Wheel of Time Full Trailer is out *No Spoilers Please*

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The fan response in the YouTube [Edit] comments has been overwhelmingly positive, which pleasantly surprised me for such a established series. The lone voices complaining about diversity (in 2021 šŸ™„) are overwhelmed by a wave of optimism.

[Edit. I meant YouTubeā€¦ Twitter is the cesspit it usually is!]
Beyond just eyerolling about 2021...the books have extensive cultural and ethnic diversity, and a colorblind approach to casting is entirely reasonable to the source material.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah. If Basil and Loial are present, but Elayne and Elaida are not, something is significantly different. The encounter with Elaida was pretty significant, too.

I'm still going to watch it. A guy I played D&D with for many years helped make this series happen, so even if I didn't want to watch it(and I do), I'd watch it in support.
The showrunner has hinted that Elayne is coming in Season 2, so it seems probable that they just shifted her introduction forwards to be closer to her broader narrative position.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Making an exception in a thread that was asking people new to the series to weigh in with their opinion would be reasonable though, would it not?
If the title or OP has a clear "no spoilers" tag/request, sure. IMO such a thing can't just be implied and expect people to feel beholden to...an implication that it'd be reasonable to request a thing.
There's a rather large difference between an enormously popular movie/t.v/toy/game franchise that his been front and center in society for decades, and a book series that would only really be known to many people who like reading fantasy books, a good percentage of whom never finished the series. They aren't even close to being in the same league.
They're both old and well known. Hell, the star wars one is at least a surprise in the film. The Rand thing is...completely obvious. Anyone reading the books knew as soon as the character's relationship to the thing he eventually did the thing to was made clear...in the first book...knew that it was going to happen. It would literally be a gigantic "checkov's gun" writing problem if that didn't happen. This is like getting mad that I say that the good guys win in [given non-gritty fantasy property with a rep for classic good vs evil narrative]. (and also, I didn't spoil anything)
My take on this discussion.

1. Not really a spoiler to talk about the Vader reveal.
2. It is a spoiler to talk about reveals in the Wheel of Time.
3. If people have asked in a non-spoiler thread not to have Wheel of Time reveals spoiled, it's kinda jerkish to continue to spoil things. You can start a spoiler thread to discuss the series in more detail.
Okay, show where I have "continued to spoil things" about WoT in this thread.
Except that there's a new adaptation of it that is attempting to bring new people to the property, and this is a thread about that adaptation, where people are talking about how they've never read/finished the books but are interested in the show, and those same people are demonstrating they are upset at unmarked spoilers in this thread.
Okay. Have I spoiled any elements of the show at all in this thread? I mean I guess I took part in an exchance about what Rand's dad looks like, which "spoils" that the old guy is Rand's dad, but I'm not gonna take seriously any claim that this is an actual spoiler.
You are on the wrong side of this.
No, I'm not.
For my rebuttal to this ridiculously untenable stance, see my previous posts.

My rule of thumb is simple:

Willfully ignoring peopleā€™s desire not to be caused distress by your actions toward them is profoundly disrespectful. (As are all forms of social domination.) Because, you see, youā€™re taking away their agency in the matter. Defaulting to disrespect might be normal social behavior, but it sure isnā€™t right. Morally speaking.
It isn't a form of social domination. It's having a normal discussion about a topic where no request for no spoilers has been made. The OP had no "no spoilers" tag, and I've spoiled absolutely nothing about WoT in this thread. Garth did a spoiler on a major (but incredibly obvious and basically inevitable) plot development, and edited his post when asked to. Since that interaction, I've mentioned fewer details of the plot of the story than some of the people who have tried to chastise me for my stance in this thread! :ROFLMAO:

And you comment above on agency is such absolute rubbish I can't even meaningfully engage with it. What utter nonsense.
But if your stance is effectively, ā€œPeople who donā€™t want old things spoiled should go out of their way to make sure they canā€™t see my posts,ā€ I guess Iā€™d have to recommend that they do just that.
Good thing it isn't.
Unfortunately, given the cavalierly casual penchant youā€™ve displayed for throwing spoilers around without warning, the damage is likely to be done before they know to do so.
Feel free to show what spoilers I've thrown around casually without warning.
The fan response in the YouTube [Edit] comments has been overwhelmingly positive, which pleasantly surprised me for such a established series. The lone voices complaining about diversity (in 2021 šŸ™„) are overwhelmed by a wave of optimism.

[Edit. I meant YouTubeā€¦ Twitter is the cesspit it usually is!]
Most of what I've seen on twitter has been positive, as well, but that might be that I'm not super deep in the fandom twitter space.
Yeah. If Basil and Loial are present, but Elayne and Elaida are not, something is significantly different. The encounter with Elaida was pretty significant, too.
Yeah it worries me a tiny bit, but I'm hopeful that it will be fine. The only thing I've disliked so far of what we've seen are the swords. They're generic katanas, instead of the unique and very distinctive blades of thebooks, which very much have a canon appearance, and have been forged in real life and gained author approval of the look.
Absolutely.

The best comment i saw was someone noting the irony of casting worst dad ever - Roose Bolton - as best dad ever, Tam Alā€™Thor!

šŸ˜‚
To be fair, as Dan Casey put it in his trailer breakdown, that guy hates telling his son anything! :LOL:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Absolutely.

The best comment i saw was someone noting the irony of casting worst dad ever - Roose Bolton - as best dad ever, Tam Alā€™Thor!

šŸ˜‚

Now, what I really want to know is who they're casting for the Forsaken...

1630687886066.png

Absolutely.

I was loving the comments by people who said they had read the books, stating they were upset that the production team had obviously changed things since there was just too much female empowerment in the trailer. Yeah, that's an admission you definitely didn't read the books...

There is a cryptic reference from Rafe Judkins who when asked if the Forsaken would be seen in season one, replied ā€œIt depends how well you know the forsaken.ā€ I think we could see some big names in those big (but cameo) roles.
Hmm... there are a couple of Forsaken who could pop up in disguise, especially with the added focus on the Aes Sedai...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases