D&D 5E When Did 5E Peak Quality Wise?

Zardnaar

Legend
As the title says. When was 5E "golden age"? At least for you. Product wise since 5E is almost complete, WotC stuff only (mostly so people are somewhat familiar with it).

For me round 2017-19 Xanathars to Eberron. YMMV of course. Don't care about the adventures but the splat and campaign books I like the best are from that timeframe iirc.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
The release of the original Starter Set - the one with "Lost Mine of Phandelver". Which is somewhat unfortunate, given that that was the very first product, but IMO it just hasn't been matched.

That said, there have been some excellent products in the mix since then. Just nothing to quite match that peak.

2017-2020. In that timeframe I bought Xanathar's, Tome of Foes, Tasha's, Eberron, Wildemount, and Theros. For me, those were just hit after hit after hit. Really enjoyed those books and was happy that my hype for them was met.

Honorable mention to Level Up last year. Easily the best 5e related product I've bought since Tasha's.

This is hard to quantify because I absolutely loved Tasha and the changes it brought to the game. But it was the keystone for a trend of releasing faux errata and not just going back and changing the existing content. Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse piled on, once again not going back to change the original content but adding more faux errata.

I understand WHY they made the choice to leave the original content alone and just introduce more modals, but I would much rather have a more streamlined game with fully updated content in the core books so a new player can buy the books and be up to date with the rest of the table. Leave the old versions as downloadables, and darn the consequences!

clearstream

(He, Him)
As the title says. When was 5E "golden age"? At least for you.

For me round 2017-19 Xanathars to Eberron. YMMV of course. Don't care about the adventures but the splat and campaign books I likevghe best are from that timeframe iirc.
TCoE. It has some very nice design in it, showing far better understanding by the designers of their game.

Ondath

Hero
As the title says. When was 5E "golden age"? At least for you.

For me round 2017-19 Xanathars to Eberron. YMMV of course. Don't care about the adventures but the splat and campaign books I likevghe best are from that timeframe iirc.
For me, the cutoff point of "All the books here play nice together" is right at the end of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Theros was a crunchy book with new, interesting mechanics that worked with the underlying design philosophy of 5E (the Piety system and Mythic monsters). Up to this point, there were some key rules the designers respected (non-Warlock spellcasters don't get spell save DC increasing items, not all ability scores are created equal - a Dex bonus is more valuable than an Int bonus -, abilities are keyed either off of 1/short rest or key score/long rest etc.) that kept the game balanced.

Tasha's Cauldron Everything brought a silent change in game design philosophy that, IMO, has led to powercreep. Don't get me wrong, I think Tasha's had some great inclusions. The Ranger fix was great, the Sorcerer subclasses introduced a buff that should have been retrofitted to all past Sorcerer subclasses in the form of spell lists, and the flavour in almost all of the subclasses were great. That said, most of the new content was clearly overtuned, and the pattern has continued since then (maybe with the exception of the 1D&D Druid). The Peace and Twilight clerics were busted (and I've personally seen how the Twilight cleric trivialises dungeon exploration in actual play), the X/Proficiency Bonus paradigm silently buffed multiclass characters (as if the busted multiclass combos needed more juice), Rogues got the ability to gain advantage every turn with Take Aim... To me, it felt like the game's underlying assumptions changed, and the new game design paradigm was more "whiteroom" and did not account for some very real variables old design considered (Tasha's DC increasing items are the big culprit here, just see Matt Mercer rue the day he gave Scanlan the Handcone of Clarity to see why that's a bad idea).

That said, Tasha's also removed racial ability scores, and while I still think Tasha's bandaid solution wasn't ideal, it was something that needed to be done. I'm happy that that debate is settled in the 5E community, and I'm happy with the Culture/Heritage combo Level Up came up with in the end (with the ability bonuses being relegated to backgrounds).

Since Tasha's, I just can't trust that anything Wizards releases will be properly balanced for my game. The Great Wyrm dragons in Fizban's are undertuned for their massive CR and mythic status. Spells like Silvery Barbs are overpowered for their spell level. OneD&D needlessly standardises things like tool costs and each background giving exactly one tool and one language proficiency. The game just hasn't gone in a direction where the books are actually that useful to me beyond serving as inspiration (and then requiring tons of homebrewing). Currently, Level Up seems to scratch my itch far better. I'm still interested in what OneD&D will bring as well as the Planescape book, but to me, the high point of 5E ended with the release of the Theros book.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Not counting adventures, for me 5e peaked and pretty much ended with Xanathar. That book brought enough PC material to me as to almost double the variety and guaranteeing long-term interest. Immediately after that book, WotC again published in UA more subclasses of progressively decreasing novelty, which felt like bloat to me; they also started thinking in terms of 'fixing' the game, which was never a concern for us. Both things that signalled to me that WotC wasn't going to really invest in innovative expansions for the current edition, and was starting to bide their time before a new 'edition reset'. In other word, they've jumped the shark for me and Tasha confirmed my suspicions as the last nail in the coffin.

Adventures and campaigns books are another matter, there are some later gems there such as Theros.

Remove ads