• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite "basic" race to play (and why)?

Zappo

Explorer
Human. Humanoid races carry a whole baggage of stereotypes that sometimes get in the way of creating an original concept.

Aaron L

Hero
Elves. The majesty, magic, and beauty I just love. I know elves are unpopular around here (pr at least have vocal haters), but I dont care, I love them and always will.

Of course, I can understand people getting sick of badly played elves. Ive seen my share, and I hate it too. Arrogance is all well and good, but there should always be a wistfullness, too. Knowing that everyone else around you is going to die of old age in just a few years should affect you. Being arrogant and trying to keep non elves at a distance is just one way to deal with it.

Of the elven races, I like grey eves the best (or sun eves in FR) Just my style.

Rev. Jesse

First Post
Halfling. One obvious advantage is having an AC two points higher than a simlar human.

NPCs tend to underestimate the halfling. That and I really like playing off-type. Nobody expects the halfling to be a wizard...

Zander

Explorer
Dwarves mostly because in many ways I feel 'dwarven': I like underground places, mountains, metalworked items, stonework, crossbows, and value loyalty and tenacity.

There are some aspects of dwarven life that aren't quite me though. While I don't hate beer, I'm not particularly bibulous either. I'm not taciturn and I do have a good sense of humour.

With regards to humour (though not practical jokes which I mostly dislike) and valuing intellect, I'm more gnome-like.

Hairfoot

First Post
The A-1 answer to this is always humans. Humans play humans more than any other race, which is hardly surprising.

What interests me is the loyalty many players have to a particular race. People find some races viscerally appealing, and others repugnant.

For instance, I like Tolkien-style halflings and loathe the 3E pseudo-kender. Hobbits combine the sense and versatility of humans with a convenient, hideable humanoid form. Of course, many people find them bucolic, homely, and intensely boring, and are delighted by the "exciting" new halflings. I understand that, but I still feel you could replace kender-halflings with a race of gutter-dwelling ADHD rat furries and the only essential difference would be a marginal increase in cheese theft.

I've tried, but I can't get enthusiastic about dwarves. In fantasy they've come to be a staid and narrow-minded race, which I don't find appealing. On the other hand, they're loveable for the same reasons dogs are: commitment, consistency, and undying devotion to their comrades. But short, fat, gruff, dogmatic and parochial are just too many ticks in the "cons" column for me.

I've never seen an elf who picks his nose and leers at women. In fact, the only times I've seen an elf who wasn't a shining, flawless super-human was when an elf-phile deliberately played a short-lived "bad elf" as a caricature. That, alone, is why I've come to hate elves: they end up being an ego soak for people who want to play an angel, instead of a well-rounded player character.

Oh, and now that I've sullied the OP and half the gaming community with a spray of foam-flecked criticism, my favourite race is hobbits.

shilsen

Adventurer
Human, because they're easy, and elf, because they have qualities that I find easier to empathize with than most other races (including humans).

Remove ads