• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite "basic" race to play (and why)?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I was just thinking about all the characters I've ever had fun with, and they've been quite varied. But for some reason, the most fun has come for me while playing dwarves. I don't really understand why, but the race just "fits" me and I like the short guys a lot. I'm also a huge fan of gnomes, especially the "prankster" aspect, but that never came across very well for me in games (well, maybe a few times).

Anyway, what's your favorite "basic" race to play (by basic I mean a race that almost any DM allows, no ECL races, for example)?

fiddlerjones

First Post
Human.
I tend to play worlds where humans are the majority, and being a human makes it easier to play a character and not a race (the biggest example of playing a race is the huge number of "elf #12" characters out there). I am human, so it's easier to play a human I suppose. I like aasimar a lot as well.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Most of the time: human. I like the ethnic variety. The feat and skill points are hard to pass up, too. After that: half-elf or halfling. I never used to play halflings because the GM's would always insist they were little kleptomaniacal butterballs.

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
Plain and simple, humans... Nothing fancy, nothing exciting. I started playing D&D in 1978 (yes, I'm THAT old lol) and my second character ever was a Paladin (the first being a mage that was killed after I thought I was Rambo at first level), and since then I have played them almost exclusively. Since they were ONLY Human then, I have stuck with it. Besides... it seems no one plays humans any longer, and I like being different.

fiddlerjones

First Post
krunchyfrogg said:
What do you mean "elf #12"? I don't get it.

I mean the next generic elf. The arrogant, aloof, superiority complex laden elf wizard or archer or ranger with no character besides the stereotypical elven traits.

Odhanan

Adventurer
But for some reason, the most fun has come for me while playing dwarves. I don't really understand why, but the race just "fits" me and I like the short guys a lot.

I see what you mean. I love to play dwarves as well. Mainly because you can roleplay the guy rude at times, very loyal, very friendly and yet fierce with those he doesn't like. I feel close to that description, personally.

The only race I like to play more than dwarves is human. Because nothing replaces the versatility of humans, their spectrum of different concepts, the emotions, origins and appearances, the different types of backgrounds you may create, etc. It's the race I understand the most. Normal, I'm one of those. I just love humanity, and what it brings of good and not so good to explore and dig with a RPG session.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads