• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When do you think they will announce the next book?

delericho

Legend
We'll get a non-announcement in about a month, cover art about a month after that, and then a formal announcement in July, for an early October release.

Though if they're going for a GenCon release, the time for the "big reveal" must be mere weeks away. If that's the case, my guess is that it won't be the next "storyline", as that should be six months away, not three.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Maybe it is best to not speculate about the release date of the next AP, but what it will be about. Here are sme guess.

1) Alustriel in the demiplane of Wonder. Follow Alustriel who is following a chronomancy obcess wererabbit into a magical portal!

2) Castle Manshoon. Explore the castle of D&D's most famous vampiric necromancer!

3) The Stone of Brul*. Visit the Stone of Brul, a city set on one of Selune's Tears. Meet is heteroclite NPCs and explore space on magical ships!

*I actually think the Rock of Bral is an interesting setting for an AP set in the Realms even if it is not original anymore and part of the Realms. The setting just needs to be revived and refreshed. The FR are a natural place for Bral, more than a few people set it in Selune's Tears, the asteroids that orbit Toril's moon. Having a spelljammer-like AP where some planets are visited would be fun and a change from "some cultists are summoning there god" AP. Bral is a rich place full of intrigue and colorful NPCs.

delericho

Legend
I thought the next storyline was confirmed as being Wonderland-themed?

And I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a Lolth-themed one and a Ravenloft-y one soon. Possibly another foray against the giants, too, though they may wait a while given that Paizo are doing that Path as we speak.

Kramodlog

I thought the next storyline was confirmed as being Wonderland-themed?
It sounded more like brainstorming than a done deal.

And I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a Lolth-themed one and a Ravenloft-y one soon. Possibly another foray against the giants, too, though they may wait a while given that Paizo are doing that Path as we speak.
Drows are used at the end of an edition, but I wouldn't be surprised with if they did one now (not that 5e is ending, just that originality hasn't been used yet). Giants are monopolized by Paizo right now. Their giant AP just started. Redudency is bad for WotC. This is why writting APs sevens years in advance is not good.

It is interesting that WotC chose to have its AP start/end close to the moment Paizo's AP end/start.

delericho

Legend
It is interesting that WotC chose to have its AP start/end close to the moment Paizo's AP end/start.

There's probably some very clever reason for that - possibly to do with the schools all going back in September or something.

Edit: Or it's GenCon, as MerricB says. :)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Possibly another foray against the giants, too, though they may wait a while given that Paizo are doing that Path as we speak.

I don't think that matters all that much. Due to the major difference in the game systems, only the most dedicated of DMs will be converting a Pathfinder adventure to 5E, or vice versa.

Not to mention that the way adventures are written means that even two adventures about giants can be completely different. (I actually find quite a few similarities between the first section of Hoard of the Dragon Queen an the first section of the Giantslayer AP - both have a town being attacked.)

Cheers!

Kramodlog

Only if you don't realise that the release schedule of both Wizards and Paizo revolves around major releases at GenCon.

We will see if the next WotC AP is released at GenCon. Nothing is announced now. The AL schedule doesn't mean anything when nothing is officially announced for the AP. Maybe it won't be released at all. To many books are bad, right? Plus, with such a small crew and inexperienced 3pp, delays (from March the 17 to April the 7 for PotA) or cancellations (Adventurer's Handbook) shouldn't be unexpected.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads