• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When do you think they will announce the next book?

neobolts

Explorer
Princes of the Apocalypse is out at early access FLGS. I picked it up over the weekend but haven't spent any time with it yet, but am excited by the positive things I've been hearing.

They've got a nostalgia trend going, with Tyranny of Dragons being a follow up to Scales of War, and Prince of the Apocalyse being a spiritual sucessor to Temple of Elemental Evil. Dungeonland and Against the Giants have been hinted at (no hard confirmation) as possibilities for the future. Tyranny of Dragons AL was running still when they announced PotA, so it seems they want to overlap them in to maintain momentum. My own prediction is that they will announce something before the Elemental Evil AL ends.

When do you think WotC will announce the next rulebook/module (i.e. not novel)? Gen Con? Maybe earlier?

And I know I'll jinx it just by asking this ;), but we (myself included) had discussed the pace of content output as a positive/negative thing in other threads before (complete with oracles of WotC's demise); can we focus this thread on speculation and announcement timing instead?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
They officially announced PotA about 10 weeks before its general release date (April the 7th). If they do the same for the next AP, and the AP is released around GenCon, we should hear about it in June.

If they announce the AP at GenCon, the release could be in November, close to Christmast is not a bad business move.

If they do not announce it at GenCon, I'm not sure there will be a second AP for 2015. In that case, I would guess the next AP would be announced in January of 2016.

Last edited:

They announced Elemental Evil in February, a little over a month and a half from its launch.
The next storyline will be released at GenCon, and it's likely we'll see a book then. So we can expect a press release around mid-June. Which was also about when they confirmed the release of the PHB/Starter set.

But expect some leaks prior...

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
But expect some leaks prior...

Yup. Someone will scan some doodles one of the designers scribbled on a napkin during their lunch hour and it'll get announced online as official art for the next book. Then when Mike is forced to answer the three thousand questions people tweet at him asking about the doodle, he'll respond that no book has yet been announced. Followed immediately by six threads here on EN World's boards decrying WotC's marketing and how they're unable to control their flow of information and it's proof the game is failing and driving players away.

I *think* that's about right.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Scribbles on a napkin, ladies and gentlemen. http://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...k-and-Princes-of-the-Apocalypse!#.VRm5cvmG-T8

When was Mearls forced to answer any questions? Did Morrus put a gun to his head when he asked about the cancelled splatbook? If Morrus did, that is indeed reprehensable.

If only one AP is released this year and I ask Mearls what happened cause he said two APs a year were supposed to be released, am I oppressing Mearls?

As for leaks, WotC doesn't tolerate leaks, so the three "leaks" were not leaks. Just info that WotC gave to publishers/distributors that they accepted could be made public. WotC certainly didn't ask for the ad copies and cover art to be taken down. WotC doesn't tolerate leaks after all.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Yup. Someone will scan some doodles one of the designers scribbled on a napkin during their lunch hour and it'll get announced online as official art for the next book. Then when Mike is forced to answer the three thousand questions people tweet at him asking about the doodle, he'll respond that no book has yet been announced. Followed immediately by six threads here on EN World's boards decrying WotC's marketing and how they're unable to control their flow of information and it's proof the game is failing and driving players away.

I *think* that's about right.

You're absolutely right, we worry about this stuff too much -- I'm sure it'll come before of the end of the Holocene.

Warunsun

First Post
Princes of the Apocalypse seems to be larger than the Tyranny of Dragons. As such it could cover a longer time frame. I think it really depends on their marketing plans and tie-ins with the computer games. Whenever Sword Coast Legends has it's release would be a good time for a new product tie-in.

Remove ads