D&D 5E When Did 5E Peak Quality Wise?

mamba

Legend
Yup. That other thing your looking for is called personal taste.
I do not disagree with that, I just roll it into quality (as do pretty much all replies here) while you would like to keep it separate

And if the AP’s are mostly meh, what’s left? Four, maybe six books spread over the last ten years? Xanathars, Tasha’s Volos and modenkainnens. Two monster books and two class splats and a couple of setting guides.
yes, not that all of these were great either. I never said all adventures are meh however

I don't think this is worth continuing, you made your point clear, and so did I. We simply disagree (and going by the replies here you are very much in the minority with your take of quality only being affected by metrics that are completely objective).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm allowing Tasha's in (only) my Odyssey of the Dragonlords game. There's a Twilight Cleric.

My overall feeling is that Tasha's breaks the game balance of the 2014 rules, but does not break the game, IF you are running an epic or mythic fantasy campaign. I would hate it in my more swords & sorcery or low power themed campaigns. There are a few fairly broken things in the 2014 rules, but they have to be searched out, whereas Tasha's seeks to give you them on a plate. In Odyssey of the Dragonlords when the PCs trivialise an encounter, it feels appropriate, like an episode of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys with Kevan Sorbo laughing at the mooks. I wouldn't want that feel in every campaign.
Can you describe how the options from Tasha's are stomping all over challenges like Hercules? Neither reading nor experience gives me any clue what would cause that.
Classic settings brought into the modern era (Spelljammer, Dragonlance) completely miss the mark.
Did they? I'm a huge DL fan. I was into Dragonlance before I ever played DnD. I have no issues at all with the adventure. It's not a setting book, but I also don't need one, and if I did, i'd buy the one from the DL nexus forums.

I never liked spelljammer in the past, so I guess I can't really spaek to that, but it's one of my favorite 5e books. My only criticis of it is that it would have made sense to reprint ship combat rules, with maybe some new considerations for 3d space combat being different from level plane sea combat.

S'mon

Legend
Can you describe how the options from Tasha's are stomping all over challenges like Hercules? Neither reading nor experience gives me any clue what would cause that.

The main one I recall is Twilight Cleric Channel Divinity power gives every PC a bunch of temporary hp every round.

Hussar

Legend
I would say that Spelljammer needs about 100 more pages - 50 settings stuff and 50 more pages in the monster book.

As a setting guide it really is anemic. Haven’t run the adventure so I have no comment there.

Remove ads