When Did Rome Fall?

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
476 is accepted as the 'official' historical date, but the truth is that it was a long, painful process that began with the fall of the Republic and rise of Empire all the way through to the Renaissance. I've actually read Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' from start to finish, and it is a morass I wouldn't wish on anyone else. 4 months worth of reading time I wish I could have back. Not recommended, mostly because its a sad tale of generation after generation repeating the mistakes of their forebears.
What? Don't listen to this post, Enworld. Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire is a beautiful book. The historiography is outdated, but the prose is wonderful. It's a delight to read.

Added by edit: In fact, now that I think about it, I reread it after I visited Rome. I remember standing on the Capitoline Hill looking at the ruins of the old forum and being reminded of Gibbon's description of Poggius surveying the ruin of Rome from the same spot and contemplating the city's fall some 600 years previously. Gibbon talks then about the beginnings of the transformation of the ancient ruins into a tourist attraction for foreigners (this was in the 18th century):

"The map, the description, the monuments of ancient Rome, have been elucidated by the diligence of the antiquarian and the student: and the footsteps of heroes, the relics, not of superstition, but of empire, are devoutly visited by a new race of pilgrims from the remote, and once savage countries of the North."

Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
What was the whole Philip K Dick book where they were like "Rome never fell!" though that was getting weird about religion. I think by the crisis of the 3rd century, the Roman Empire ceases to be what we would consider the "classical" Rome. Later, with the plague of Justinian, it's the end of the classical urban culture that we attribute to the period. 476 is a good date, because the political control is finished, though to me, and Edward Gibbon's, probably the most tragic moment were entire libraries being burned due to the edicts against magic.

Yenrak

Explorer
I think it’s more useful to think of the question geographically. In some areas, Rome fell earlier than others. It was fallen by the 6th century in Britain, for instance, while it carried on elsewhere.

Remove ads