When Did Rome Fall?

There's something so incongruous about the ultra-modern butting up against the ultra-ancient. Like, I can handle seeing a McDonalds in London right by a building from the 18th century, but when you start reaching into millennia, it feels somehow disrespectful.

The first time I visited Rome, I was surprised to see a MacDonald's opposite the Pantheon.

And the best view of the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphynx was from the Pizza Hut by the car park.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's something so incongruous about the ultra-modern butting up against the ultra-ancient. Like, I can handle seeing a McDonalds in London right by a building from the 18th century, but when you start reaching into millennia, it feels somehow disrespectful.

Rome doesn't have much of a choice in the matter. 1800 year old structures are littered all over the place. They can't have a city if they can't put modern stuff next to it...

I have the opposite reaction: it is part of the local environment. We aren't nearly as ancient in terms of architecture but here in New England we have a lot of old houses, old buildings, right up next to modern ones. It is just part of our history. If you go to Italy, Rome is part of the history and there is going to be a blending between ancient and modern. It can also be very artificial to create boundaries around this stuff. We have places like that in New England as well (lots of places have an 'old town' section). They are fun, and very touristy but there is also something not quite real about them.

Jmarso

Adventurer
476 is accepted as the 'official' historical date, but the truth is that it was a long, painful process that began with the fall of the Republic and rise of Empire all the way through to the Renaissance. I've actually read Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' from start to finish, and it is a morass I wouldn't wish on anyone else. 4 months worth of reading time I wish I could have back. Not recommended, mostly because its a sad tale of generation after generation repeating the mistakes of their forebears.

Cities, perforce, must have the old and the new rubbing elbows. And there's some charm to that, absolutely. But I have no love for chain restaurants, and find them generally an intrusive blight. One that is all the more evident when situated opposite a church that's been in the same spot for 500 years.

Rome doesn't have much of a choice in the matter. 1800 year old structures are littered all over the place. They can't have a city if they can't put modern stuff next to it...

I have the opposite reaction: it is part of the local environment. We aren't nearly as ancient in terms of architecture but here in New England we have a lot of old houses, old buildings, right up next to modern ones. It is just part of our history. If you go to Italy, Rome is part of the history and there is going to be a blending between ancient and modern. It can also be very artificial to create boundaries around this stuff. We have places like that in New England as well (lots of places have an 'old town' section). They are fun, and very touristy but there is also something not quite real about them.

Zardnaar

Legend
476 is accepted as the 'official' historical date, but the truth is that it was a long, painful process that began with the fall of the Republic and rise of Empire all the way through to the Renaissance. I've actually read Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' from start to finish, and it is a morass I wouldn't wish on anyone else. 4 months worth of reading time I wish I could have back. Not recommended, mostly because its a sad tale of generation after generation repeating the mistakes of their forebears.

It's also a product if it's time taking the available sources at face value.

I don't think the decline was irreversible until the third century iirc.

Zardnaar

Legend
Cities, perforce, must have the old and the new rubbing elbows. And there's some charm to that, absolutely. But I have no love for chain restaurants, and find them generally an intrusive blight. One that is all the more evident when situated opposite a church that's been in the same spot for 500 years.

Same ipiniin but they seem to tone down the signs etc in historical places.

Old here is basically anything from the Victorian era. They pulled a lot of it down in the 60s and earthquakes as well wiped some out.

Mother used to guide tourists it was funny sometimes. "This is our oldest building blah blah blah" tourist "my house is a hundred years older".

Zardnaar

Legend
Same opinion but they seem to tone down the signs etc in historical places.

Old here is basically anything from the Victorian era. They pulled a lot of it down in the 60ss and earthquakes as well wiped some out. One town is 1930's art deco, another city like ok's kind of modern, my city cbd is a snapshot of 1904.

Mother used to guide tourists it was funny sometimes. "This is our oldest building blah blah blah" tourist "my house is a hundred years older".

Remove ads