D&D General What's your favorite starter sandbox region?

Voadam

Legend
Each of my favorite campaigns have started in a different places, but I think Ptolus and the Scarred Lands City of Mithril are near the top of the list. My favorite region that I've never had a chance to run in is the city of Hollowfaust, also in the Scarred Lands. A gothic, faux-Germanic, city of necromancers, built in the caldera of a dormant volcano, lead by a council of practically communist liches
Hollowfaust is run by mostly living necromancers. LN, very anti-hungry dead, use tons of animated dead for defense forces, and one necromancer ruler is a lich but was involuntarily turned if I remember correctly.

R_J_K75

Legend
I like Daggerford a lot, too, and I've got extensive notes on how to mash up Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle with Scourge of the Sword Coast, both from D&D Next. Together, they'd make a great starter sandbox.

I cant remember what I did yesterday, suppose Anheiser Bush may be tp blame but theres onebNPC that sticks out even 25 years later, Ophala Chelderstrom from the Moonstone Mask. Was that Daggerford or Silverymoon?

R_J_K75

Legend
Even when no steam is involved, steampunk tends to lean on a Victorian/first industrial revolution (aka steam power) era themes and aesthetics. Clockpunk is often set in a pre-industrial and pre-colonial era with baroque to Napoleonic/Habsburg dynasty themes and aesthetics, early firearm technology, using smaller clockwork automation and automatons.

But yeah, one is a subgenre of the other, so differences can be subtle.

Thx. Great explanation I never knew. The whole steampunk thing was really not my thing so I never looked much into it. Theres lots of conventions/meetup groups for that stuff, perhaps one of these days Ill give it a shot. Never going to meet new ppl hanging out with my 5 friends . might be a good. Time.

R_J_K75

Legend
Phlan from Pool of Radiance.

I dont run sandbox that often, but when I do they get immediate D&D goodness with the Slums, Sokol Keep, the auction, the library, the graveyard, pyramid island, the kobold cave, and eventually Tyranthraxus himself.

Its just an amazing sandbox.

Phlan in the Moonsea right? Is that the city thats racist towards demihumans?

R_J_K75

Legend
Ive seen a few Nentir Vale likes on this post. I ran a campaign there for 4E. I liked it too. The points of light concept was a really good concept. I think WotC should use that more. Ive not read the Icewind Dale book but seems like they done that with that adventure?

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
that Daggerford or Silverymoon?

Neverwinter.

And I have to agree with those who think the 4e version of Neverwinter is a good starting place as well. A bit geared to urban adventures, but still full of juice. My favorite area to start if playing in the Sword Coast.

Ive seen a few Nentir Vale likes on this post. I ran a campaign there for 4E. I liked it too. The points of light concept was a really good concept. I think WotC should use that more. Ive not read the Icewind Dale book but seems like they done that with that adventure?

Haven't read Rime of the Frostmaiden, so I can't say anything about it.

As for the Nentir Vale, I guess the WotC guys just nailed it when they designed this "pseudo-setting". The place has just everything you need to start a campaign, while giving you lot of room for your homebrewing needs.

Remove ads