• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite "basic" race to play (and why)?

BullMarkOne

First Post
Humans mainly, although half-elves and half-orcs are tied for a close second. I've found myself on a recent gnome kick too lately, I keep coming up with good gnome npc ideas. I may have to railroad my players into a gnomish settlement in the near future.

Chimera

First Post
I have only played Humans in v3.

But as much as I would say that Gnomes are perhaps my least favorite v3 race, I have to admit that I've been seriously considering playing a Gnome Effigy Master in the next game, just for a complete change of pace.

Teemu

Hero
fiddlerjones said:
Human.
I tend to play worlds where humans are the majority, and being a human makes it easier to play a character and not a race (the biggest example of playing a race is the huge number of "elf #12" characters out there). I am human, so it's easier to play a human I suppose.
Zappo said:
Human. Humanoid races carry a whole baggage of stereotypes that sometimes get in the way of creating an original concept.
Human, mainly for the above reasons.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
I choose Dwarves because they eat bricks, drink lava and excrete awesome. And are born fully ground with huge beards.

Humans follow a close second with Halflings (I love 3E Halflings) and Half-Orcs sharing 3rd place.

arscott

First Post
I like playing humans, but mostly because I enjoy playing in campaigns where human is the only available race. IMO, non-human races far too often add nothing to a campaign but pointy ears and stat bonuses. In exchange, you lose the mysterious and otherworldly aspect of the fey. It's hard to be simultaneously terrified and enchanted by the sidhe when you meet two elves and a gnome on the way to the privy.

In games where the typical fantasy races are available, I enjoy playing elves. Because they're so-often portrayed as stereotypically elitist nature-loving aristocrats, they're very easy to play against type. My elven rogue was born and raised in a demi-human ghetto of an oppressive human-centric theocracy. He's not a big fan of the outdoors, has a healthy distain for all things religious or magical, and tends to veiw humans as elitist nature-loving aristocrats.

I'd also be interested in playing a gnome, just because they tend to recieve so little love. Just because Tolkein neglected them doesn't mean everyone else has to as well.

Mortellan

Explorer
Where are all you human playing humans at in my area? Most people I know don't play humans despite the changes in 3E, but in the rare opportunity I actually play I -always- make a human. That goes for any game system, D&D, Starwars, etc. I really believe that 3E gave humans perks because most people didn't play demihumans because they want to RP their culture and attitudes, it was because they got the perks. Take the feat and extra skill points out of 3E humans and see how many people change their answer.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
For me, it's a tie between half & half-elf. I think I played both a lot since (1) a lot of my fellow players played some elf variety in 1st/2nd ed. AD&D, and (B) both races (back in ye olde days) had a large amount of choice for classes back then.

Though the race/class limits are a thing of the past, I still tend towards humans & half-elves. Humans are more attractive now mechanically (w/ skills & feats); and half-elves are a personal favorite.

I'm contemplating half-orcs for a future character concept (I'm really thinking about playing a half-orc wizard, bard, druid, or some multiclass combo thereof); as well as halflings (either a hafling wizard who goes for a commoner look, or a halfling paladin with a riding dog for his mount) for my next couple of choices of characters.

Remove ads