• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) When are we getting the second playtest document?

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
This is certainly a popularity contest at this point. If they are on the level, the main rules are there.

This is “do you like these tweaks?” But it seems like their pool of tweaks to consider is mostly decided. 🤷‍♂️

It does not disappoint me necessarily since I have been pretty happy with 5e. If someone is not this is probably not the most encouraging scenario.

Last edited:

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I wonder which order we'll see the class playtests released. Maybe they'll start with the classes that most people think need the most help (Monk, Ranger, Sorcerer). maybe they'll release the easy-to-fix classes first to give themselves more time to work on those harder ones. Maybe there will be some classes that don't get changes at all from 5e.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
That's likely true, but the pool of tweaks had to come from somewhere. It's not like WotC hasn't been observing actual games, reading forums, and getting feedback from previous UAs. The changes they're offering for review didn't form in a vacuum.
Agreed. I think they have a pool based on older feedback observations etc

I just don’t think they are going to listen to big requests at this point that they have not already put on the list to evaluate.

And honestly it suits me. I don’t want my books and things to be suddenly worthless or not compatible. I have not worked though most of it!

I really hope for mix and match ability. If u like this monster, use it. Like the new one better? Use it. And the yawning portal, saltmarsh? Drop em in your 5.5 stuff.

Exciting times. We shall see where it goes.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Isn't this nearly exactly what we are doing. With a few fields for own suggestions.
I think they will have an algorithm to funnel some of those suggestions to them. Probably some AI that finds often used keywords and then gives a sample of those answers.
Have any of those suggestions  ever led to meaningful results?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
There's only two things in the current playtest that I object to (not that I have a problem with either, but I see both as things that the game would be better off without) and NEITHER of them came up on the Survey (IIRC).

1) I think the game is better off with Crits on 20's. Crits can mean something different than "double damage dice" but whatever that is has to be a bit more than "inspiration", IMO.

2) Half-Races. I don't mind the idea presented in the playtest packet, but too many people appear to have (at least) half elf and half orc characters that they feel they'd have a hard time rebuilding in 50AD&D. I honestly don't expect them to keep this rule anyhow, which is probably why they didn't even bother to ask about it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Have any of those suggestions  ever led to meaningful results?
If you.look at the Xanathar's and Tasha's UA (which arr the model for what they are doing now at a bigger scale), then you will see that they revisit several options towards the end of the run. Per Crawford's discussion in Dragon Talk and Sage Advice, these were options that were well liked but had issues for people in not quite hitting the theme the first time (the Genie Warlock springs to mind on short notice). So, yes, the usual result is "they donloke it, cut it," but there are middle results where they bring an idea back to the drawing board based on comments and mixed reaction.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder which order we'll see the class playtests released. Maybe they'll start with the classes that most people think need the most help (Monk, Ranger, Sorcerer). maybe they'll release the easy-to-fix classes first to give themselves more time to work on those harder ones. Maybe there will be some classes that don't get changes at all from 5e.
I think the likely possibilities is that they will do it in alphabetical order (which they did for Xanathar's UA), in order of dissatisfaction (so Ranger first), or by some thematic group of pairings (like with Tasha's UA).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Half-Races. I don't mind the idea presented in the playtest packet, but too many people appear to have (at least) half elf and half orc characters that they feel they'd have a hard time rebuilding in 50AD&D. I honestly don't expect them to keep this rule anyhow, which is probably why they didn't even bother to ask about it.
On the contrary, I think there is zero chance they don't move forwards with that change, and feedback wasn't welcome because it is happening.

Remove ads