Wheel of Time Full Trailer is out *No Spoilers Please*

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Alright, let me try a different approach.

Since common knowledge does not equal universal knowledge, and since I can’t unread words of yours that I might unwittingly read, would you kindly, pretty please, use spoiler tags on these boards when you mention things that you would consider to be spoilers if they were not common knowledge as you define it?

This is only a personal request, of course. But, if it matters to you, I would take it as an indication of respect for my autonomy. You don’t have to understand why.

Certainly what I ask is an inconvenience, but it would mean a lot to me. Will you do me this favor?
I hope you can see, if you read this from a perspective other than your own, how this entire post comes across as disingenuous, like you're performing a test rather than making a sincere request?

What I won't do, is spoiler tag every comment I make that contains any information about a property that can't be gleaned from the title, genre, and IMDB blurb. If there is a specific request in a thread to avoid spoilers, I will abide by it, just like I avoid talking about the particulars of The Mandolorian when hanging out with my best friend, even though he has access via a mutual friend and is a big SW nerd who has published things that used to be EU canon and it's wild to me that he hasn't watched all of it, because there is a specific request there.
If you were in a group about players considering playing a campaign hardback for the first time, would you consider it out of line to ask people who have read the book already to use spoiler tags to discuss things that might spoil the surprises in the book?

Or does your desire to discuss adventures trump the desire of people to play in them without having things spoiled?
Not at all like cases.

But I also don't consider it out of line to ask people to not throw out spoilers. If I missed a request for no spoilers in the OP, I apologize and will allow that Garth should have seen that and not mentioned any important plot elements.

What is unreasonable, is the attitude that people should walk through life under the assumption that "no spoilers" is the default mode of behavior, and can only be deviated from when explicit permission is granted. The opposite is, quite rightly, the norm. People talk about stuff, and only avoid topics that are obscene or similarly innapropriate for public discussion where others can easily hear, only going beyond that restriction to avoid otherwise normal topics, when someone makes an explicit request.

A reminder, again, that I did not spoil anything about Wheel of Time, in this thread. (well, nothing legit. I and several others spoiled who trailer characters are, and the fact Rand gets a sword that is significant enough to care what it looks like)

Basically, spoiling after a request not to is a jerk move. Talking freely about a property when no such request has been made is not. It is unfathomably backward that this should be controversial.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Basically, spoiling after a request not to is a jerk move. Talking freely about a property when no such request has been made is not. It is unfathomably backward that this should be controversial.

Yeah, I don't think this is right. One should not spoil the end of an adaptation or the major twists/reveals before being asked.

For example, if someone went up to me and said, "Hey, did you see the trailer for that Wheel of Time show? Pretty cool eh?" and I responded with "It does look cool, but I really hope they do the death of any named character justice." You shouldn't do that before clarifying how familiar the other person is with the property.

I'm not accusing you of this (I don't know where in this thread you supposedly spoiled something) but I definitely don't agree that one needs to be asked "Please don't spoil," to stop them from spoiling.

TheSword

Legend
I think a poll is needed! Gonna do it. Gonna set up my first ever poll!

😅😅😅

It’s done. Let’s move the spoiler debate elsewhere so we can enjoy the Wheel of Time Trailer discussion.

Last edited:

Azuresun

Adventurer
Common knowledge is not spoilers. Full stop. Any expectation to avoid mentioning any of those without warning is 100% out of line.

And again, you’ve provided no support for the truly astonishingly weird claim that this intersects meaningfully with the agency of people participating in public* forum discussions. It does not. No one’s agency is interfered with by even the most egregious spoilers, and the spoiler that started this debate was not especially egregious.

*no, the distinction of technical public status vs “open to the public and public facing” does not change any of this, so please don’t anyone derail the discussion with a nitpick about this website being privately owned?

And now you've invested about 100x the effort that it would have taken to edit in [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ] to the post. That's an impressive commitment to diminishing the enjoyment of others.

doctorbadwolf

And now you've invested about 100x the effort that it would have taken to edit in [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ] to the post. That's an impressive commitment to diminishing the enjoyment of others.
What post do you think I need to edit?

Yeah, I don't think this is right. One should not spoil the end of an adaptation or the major twists/reveals before being asked.

For example, if someone went up to me and said, "Hey, did you see the trailer for that Wheel of Time show? Pretty cool eh?" and I responded with "It does look cool, but I really hope they do the death of any named character justice." You shouldn't do that before clarifying how familiar the other person is with the property.

I'm not accusing you of this (I don't know where in this thread you supposedly spoiled something) but I definitely don't agree that one needs to be asked "Please don't spoil," to stop them from spoiling.
I spoiled some extremely well known events in Star Wars, LoTR, A Song of Ice And Fire, and Battlestar Gallactica, as examples of common pop culture knowledge, but I haven’t spoiled anything related to Wheel of Time.

doctorbadwolf

Soooooo, heeey, that trailer, ammirite?
I like the creepy city whose name I can barely recall how to say, much less spell. Looked really cool, though I vaguely recall it being a mist? Am I wrong?

Tar Valon is not at all what I imagined, but it's quite rad, so I'm fine with it. Also Siuon is very different from what I pictured, but also a fantastic actor, so whatever.

I do think Tar Valon would look cooler the way I picture it, though. More...apart from the city proper, and with graceful architecture that seems almost impossible. Also it looks vaguely like one of the places in Game of Thrones. But it is rad, so whatevs.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I like the creepy city whose name I can barely recall how to say, much less spell. Looked really cool, though I vaguely recall it being a mist? Am I wrong?

Tar Valon is not at all what I imagined, but it's quite rad, so I'm fine with it. Also Siuon is very different from what I pictured, but also a fantastic actor, so whatever.

I do think Tar Valon would look cooler the way I picture it, though. More...apart from the city proper, and with graceful architecture that seems almost impossible. Also it looks vaguely like one of the places in Game of Thrones. But it is rad, so whatevs.
Shadar Logath: normal, impressive ruins by day...
Haunted by eeeeeeviiiiil fog at night, pretty sure Lost was ripping Shadar Logath off
. Apparently they made a very large and detailed set for running around the ruins that the actors really vibed off of.

My image of the White Tower proper was, larger, but the geography of the island looks right on. I love Siuan Sanche's wizard-Pope dress.

TheSword

Legend
Shadar Logath: normal, impressive ruins by day...
Haunted by eeeeeeviiiiil fog at night, pretty sure Lost was ripping Shadar Logath off
. Apparently they made a very large and detailed set for running around the ruins that the actors really vibed off of.

My image of the White Tower proper was, larger, but the geography of the island looks right on. I love Siuan Sanche's wizard-Pope dress.
To be honest the tower and Tar Valon was not at all what I expected. I’ve always seen it as a spire. Like a needle but I except that is very odd architecturally and not at all practical. This feels like a compromise but I’m not unhappy about it. I can’t wait to see it up close.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases