D&D 5E When Did 5E Peak Quality Wise?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Looking at purely WotC stuff, I'd say Eberron and Ravnica were the peak of their overall design and presentation goals.

Outside of WotC, it still hasn't peaked. Constant crowdtesting and iteration make the non-WotC 5e ecosystem much more vibrant and experimental.

aco175

Legend
I do like where all the 3pp clones are going and that I could use them as options for play. I can use LevelUp and whatever Kobold is making for classes and have them alongside of the Wizards stuff works for many looking for more options.

I never found that many of Wizards campaigns as that great and only bought/ran a couple of them. I do like the box sets even if I expand them to a full campaign or two.

mamba

Legend
The question implies that the peak was in the past. I am not sure that is the case, from my perspective the peak might very well still be ahead of us.

If you want the peak for the 2014 books, I'd say Tasha was the turning point, did not care for it or anything after that really.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The question implies that the peak was in the past. I am not sure that is the case, from my perspective the peak might very well still be ahead of us.

If you want the peak for the 2014 books, I'd say Tasha was the turning point, did not care for it or anything after that really.
Since the upcoming WotC books are clearly based on the post-Tasha's game, what makes you think the peak is still ahead? Or are you talking about non-WotC? In that case, I heartily agree with you.

In my opinion, at the beginning!
PHB, MM, DMG, original Starter Set, are all 10/10 products. Then, the only products that reached such quality are Curse of Strahd and Tomb of Annihilation.
So the edition is, in hindsight, a bit of a disappointment. But still, the rule system is so good that it remains my edition of choice.
The 2014 DMG is a 10/10 product? I mean to each their own, but that's certainly not a take I ever thought I'd read.

For me personally, probably with the core 3 (DMG is a bit of a mixed bag and I also have a few gripes about MM and PHB, but overall those books had me excited). So effectively the edition was just a long way down. But there were still enough things I found exciting and I consider solid enough (Volo, CoS, ToA) that I would be willing to say it was a steady trend with ups and downs until Tasha's.

Last edited:

Remove ads