What's your Kickstarter success rate?

gribble

Explorer
Wow... I'm astounded by such low success rates. I've backed 146. Of those I only have two for which I no longer expect to get any rewards (Axes & Anvils by Mike Nystul, and Forsaken Fortress, a post apocalyptic survival computer game). Even for those, I have seen at least something (playtest version of A&A, and a playable demo of FF).

Sure, many, if not all of my kickstarters have been late - in some cases extremely - but I still expect to receive something from all the rest. Admittedly, there may be handful of others which are starting to look a little dodgy (Shadowrun Online - although again, the computer game has been delivered, even if the physical rewards look like they may not, Alas Las Vegas, After Reset computer game, TableTop Props - covered wagons).

Still, even counting those as "failures" I have > 95% success rate, over a large number of projects. I've found they typically do *eventually* deliver, you just have to be a little patient.

I backed 5 kickstarters. 4 of them delivered. The one I'm really disapointed about is the tact-tiles. They simply didn't delivered what they promised. What they sent had little to do with the tact-tiles that existed in the 2000s.

The 1 kickstarter that hasn't delivered yet is the Torment computer game. It's late, but I don't mind.

I backed 5 kickstarters. 4 of them delivered. The one I'm really disapointed about is the tact-tiles. They simply didn't delivered what they promised. What they sent had little to do with the tact-tiles that existed in the 2000s.

The 1 kickstarter that hasn't delivered yet is the Torment computer game. It's late, but I don't mind.

How so in regards to Tact-Tiles? I know the colour is darker than the previous Tact-Tiles, but I've been pretty happy with mine.

manduck

Explorer
I've only backed one and I received it. So I'm at 100%. I backed the pen and paper role playing game Worlds in Peril. It was late, but that's fine considering the end result was an absolutely great game. My group loves it.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
I've backed 127 projects
13 are not due yet
6 are in process (meaning that I get multiple books over time, so those I consider successful as I have the first of each)
11 are up to 1 year late
3 are 2 + years late (One of these, the d100 by John Casteele will probably never deliver: Backers are still waiting on "September's update coming soon"....
1, Center Stage Miniatures/Matt Solarz never delivered and he declared bankruptcy after not fulfilling a single pledge from 2 Kickstarters. Backers who filed claims are waiting for what will probably amount to a check for $1 despite how much they pledged.

So most are successful. I would say that probably around 50% are late, but that can be mitigated by effective communication by the Project Manager.
Oh, if you back an Onyx Path Kickstarter ,just add on 6-8 months to whatever they say in terms of estimated delivery.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
44 backed
04 unsuccessful or cancelled
40 total
--------------------------------
9 scheduled for release in 2016
18 received or partially received (this is a pdf but not a hard copy)
58%

Given up on seeing a couple of them.

The ones I backed all delivered, technically, but I was not at all happy with the results. I finally decided that it just wasn't worth it, so I don't back Kickstarters anymore. These days I buy games after the reviews are out and/or I can look at someone else's copy.

Riley

Legend
I realised today that over the last few years I've backed 14 Kickstarters but only received rewards from 5 of them.

What are your Kickstarter stats?

5/14? Ouch.

I've backed 30 Kickstarters. 1 cancelled prior to collecting funds (and my pledge was only $1). 13 delivered, 16 pending fulfillment (and not yet due).

I'm a bit cautious with most of them; the vast majority of the projects I've backed were from producers with a proven track records either in prior KS's, or better yet in the standard marketplace. I've been very well-served by: Reaper, Dwarven Forge, Larry Elmore, Red Box Games, Terratiles, Crazy Bricks, Bill Trammel, Jamey Stegmaier, and Johnny Lauck.

I am currently trusting in: Reaper, Dwarven Forge, Goodman Games, Green Ronin, Kobold Press, Sasquatch, Crazy Bricks, and Iron Wind Metals. I'm going out on a limb for miniature terrain from Pedion from Greece, because the stuff just looks so very cool.

Last edited:

How so in regards to Tact-Tiles? I know the colour is darker than the previous Tact-Tiles, but I've been pretty happy with mine.

The color is not an issue for me. I mind that it's very rigid. They also only lock on the X or Y axis. You can't flip a room around, unless you do a 180 degree turn.

Now, it's possible that it's my memory of the old tact-tiles that's way off. But I don't think so.

It's the only kickstarter I ever regretted in backing.

Nytmare

David Jose
My numbers are screwy because I spent the first three or so years that I knew about Kickstarter just pimping projects that I liked to other people who I knew would fund them. Of those, I only remember one (I'm sure there were more) that would have gone belly up on me, and that was Uber's Human Resources video game.

The Kickstarter that finally convinced me to join up was Tuesday Knight's Games Two Rooms and a Boom which I missed, but I was so enthralled with it (and the ensuing poo-fest that arose around them struggling with the manufacturing process) that I decided I wanted to be in on and help with the next project that caught my eye.

The first one I kicked was White Wizards EPIC this past fall, and since then I've managed a healthy five arrived or close to on track out of six. The one that ended up not kicking was Mech Deck which would have probably only been a temporary patch over the Battletech shaped hole in my heart anyway.

Remove ads