• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whedon sounds death knell for Firefly/Serenity

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The trailer I saw for Serenity spent 90% of its runtime extolling the wonder of Joss Wheadon and how great Buffy & Angel were. Or at least that is the only thing I could remember from it after the movie.

KaosDevice

Explorer
Joss has talked about doing more with Firefly in comics (like he did with the 3 part Serenity mini and the comic book Fray) personally I think that could be kind of nifty. A Serenity graphic novel would look awful shiney on my bookshelf.

Rackhir

Explorer
For what it's worth, when I was at Best Buy yesterday, they had sold out of the Widescreen edition of Serenity and only had a handful of Fullscreen versions left.

Arnwyn

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
No, really. The Internet is for pr0n. Everyone says so. :)
What was I thinking? You are, of course, absolutely right. :D

(Messageboards are for disagreeing!)

Last edited:

TwistedBishop

First Post
DonTadow said:
It didn't seem to have the best release date. I think it would have done much better as an early summer/spring box office movie as far as a fall when everyone's pretty much sci fied out by then and don't want to take the risk.

I finally saw the film yesterday, and I loved it. That they placed it incorrectly is probably true, afterall it's Universal, right? Land of the Dead and this, way to go!

However, I don't think the blame can be entirely laid at their feet. Moments that are absolutely huge for the established fan (deaths, quips, small character moment payoffs) had to have sailed right over the heads of walk-in viewers, robbing the film of much of its power. The milieu was very hastily sketched out, along with the characters, which probably couldn't be helped given time constraints and the need to push the story forward, but just further muddies the waters for those trying to make sense of it.

In the end, I think people left the theater having enjoyed the core story (and a FREAKING FANTASTIC bad guy), yet missing out on most of what made the film special. This is a movie that absolutely needed word of mouth to spread, and considering all these things, it's not surprising it didn't happen. Which, sadly, leaves us right back where we started: a small hardcore fanbase.

Personally, I'm not that depressed about it. We got the resolution to the story in big movie form and it was good. Most canceled shows never get to go out with such a bang.

IcyCool

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
The trailer I saw for Serenity spent 90% of its runtime extolling the wonder of Joss Wheadon and how great Buffy & Angel were. Or at least that is the only thing I could remember from it after the movie.

Really? All the trailers I saw were about the movie. I must have missed that one. Do you have a link to it maybe?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Well this certainly stinks. I am an '05 comer to Firefly and was hopeful it would make a comeback sarting withy the movie, which I was only disappointed in the ending with.

R.I.P. Serenity,
You will live forever in my heart.

Kai Lord

Hero
Does anyone know if Universal is going to release a trilogy DVD box set with Wing Commander, Ghosts of Mars, and Serenity? Some people like to have connected movies of an ongoing series all together in an attractive keep case.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Arnwyn said:
Hmmm... regardless of what'll happen (first post + Truth Seeker's addition), I couldn't care less if there is no more Firefly.
But...
I...
Could...

Arnwyn said:
The series was fantastic, and the movie provided a fitting ending for this series. I'm not interested in seeing any more.
But...
I'm...
Interested...

Arnwyn said:
With that marketing, Serenity deserves it's quiet death.
Enterprise = Quiet Death...
Serenity = Big Bang...

We're not done with the 'verse.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads