When Fantasy Meets Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.
The roaring success of the recent Black Panther film is another sign that fantasy worlds are changing. The fictional African country of Wakanda as portrayed in Marvel comic books has been isolated and stagnant, a common problem with "Othering" of non-white cultures. The plot of the film addresses its isolationist past and in doing so, blazes a trail for other fantasy universes in how they portray African-like nations.

[h=3]Marvel Deals With its "Other"[/h]Othering is a process in which other cultures are viewed through a biased lens of exoticism and isolationism. These cultures are not integrated into the world but are rather static, often amalgamating a region's various cultures into one homogeneous mass. The culture may be portrayed as never having advanced beyond what defines it as exotic.

Any world creation will likely be influence by the beliefs of the time, and many fantasy worlds -- Marvel's superhero universe included -- paint different cultures with broad strokes for white audiences as a form of shorthand. This is how we got Wakanda as a technologically-advanced culture that never fully engaged with the horrors of war that have rocked the world at large. As Nate Jones puts it:

It refuses to trade with other nations, though as one line in the movie makes clear, Wakandans are still able to consume American memes. As we see in a Western television broadcast in the movie, Wakanda is able to get away with this by masquerading as an impoverished third-world country, and since the country’s leadership refuses to take international aid, the rest of the world doesn’t ask too many questions.

The plot of Black Panther addresses this isolationism -- a byproduct of "othering" Wakanda as a a fictional nation in Africa -- head on, and makes it clear that the Marvel Cinematic Universe plans to integrate Wakanda into its narrative like any other nation. It's a bold choice that will likely change the static nature of Wakanda forever. Role-playing games face a similar dilemma.
[h=3]RPGs and Africa[/h]There hasn't been a great track record in nuanced representation of African nations in tabletop role-playing games. G.A. Barber uses Rifts Africa by Palladium as an example:

...with a decided lack of POC in the art, and the entire continent serves as a place for non-Africans to adventure in. There are 67 interior pictures in Rifts Africa, of which 54 depict non-Africans or landscape, and 13 depict Africans. The first picture with Africans in it has them acting as porters for a white game hunter. Four of the pictures (just under 25% of the pictures depicting Africans) depict Africans as monsters. None of the pictures show Africans using modern or futuristic technology or weapons, none of them are of Africans fighting monsters or “looking cool”. In a single book, ostensibly about Africa, only 19% of the pictures show Africans (omission), and the few depictions of them make it clear they are there as set dressing and nothing more (stereotypes and limited roles).

Dungeons & Dragons
has slowly, steadily, been addressing this issue. Fifth Edition has made efforts to be more inclusive, and that reflects in the diversity of character art. The lead image for the human race in the Player's Handbook is of a black woman. And yet, D&D still struggles with its broad strokes representation of African nations, as the controversy over the depiction of Chult demonstrates in Tomb of Annihilation:

Its point of inspiration is a campaign setting that, for years, has been written off as tone-deaf. The new adventure draws on D&D co-creator Gary Gygax’s adventure Tomb of Horrors and combines that with source material detailing Chult, a jungle peninsula first conceived of in a 1992 novel called The Ring of Winter, in which an adventurer travels to Chult’s dinosaur-filled wilderness seeking the eponymous artifact...The canonical Chultan peninsula finally congealed in a 1993 campaign setting as a dinosaur-infested jungle where heat wiped out even the strongest adventurers and insects carried fatal diseases. Reptilian races and undead skeletons dominate the land and humans live in tribal clusters and clans. Its major city, Mezro, “rivals some of the most ‘civilized’ population centers in Faerun,” the setting reads. Slavery is mentioned about 40 times. In D&D’s 3rd edition, it’s written that Chultan priest-kings worship “strange deities” in the city of Mezro. In D&D’s 4th edition, Chult is located on what’s called the “Savage Coast.” It’s said there that the city of Port Nyanzaru is controlled by foreign traders who often must defend against pirates. Mezro has collapsed. It just sank into the abyss. What remains is this: “Human civilization is virtually nonexistent here, though an Amnian colony and a port sponsored by Baldur’s Gate cling to the northern coasts, and a few tribes—some noble savages, others depraved cannibals—roam the interior.”

Tomb of Annihilation
works hard to create a more comprehensive African culture in Chult, but it may suffer from not enough nuance:

While many players I talked to enjoyed how the history and political structures of Chult were expanded in Tomb of Annihilation (and enjoyed the adventure’s plot generally), they were still unimpressed by its execution. Its setting is an amalgamation of African cultures, a trope frequent in 20th century media that flattens the dimensionality of human experiences on the continent, which contains hundreds of ethnic groups. There are nods to West African voodoo, Southern African click-based Khoisan languages, East African attire (like Kenyan kofia hats) and the jungle climate of Central Africa. Its fantasy setting dissolves “Africa” into an all-in-one cultural stew that comes off as a little detached, sources I interviewed said.

Is it possible to depict a more nuanced fantasy Africa? Nyambe: African Adventures for 3.5 D&D, by Christopher Dolunt, offers some hope:

My motivation for creating Nyambe was simple. Africa was a major part of the Earth that has little or no representation in fantasy literature, let alone RPGs. When it does appear, it usually follows the pulp fiction model: steaming jungles, bloodthirsty cannibals, and dark gods long forgotten by the civilized races. Of course, historical Africa was nothing like that, so my goal for Nyambe was to create a fantasy version of Africa based on the actual history and mythology of Africa, rather than previous fantasy depictions. So, I went about taking snippets of history or myth, and twisting them, adding fantasy elements or changing specifics to make them fit into an OGL world.

[h=3]Now What?[/h]Wizards of the Coast made considerable strides in increasing D&D's diverse representation and transitioning Chult from conquered land to fantasy nation, but there's still work to do. As more people of color play D&D, the game will need to change to accommodate its players' diverse views. With Black Panther leading the way, here's hoping future game designers will take note.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Yaarel

He Mage
Just in case people think I'm blowing smoke here, here's a link to a currently funded Norse inspired module: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ey-to-ragnarok-a-norse-mythology-adventure-fo

The Norse kickstarter has numerous historical and mythological inaccuracies. Such as the use of elder runes, confusion and conflation with differing beliefs in Britain and Germany, the invention of a ‘dark elf’ separate from a ‘dwarf’, and so on. Such is how misinformation perpetuates.

Probably, the project should have restricted itself to Eddas and Sagas only, plus the Scandinavian archeological context.

In any case, it is fair to say, this kickstarter, is inspired at least in part by Norse traditions, even if it is moreso an amalgum of various times and places in the northern half of Europe, along with D&D monsters and modern New Age and Wicca witchcraft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yaarel

He Mage
The Norse kickstarter has numerous historical and mythological inaccuracies. Such as the use of elder runes, confusion and conflation with differing beliefs in Britain and Germany, the invention of a ‘dark elf’ separate from a ‘dwarf’, and so on. Such is how misinformation perpetuates.

Probably, the project should have restricted itself to Eddas and Sagas only, plus the Scandinavian archeological context.

In any case, it is fair to say, this kickstarter, is inspired at least in part by Norse traditions, even if it is moreso an amalgum of various times and places in the northern half of Europe.

Heh, my impression of the Journey To Ragnarok, ‘Norse’ kickstarter is the following. It is like creating a setting on Mali in Africa, using an anthropological survey of a belief system of one of its ethnic groups, but then throwing into the mix, stuff going on in ancient Egypt, modern South Africa, plus a Tarzan novel, and voodoo beliefs from New Orleans in the US, ... but calling it ‘Mali’.

Hussar

Legend
Heh, my impression of the Journey To Ragnarok, ‘Norse’ kickstarter is the following. It is like creating a setting on Mali in Africa, using an anthropological survey of a belief system of one of its ethnic groups, but then throwing into the mix, stuff going on in ancient Egypt, modern South Africa, plus a Tarzan novel, and voodoo beliefs from New Orleans in the US, ... but calling it ‘Mali’.

Not quite sure where you're getting all that from. I haven't followed this Kickstarter at all, so, all I have is the kickstarter itself. Seems pretty solidly based on Norse mythology to me. I'm certainly no expert, but, "modern South Africa"? What seems so out of place to you?

But, in any case, STILL MISSING THE POINT.

It's not like this is a negative portrayal at all. It's at least attempting to be authentic.

Yaarel

He Mage
Not quite sure where you're getting all that from. I haven't followed this Kickstarter at all, so, all I have is the kickstarter itself. Seems pretty solidly based on Norse mythology to me. I'm certainly no expert, but, "modern South Africa"? What seems so out of place to you?

But, in any case, STILL MISSING THE POINT.

It's not like this is a negative portrayal at all. It's at least attempting to be authentic.

What is out of place? Many things.

For example. The vikings used the ‘younger runes’ with only 16 runes. Really only 15 runes because the ‘R’ merged with the ‘r’, thus fell out of use. The 24 elder runes are many centuries wrong. Moreover, the use of runes by modern witchcraft for divination, as if a kind of tarot cards, or an occultism organizational system, is strictly modern, and is alien to the Norse people. And so on.

I doubt the Journey To Ragnarok kickstarter is ‘attempting to be authentic’. (At least I hope not.) It is trying to be entertaining. It is moreso like a Monty Python romp thru Northern Europe, except more like an action movie, than a comedy movie.

Yaarel

He Mage
Also, its cosmology is wrong. It confuses Niflheim which is in the arctic north, with Niflhel which is underground. And it creates an erroneous separate place for ‘dark elves’, even tho they are the same thing as ‘dwarves’.

Perhaps the most serious error is also the most common. The authors simply dont understand what animism is or how it works. Are these authors Italians? In any case, the ethnocentricity assumes the Norse spiritual traditions are identical to Mediterranean polytheism. Odin and Thor are simply Jupiter. This profound and widespread ignorance about animism is in fact the result of ‘othering’ by Christians who confused all Nonchristian belief systems with the polytheism that Christians were traditionally disputing.

The situation is complex, because Germans under the influence of the Roman Empire did eventually worship their nature spirits as Mediterranean-style gods. But failing to tell the difference between the German (Saxon) and the Norwegian (Norroenn) is like failing to tell the difference between the Chinese and the Japanese.

Heh, every time I see a D&D cleric worship Thor, I cry a little.

Hussar

Legend
But, again, are any of these mistakes (and, since I lack any real understanding here, I'll completely take your word for it) in any way portraying a negative stereotype?

I totally agree. This is probably more an action movie take than anything else. Fair enough. But, even with the mistakes, the setting seems to be pretty positive in portrayals. And, again, just because this one has mistakes, does not mean all fantasy depictions of Vikings are wrong. There do exist, at least, from my very limited understanding, some fairly decently researched RPG's and D&D setting books which make a fairly decent stab at trying to be authentic.

It seems like we might be focusing a bit too much on a specific example.

Heck, I run my games over Fantasy Grounds. Since my current campaign (Primeval Thule) is mostly bronze age, I keep trying to find battlemaps and whatnot depicting streets and towns that are reasonably contemporaneous. I'm not terribly concerned with authenticity, but, at least stuff that can pass for, say, Roman or Greek towns.

What do I find? Map after map after map of Renaissance level architecture. It's bloody near impossible to find anything that looks like what I'm looking for. I can find a thousand castle battle maps that look like 13th century France, but, trying to find a decent image of a hill fort is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Yaarel

He Mage
And, again, just because this one has mistakes, does not mean all fantasy depictions of Vikings are wrong.

Heh, pretty much all fantasy depictions of Vikings are wrong. For example, the TV show, Vikings, intentionally mixes fact with fiction for the sake of entertainment.

At least, their helmets dont have horns. So theres that.

Yaarel

He Mage
Since my current campaign (Primeval Thule) is mostly bronze age, I keep trying to find battlemaps and whatnot depicting streets and towns that are reasonably contemporaneous.

What do I find? Map after map after map of Renaissance level architecture. It's bloody near impossible to find anything that looks like what I'm looking for. I can find a thousand castle battle maps that look like 13th century France, but, trying to find a decent image of a hill fort is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

As you mention as ‘hill fort’, in the Bronze Age, a ‘city’ is usually the size of a football stadium. It is basically just a government center surrounded by security walls. People generally lived in farms around the town.

You might be able to use the map of a palace complex, and just call it a ‘city’.

I know your over all point about representing vikings in gaming is that it is positive. At least fun. And true, there is an appreciation for how these fantasy versions keep Norse traditions alive and interesting.

At the same time, there is unease. It is like someone paints a portrait of you and hangs it in a public place, and everyone loves the painting, ... but it doesnt look anything like you.

Thomas Bowman

First Post

In any case, it is fair to say, this kickstarter, is inspired at least in part by Norse traditions, even if it is moreso an amalgum of various times and places in the northern half of Europe, along with D&D monsters and modern New Age and Wicca witchcraft.
Do you think that there are many Norwegians that would be offended by inaccurate portrayals of the Vikings? Their aren't any actual Vikings that would be offended by getting their history wrong, and if their were, they'd probably just laugh at it. Norway is doing okay for a country its size, they have a high standard of living, and if someone gets their Viking history wrong, they would just have a laugh tell jokes about it and move on. Perhaps a small minority of Norwegians would be offended by Marvel comics making Thor a woman, but most Norwegians these days are Christians not pagans, there is some cultural aspect to Viking mythology, but Norway is not a poor or oppressed country, they would simply point out the errors, but they wouldn't, for the most part, be offended by a man wearing a horned helmet and pretending to be a Viking. Compare the lifestyle of Norway to any African country, and you see the Norwegians don't have all that much to complain about.

Celebrim

Legend
Do you think that there are many Norwegians that would be offended by inaccurate portrayals of the Vikings?

I think that it fairly arrogant to sit here and be speaking for them. I also find it interesting that suddenly how many are offended matters. Previously it only mattered that some were offended. I note also that when it comes to Norwegians, you are willing to concede that they might have individual opinions and not be a homogenous group. I note that you are here judging whether they have a right to complain and setting up some standards about what a legitimate grievance and a legitimate response is in your opinion, with respect to Norwegians.

BTW, thank you Hussar. You are a gift. Whenever you get into a thread, I no longer have to argue my own point of view, as you suitably destroy the opposing view.

Finally, let me say that I notice once again that everyone is more willing to talk about how much of a tragedy it is that Africa is not represented in fantasy literature, or not represented well in fantasy literature, but no one is actually willing to state what a good respectful representation would be that would in fact not be condemned as racist. It's particularly ironic because it's quite clear to me that I'm one of the few people in the thread that has given Africa serious study with an eye toward fantasy D&D and actually understands how the lack of a good fantasy Africa is explained by the near perfect lack of information about historical Africa combined with the fact that any detailed pastiche fantasy Africa would be condemned as racist simply by presenting Africans as iron age tribal animists divided into a thousand often warring ethnic and linguistic groups. Witness for example how appalled people are by the notion of "wereleopards" in a presentation of Africa, and the guilt associated with such a presentation. Never mind that in the real Africa there actually were-people who practiced animagus magic to gain the power of leopards and terrorize their enemies. But we've already established that if I present Africans as they actually thought of themselves, someone is going to call me a racist. So why in the world would I publish anything about Africa? When it comes to Norwegians if I present them wearing bear skins and foaming at the mouth and chewing on their shields before going into battle and in my fantasy giving them the power that they believe this unleashed, I'll be praised for my depth of research and my detailed representation of Norse society in dark ages Europe. But if I do the same thing for Africa, with leopard skin wearing cannibals as they actually were, then I'll be called "as racist AF". Instead, someone will demand that I create a European style "Wakanda" (and probably a bunch of European nations with black skinned people and the superficial color of being African) that never existed to show my respect for Africa. But then if I do that, someone will complain about that as well. Heck, probably just presenting Africans in their historical costume would get me in trouble unless I alter that costume to cater to European sensibilities. It's a no win situation. And if you disagree, the best way to prove me wrong isn't to continue virtue signaling, but actually do the research and write the supplement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases