days like these books did.

The setting is rich with a mixture of plot hooks and details and unique cultures and mechanics and races, etc..., you can just loss yourself in the setting the way you simply can't in WotC 5e setting books (to be fair EGtE, VRGtR, and E: RftLW are fun reads, just not as good as the Southland books).

One unexpected thing is that the high paper quality of the Southland books left me disguisted by the poor quality of WotC's books. WotC is supposed to be the industry leader for **** sakes.

The art is absolutely gorgeous and vivid.

It's simply the most Immersion 5e setting. I don't want to spoil things. It's based on Fantasy Africa & Middle East, although there are some other things too.

It does reference other Kobold Press books for creatures too much and there is a disparity in demographics listed for the City of Cats between the Worldbook and the Citybook (personally I'd just mix the highest number of each listed race in each listing to come up with a final number, it's more fun that way), and Aasimar really should have been in the Player's Guide as they are a very important race to the setting, and having female only priesthoods is something I'd ignore, but other then those complaints it's a great set of books. Just wish the exchange rate and shipping to Canada had been cheaper.

Last edited:

I am very happy with both of the 3rd party books I bought this year:

Vault of Magic from Kobold Press. Who doesn't love magic items? There's some misfires in here, but also lots of good stuff and great inspiration throughout.

Absalom: City of Lost Omens from Paizo Publishing. I'm a sucker for fantasy cities and this 398 page guide with included poster map has to be among the best.

Is Absalom: City of Lost Omens 5e or PF 2e?

After seeing how awesome everyone's material they were responding with here was, I took a shot at a Google Sheet consolidating a lot of the info that I could imagine people liking to filter/sort by to locate the right resource for them. While I listed A TON of the resources that I have heard good things about, also consolidating most everything from this thread, I realized very quickly that this community could likely help me update it way faster and with better info than I ever could, so here is the shared/editable Google Sheet if you would like to help me update it for a better reference. If it is updated with good enough info, I may even do something cool with it for the group! The only things I ask if you are going to contribute/edit the spreadsheet:
1) Please do not add junk/inaccurate data as that is just counterproductive (I created a backup just in case)
2) Please do not create duplicate resources (I will go through this later, but please help limit the edits I have to do)
3) When filling out the "Resource Type" or "Location Type(s)" fields, while I filled these out for the existing fields where applicable (for the most part), please keep the values for those fields limited to only those seen in the respective sheets (just separate the values by commas)
4) Only list D&D resources that you would recommend to others
5) Try keeping the "Descriptions" between 2-5 sentences and at a high level (e.g., covering concise details that people would like to know when deciding if they would like to purchase/utilize that resource)

Awesome thread discussion and love hearing the D&D resources you all are enjoying!

Azuresun

Adventurer
They are simply the best 5e products I've ever seen, the paper and cover material quality alone simply blows WotC crappy quality away.

They are 3 books instead of trying to cram all of it into one like WotC and it leads to a vastly superior product.

No WotC product had me just reading for hours at night for days like these books did.

The setting is rich with a mixture of plot hooks and details and unique cultures and mechanics and races, etc..., you can just loss yourself in the setting the way you simply can't in WotC 5e setting books (to be fair EGtE, VRGtR, and E: RftLW are fun reads, just not as good as the Southland books).

One unexpected thing is that the high paper quality of the Southland books left me disguisted by the poor quality of WotC's books. WotC is supposed to be the industry leader for **** sakes.

Just a comment that you might find useful in future; I always find it offputting when someone who likes a 3pp book (or indeed, another RPG system) seems unable to talk about why it's so good without an endless string of WotC bashing. If something is actually good, then it can stand by itself without any need for putting down something else.

How does a setting actually meaningfully incorporate that many races?
For the players and DMs that I know that use this, it is more of a pick a race, any race, and the DM will just find a way to incorporate it into the world. So it's a player's fancy and whim, more than an actually used setting.

Maialideth

Explorer
I recently bought Monte Cook's Ptolus: City by the Spire for 5e, and the level of detail in it just blows my mind. Every page includes cross-references to relevant stat blocks or descriptions elsewhere in the book, and the amount of material is staggering. There's enough material in that one (670+ page) book to run several level 1-20 campaigns and not really need much else other than the core books.

Remove ads