What's your favorite Urban Fantasy series?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
"War for the Oaks" by Emma Bull
The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher
The Laundry Files series by Charles Stross
The Scholomance series by Naomi Novik

I saw War for the Oaks while cleaning recently... two days later I finished it for the Nth time, every other book I was reading on hold.

Scholomance was a recent publish, and it's YA. Pretty fresh world building for a modern urban fantasy novel.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The Dark Tower by Stephen King

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

The Word and Void series by Terry Brooks (Running With The Demon is my favorite of his books)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Oh! And the first few Thieves' World anthologies. They slipped my mind because they take place in an entirely fictional world, but I think they still count as Urban Fantasy (the stories all take place in and around the city of Sanctuary and its cast of citizens, magic and otherwise).

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Another vote for Rivers of London. It grounds its fantasy in reality wonderfully, the characters are compelling and its treatment of magic is unusual and interesting.

Dioltach

Legend
It seems the pickings are slim in the urban fantasy genre. I'll toss in one that hasn't been mentioned yet, with the caveat that I've only read the first two books: Magic Ex Libris, by Jim C. Hines.

Jim C. Hines is perhaps best known for Jig the Goblin. I think all D&D players should those books.

I'm not super big on Urban Fantasy, but so far I would say, I'd rank Rivers of London a bit better than Dresden Files. Unfortunately, RoL lost a bit of it's appeal for me by book 6 (I stopped afterwards). And I only read 5 books of Dresden Files so far, so maybe it's getting more interesting afterwards.
Also, I have Laundry Files on my reading list, but didn't get to it so far.

Last edited:

Remove ads