What's your favorite scam?

Wippit Guud

First Post
2ed - Prestigitation cantrip scam

Prestigiation can take an item off of a person, if you know it's location. The target must make a save vs spells or you gain possession of the item.

So. head to bank, exchange gem for money, they put gem in money box, you prestigitation it back out.

Easy money.

Cake Mage

Explorer
My players got a hold of a Polymorph wand or rod or something and bought a whole bunch of dogs and polymorphed them into rare and exotic birds.
ug
whats a dm to do but bring in a a etherial filtcher?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Cake Mage said:
My players got a hold of a Polymorph wand or rod or something and bought a whole bunch of dogs and polymorphed them into rare and exotic birds.
ug
whats a dm to do but bring in a a etherial filtcher?
Reminds me of that one time in 2e when a player had, for the first time, a character (an elven Ftr/Wiz 7/7 at that time) who could cast 4th-level spells. First thing he did with was get polymorph other and proceed to polymorphing an entire tribe of goblins into elves (he was a bit racist - the character, not the player, that is). He was primarily interested in female elves (former goblins), too, come to think of it... :eek:

babomb

First Post
Mine goes something like this:
"How much d'I owe ya?" asked the old rogue, upon finishing ale and tale.
"Four coppers," said the bartender.
The rogue fished in his pockets. "Hmm," he said. "All I have is this gold piece. Have ya got change?"
"Believe I do," said the bartender, taking the gold coin and putting out an electrum coin, four silvers, and six coppers in change.
"Say, why don't you get me a slab of cheese for the road?" asked the rogue, sliding over two coppers for it.
While the bartender retrieved the cheese from beneath the counter, the rogue opened his pouch to put the remaining coppers inside. "Well look here! Guess I had a silver after all!" he declared. He moved his hand toward the others, palming his new-found silver and hiding the electrum beneath the other coins, while appearing just to set the new silver coin with the rest. "Say," he tells the bartender. "I'd be hatin' to take all yer change like that. Why dontcha gimme an electrum for these five silvers?"
"Sure," said the bartender, handing him an electrum. The old rogue turned toward the door. "Wait!" said the bartender. "Ye left an electrum coin here with the silver!"
"So I did! Thank you. Honesty's a difficult quality to find these days! Well, to keep you with enough change, why don't I just give you this silver"—he then produced the coin he had palmed—"and you give me back the gold piece?"
"All right," said the bartender. "Have a nice day, then!"
As he walked down the street from the tavern, five silvers richer, the old rogue permitted himself a grin and a little skip of delight. All these years, and Cool Willie hadn't lost his touch.

Wicht

Hero
My favorite scam...

it would have to be Social Security...

oh wait, you said "in game scam" :D

As far as I can tell, a good illusionist can pretty much scam anyone he wants to in any variety of ways. It is suprising more countries do not outlaw illusions of most sorts given the ease with which they can be used to con people out of good money.

Zhure

First Post
Perform, with Skill Focus. Best moneymaking skill in the PHB. Almost zero investment in resources, just time and a good skill roll in a large city can outstrip anything a craftsman can net.

Greg

Someguy

First Post
Yes...perform can get you alot of money...espeically when the fighter is waiting for amour to be made, and the wizard is waiting for or making magic items....

Remove ads