D&D 5E What's your favorite race/class combination?

Ranes

Adventurer
I've enjoyed playing every character I've ever played, regardless of race/class combination. But I do enjoy going back to my roots and playing a human (generalist) wizard lore junkie. Nerd not show-off.

TornadoCreator

First Post
I quite enjoy the idea of a Dwarven Rogue or Dwarven Warlock, maybe even multiclassed Rogue/Warlock.

I'd want to have him an expert in mechanics, clockworks, engineering etc. and if possible, using a gun. A matchlock handgun is perfect. If not, a crossbow will do but it just feels less perfect for the vision in my head. Generally, I find most GMs will allow a gun as flavour and just have it use the stats of a crossbow.

Give them a focus on using thieves tools and a massive intelligence for skill points, works really well I find. Now with 5e this concept is even easier. You can just go straight Rogue and take Arcane Trickster, or my favourite way (without multiclassing) is to go straight Warlock and pay gold during play to gain extra proficiencies in thieves tools and the like, probably taking the Great Old One patron and the Tome, which would make for a rather flavoursome character I think.

If I was going to play this concept now, I'd go Rogue 2/Warlock X, and roleplay making the pact during gameplay and then switch to Warlock at third level, staying Warlock from that point on.

Last edited:

Vael

Legend
These are all older edition combos.

Warforged Artificer: I loved the idea of an Artificer that was always tinkering with his own body. An intelligent Inspector Gadget, sort of.

Changeling Factotum: I like the idea of a Jack-of-all-Trades class that can emulate other classes combined with the Changeling. I also like the Changeling Sorcerer, that was my second 3.5 character, and I want to play one again in 5th, especially since his shapechange ability pairs well with 5e charm spells.

Elf Druid: Cause I like elves, and I like Druids. My first DnD character.

Half-Elf Bard: My favourite 4e PC.

I’m a Warlock fan, especially when linked with a Noble background. I’m ambivalent about races, although Humans work best for me.

A Heavy Metal lovin Dwarven Bard has it’s appeal too.

I really enjoy Tiefling Warlocks (blade pact), although I tend to go against type and choose Fey Patrons, Good alignments, and Noble backgrounds. Stereotypes are more fun if they're a little bit twisted.

Remove ads