• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When building a new PC...

When building a character...

• I lean more towards option A

Votes: 58 31.2%
  • I lean more towards option B

Votes: 33 17.7%
  • I tend to be a mix of both options.

Votes: 83 44.6%
  • I am a special unique snowflake, and your pathetic options are too limited for me. (Other)

Votes: 12 6.5%

Allandaros

Explorer
I often wind up playing similar characters, so I put down B, because I'm trying to force myself to play other archetypes, and the easiest way to do that is to say "I guess I'm gonna be a mage."

Nifft

Penguin Herder
All B, All The Time!

Game mechanics sing to me in their sweet probabilistic voices.
I see a cool mechanic and I seek ways to make a character who lives in the world that such a mechanic would imply.

This is part of why I like ToB:Bo9S so much. The world implied by those mechanics (one in which ninjas jump down on you shouting "DEATH FROM ABOVE!") is such a cool world.

Cheers, -- N

sjmiller

Explorer
I start by <gasp> rolling my attributes and seeing what I get. Based on that I then start deciding race, class, etc. If the DM gives details about the world we're playing in I might use that to help influence my decisions. Regardless, the first step in making a character is rolling the attributes.

Brimshack

First Post
It's pretty much an even split for me. Sometimes, a tactical option using this and that part of the rules occurs to me and I just put it together. Thing is those tactical options are rarely as nasty as a simple fighter or a nice blasty spell caster. I do them anyway. Other times a personality occurs to me and then I look for the rules which best represent it.

Stormborn

Explorer
Almost always A, with rare instances of B. I dont usually have troubel finding the mechanics to fit because we tend to make adjustments and use variants from Dragon and other sources as needed. Right now I am playing a Battle Sorcerer from Unearthed Arcana, for example, who took Precocious Apprentice for a 2nd level spell and a Reserve Feat to be a gun fighter type sorcerer.

IcyCool

First Post
It depends, if it's standard D&D that I'm playing, then it's usually, but not always, option B (sadly). In just about any other system, it's option A.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Merkuri said:
It actually depends on when I'm making the character. Sometimes character ideas just come to me, and I file them for later. Usually, though, when I'm actually preparing for a game I try to pick something that fills a niche the party needs, and if I don't already have a concept that fits it I'll make a character from the class up.
This pretty much sums me up as well, though I'll add the caveat that sometimes I just have to go where the dice take me regardless of what I might have originally had in mind.

Lanefan

Remove ads