Level Up (A5E) What's your favorite thing about Level Up?

peivolrivas

Villager
Hummm...
If I have to pick only one thing, it would be "Destiny" rules.
Easy rule to implement epic and purpose in the PCs. You can develop an entire campaign around this feature!

Vampersan

Explorer
So far, I have to say the Equipment section. There's so much more for the PCs to spend money on, so much depth and possibilities available to actually build a world that has any kind of economy and sense. It's one of the aspects of 5e that really felt lucklaster to me (including the lack of proper prices for magic items, etc).
Plus: vehicles, strongholds, pets, materials, customizations, alchemical supplies and herbs, etc.
I just love this stuff. It could be dropped in any 5e game and it would make it instantly better and more interesting, even without taking anything else from a5e.
This is most certainly one of the biggest, and best improvements implemented by A5e. The accumulation of wealth feels impactful again, as there's now wide variety of activities and gear to spend it on.

I would also add giving magic items a pricing scale is a welcome addition.

Doskious

Explorer
I'm really impressed by the obvious amount of thought and work and consideration that was put into the creation of a system that invites players (Narrators too) to really think about options and combinations and synergies and the richness of the story being told because so many doors exist and are open.

I've seen a lot of commentary that suggests that lots of folks might be a bit overwhelmed by the panoply of possibilities, but that's the beauty of this system: open doors are really easy to house-rule closed or "just slightly ajar" whereas closed doors often don't even look like doors at all, perhaps because bookshelves get placed in front of them as more rules-content is added to a system. It's much easier to see the plethora of practicable prospects and decide, "oof, that's maybe just slightly too much for the group just now, let's start small" than it is to catch sight of a closed door that maybe nobody's ever tried to open, and work up the confidence to yank it open to discover what's on the other side.

This is my favorite thing about Level Up: the invitation to flexibility. Flexibility, as a baseline, is empowering.

cole1312

Explorer
Now that I've had a chance to use it, I can safely say the random encounter part is the best. Was DMing odyssey of the dragonlords, and was using the journey system for the first time. Went to roll a random encounter, and with 1d100 and two 1d6 rolls I had a story that lasted quite a while. It was a lizardfolk, who I decided would be a druid, and they rolled a 6 for both of the other rolls. Which meant that they had to roll to figure out what they were dealing with and failed, and that the druid had just been ambushed by bandits. That was all the inspiration necessary to have the party deal with this creature they couldn't even really communicate with, and go get back his loot. One sneak attack (and near kidnapping...) later, they'd gotten the stone necklace the druid wanted... and then he ate it, to fill his gizzard. As a reward he gave them some healing herbs.

Later on the characters were having something of a party after a random social encounter went well, and the bard rolled exceptionally well on a performance check. So I had the lizard overhear and come find them again, and now he's become a follower for them. Specifically an inexperienced apothecary for the ranger who speaks a semi-common language with him. It's also an opportunity for stuff later in the adventure to get hinted at...

Remove ads