• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite Sepulchrave moment?

ForceUser

Explorer
I've been re-reading Sep's story hour lately. It's one of only two I've ever read more than once (the other being (contact)'s Temple of Elemental Evil 2 :) ).

The brilliance of this story just astounds me. Just when you think it couldn't get any better, it does. Questions always pop into my mind: Do the players really roleplay this well, or does Sep embellish? How much of the NPC activity is known to the players, and how much is simply described by Sep "behind the scenes" in the story hour? During what moments are Mulissu, Iua and Shomei NPCs, and when are people playing them? How the hell are they ever going to rescue poor Nehael? Is it even possible? How many years have they played together, and how many years have they campaigned in Wyre? When will Sep publish ;) ?

I hope he does, because the money is burning a hole in my pocket. I long to own a copy of a Wyre novel, so this fantastic story is legitimized to my friends who scoff at fan fiction, and so I can own a Wyre book. For now, though, the story hour will have to do.

I have so many favorite moments in that story. Here are two.

Tahl presented himself, and drew a scroll – one of those confiscated from the Penitents at Deorham – from his belt. He incanted briefly, and gestured.

Rapidly, a broad swathe of water began to drain away into the bedrock. A section of the river forty yards wide, stretching from bank to bank, vanished.

Trumpets brayed, and Eadric led the charge across the dry bed of the Nund. In the van were Tahl, and Jorde with the standard, renegade Templars, Paladins and Penitents. They screamed, and the cry was taken up by the host which rode hard on their tails.

Ahma!

The reality of it was dawning on him. Tahl was gone. He could barely bring himself to look upon the corpse.

And then, the final affront. Ortwin walked up to Eadric, holding the small casket that Kalkja had hurled at the Paladin. The Bard was shaking. “I’m sorry, Ed.”

Inside, on a velvet cushion, were a pair of lips, cut from a face, and still fresh with blood.

Eadric turned away and vomited. When he raised his head again, he saw a single tall, elegant figure dressed in black walking slowly towards him.

“It is time,” Titivilus said, almost gently.

Terwox

First Post
Well... Mostin discovering timestop was wonderful.

Lessee. Oh, I enjoy... Ortwin talking to Rurunoth, Nwm raining chaos on the army, Nwm telling the peasants asking him how to call the green fire to go ask the trees, any conversations between Eadric and Titvilus, Paragon Eadric, Mostin talking to Mulissu, just... yeah.

I dunno, it's amazing, thinking about how far this story has come. The old things the characters worried about seem so much smaller -- this story is a real winner in terms of showing how the epic level handbook is very interesting in the right hands.

F5

Explorer
The Forsaken One said:
NWM going postal, that was my moment :D

Mine too. And I'd pick that moment, because so many of my favorite parts of the story have built over time, or are conceptual, rather than specific moments in time. When Nwm has been pushed too far, and he just completely cuts loose, it's sudden and surprising and entirely justified. Eadric's temptation by Titivilus, or Mostin and company's creation of the Claviger (for example) are brilliant plot developments, but I can't pick out a single moment in either of these events that had the same wow factor of watching Nwm rain fire and lightning down on opposing armies.

There are ASPECTS of Sepulchrave's story that I like more, but that scene stands out as the best single moment.

Black_Kaioshin

First Post
I'd have to say my favorite moment was when Mostin "cackled madly" as he hurled a sonically subbed chain lightning durning the invasion of Deorham. That revealed to me just how "free" Mostin really is.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Nwm's "no mercy" moment was truly a fantastic piece of writing.

According to Sep, in one of his writeups, he said that there was one time in the campaign, when he was going to take a break, where the Players made him play. Showed up on his doorstep because they couldn't bear to wait another week to find out the resolution to something. That tells you how much they enjoyed being in it, just as much as we enjoy reading it.

Personally, one of my favorite humor moments was Mostin warning Eadric against using sex with demons as a means of "metagnostic inquiry." :D

wolff96

First Post
Nwm.

He's almost always at the heart of my favorite moments.

When he single-handedly crushed 20% of an army... including their leader and many of the more important casters.

When he cast the first epic spell in the campaign -- and shocked the other players because they didn't even know he was epic.

And of course, my one non-Nwm favorite moment... Mostin asking if he could just disintegrate Iua before her first duel with Ortwin. That was hilarious. (And Nwm was there, too. Proves my point. :))

Dakkareth

First Post
For me my favourite moments were Mostin in the Far Realm and realizing the implications of the Web of Motes ... incredible :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads