• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When Fantasy Meets Africa

The roaring success of the recent Black Panther film is another sign that fantasy worlds are changing. The fictional African country of Wakanda as portrayed in Marvel comic books has been isolated and stagnant, a common problem with "Othering" of non-white cultures. The plot of the film addresses its isolationist past and in doing so, blazes a trail for other fantasy universes in how they portray African-like nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The roaring success of the recent Black Panther film is another sign that fantasy worlds are changing. The fictional African country of Wakanda as portrayed in Marvel comic books has been isolated and stagnant, a common problem with "Othering" of non-white cultures. The plot of the film addresses its isolationist past and in doing so, blazes a trail for other fantasy universes in how they portray African-like nations.

[h=3]Marvel Deals With its "Other"[/h]Othering is a process in which other cultures are viewed through a biased lens of exoticism and isolationism. These cultures are not integrated into the world but are rather static, often amalgamating a region's various cultures into one homogeneous mass. The culture may be portrayed as never having advanced beyond what defines it as exotic.

Any world creation will likely be influence by the beliefs of the time, and many fantasy worlds -- Marvel's superhero universe included -- paint different cultures with broad strokes for white audiences as a form of shorthand. This is how we got Wakanda as a technologically-advanced culture that never fully engaged with the horrors of war that have rocked the world at large. As Nate Jones puts it:

It refuses to trade with other nations, though as one line in the movie makes clear, Wakandans are still able to consume American memes. As we see in a Western television broadcast in the movie, Wakanda is able to get away with this by masquerading as an impoverished third-world country, and since the country’s leadership refuses to take international aid, the rest of the world doesn’t ask too many questions.

The plot of Black Panther addresses this isolationism -- a byproduct of "othering" Wakanda as a a fictional nation in Africa -- head on, and makes it clear that the Marvel Cinematic Universe plans to integrate Wakanda into its narrative like any other nation. It's a bold choice that will likely change the static nature of Wakanda forever. Role-playing games face a similar dilemma.
[h=3]RPGs and Africa[/h]There hasn't been a great track record in nuanced representation of African nations in tabletop role-playing games. G.A. Barber uses Rifts Africa by Palladium as an example:

...with a decided lack of POC in the art, and the entire continent serves as a place for non-Africans to adventure in. There are 67 interior pictures in Rifts Africa, of which 54 depict non-Africans or landscape, and 13 depict Africans. The first picture with Africans in it has them acting as porters for a white game hunter. Four of the pictures (just under 25% of the pictures depicting Africans) depict Africans as monsters. None of the pictures show Africans using modern or futuristic technology or weapons, none of them are of Africans fighting monsters or “looking cool”. In a single book, ostensibly about Africa, only 19% of the pictures show Africans (omission), and the few depictions of them make it clear they are there as set dressing and nothing more (stereotypes and limited roles).

Dungeons & Dragons
has slowly, steadily, been addressing this issue. Fifth Edition has made efforts to be more inclusive, and that reflects in the diversity of character art. The lead image for the human race in the Player's Handbook is of a black woman. And yet, D&D still struggles with its broad strokes representation of African nations, as the controversy over the depiction of Chult demonstrates in Tomb of Annihilation:

Its point of inspiration is a campaign setting that, for years, has been written off as tone-deaf. The new adventure draws on D&D co-creator Gary Gygax’s adventure Tomb of Horrors and combines that with source material detailing Chult, a jungle peninsula first conceived of in a 1992 novel called The Ring of Winter, in which an adventurer travels to Chult’s dinosaur-filled wilderness seeking the eponymous artifact...The canonical Chultan peninsula finally congealed in a 1993 campaign setting as a dinosaur-infested jungle where heat wiped out even the strongest adventurers and insects carried fatal diseases. Reptilian races and undead skeletons dominate the land and humans live in tribal clusters and clans. Its major city, Mezro, “rivals some of the most ‘civilized’ population centers in Faerun,” the setting reads. Slavery is mentioned about 40 times. In D&D’s 3rd edition, it’s written that Chultan priest-kings worship “strange deities” in the city of Mezro. In D&D’s 4th edition, Chult is located on what’s called the “Savage Coast.” It’s said there that the city of Port Nyanzaru is controlled by foreign traders who often must defend against pirates. Mezro has collapsed. It just sank into the abyss. What remains is this: “Human civilization is virtually nonexistent here, though an Amnian colony and a port sponsored by Baldur’s Gate cling to the northern coasts, and a few tribes—some noble savages, others depraved cannibals—roam the interior.”

Tomb of Annihilation
works hard to create a more comprehensive African culture in Chult, but it may suffer from not enough nuance:

While many players I talked to enjoyed how the history and political structures of Chult were expanded in Tomb of Annihilation (and enjoyed the adventure’s plot generally), they were still unimpressed by its execution. Its setting is an amalgamation of African cultures, a trope frequent in 20th century media that flattens the dimensionality of human experiences on the continent, which contains hundreds of ethnic groups. There are nods to West African voodoo, Southern African click-based Khoisan languages, East African attire (like Kenyan kofia hats) and the jungle climate of Central Africa. Its fantasy setting dissolves “Africa” into an all-in-one cultural stew that comes off as a little detached, sources I interviewed said.

Is it possible to depict a more nuanced fantasy Africa? Nyambe: African Adventures for 3.5 D&D, by Christopher Dolunt, offers some hope:

My motivation for creating Nyambe was simple. Africa was a major part of the Earth that has little or no representation in fantasy literature, let alone RPGs. When it does appear, it usually follows the pulp fiction model: steaming jungles, bloodthirsty cannibals, and dark gods long forgotten by the civilized races. Of course, historical Africa was nothing like that, so my goal for Nyambe was to create a fantasy version of Africa based on the actual history and mythology of Africa, rather than previous fantasy depictions. So, I went about taking snippets of history or myth, and twisting them, adding fantasy elements or changing specifics to make them fit into an OGL world.

[h=3]Now What?[/h]Wizards of the Coast made considerable strides in increasing D&D's diverse representation and transitioning Chult from conquered land to fantasy nation, but there's still work to do. As more people of color play D&D, the game will need to change to accommodate its players' diverse views. With Black Panther leading the way, here's hoping future game designers will take note.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Now, does the sorts of oppression that occurs in other countries and other cultures currently concern me? Yes, yes it does. But, seeing as how I don't belong to those cultures, it also is not my responsibility to step in and tell them how to run things.

Regarding the Holocaust. Never again.

What you said, your refusal to intervene, suggests you are among the people who let the Holocaust happen.

This is one of the reasons why various contemporary philosophical frameworks are *ethically* bankrupt.

Humans have an obligation to facilitate justice for other humans, regardless of where they were born.

We are all humans. Members of the same human species.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Gradine, your comments come across as racism.

You seem to *only* direct criticism against the socalled ‘white’ ‘race’.

Even when you acknowledge other groups as equally responsible, you seem to omit any criticism against other groups.

It seems to me, you are indulging in an unethical practice of ‘selective enforcement’.

I dare you to criticize any other ethnic group with equal dedication, besides ‘white’ ethnic groups.

Except I'm not criticizing anyone, because that's not the frakking point. I'm not on some crusade to make you feel like crap for the actions of your ancestors. All I care about is the inequities that exist in our society, now, and the steps that we can take to fix them. I don't give a :):):):) who feels guilty for what, because frankly, anybody's guilt is irrelevant. It's a distraction, so people can talk about their feelings instead of actual structural inequalities. Everything else is white noise.

I'm frankly getting really pissed off with people making me out to be some god-damned strawman white-hating bigot. Anybody who's spent two minutes reading what I'm actually saying will know that I'm anything but. If you can't get your head out of that mind space, and focus on what really matters, that's on you, but stop dragging my name in the mud with you.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Depending on how you want to define sex trafficking, you could make the argument that similar forms of slavery are happening today in the United Freaking States of America.

It's not that I don't see your point. But saying everyone else is crappier than us does not mean it's okay for us to be okay with just being a better form of crappy. Especially if you seem to want us to be some sort of world police to tell other countries how to handle their business, we need to be doing a better job of it ourselves first, don't you think?

You seem to lack information about what is going on today with regard to slavery. The sex trade is a small part of it.

Full, cruel, murderous, evil, slavery is flourishing today, across the Muslim world, especially in Africa.

Imaro

Legend
I remembered the name after I posted, Superstition. Its subtle racism is a shame too, because otherwise, it covers subject matter that would have found interesting. A show about magic is always a plus!

By the way, in this show, the whites are the ‘minority’. The blacks are the defining ‘majority’ and the dominant ethnic group.

Okay I've watched the show and no blacks aren't the majority in the town it takes place in... but the focus of the show is on a specific family which is black (In the same way Charmed was focused on a white family of sisters). Exactly what white characters are regulated to silly or subservient roles? The white main cast memebers I remember are...

Tilly: She works for the family but is versed in magical lore and artifacts and was the heir apparent to a witch coven after her mother died until she turned her back on them because of the wedge they'd driven between her and her birth mother.

Russ: A white guy whose dating Calvin's daughter Garvey and shows the outsider perspective but in later episodes is slowly inducted into some of the mysteries and strangeness of the Hastings family ultimately culminating in him rescuing Garvey in one episode.

The Dredge (when he inhabited the body of a white guy): Major villain whose able to get the better of Issac and Calvin in the earlier episodes of season 1 but is ultimately defeated because... well he's one of the bad guys.

The Mayor: Also a bad guy whose knowledge and power are on par with or surpass Issac's and who serves as a long term foil and sometime ally.

So I'll ask how exactly are the white people in the show regulated to silly roles, and secondly how are they subservient... unless you mean Tilly who actually is an employee of the Hastings and so should be somewhat subservient... they are her employers (thought she is treated much more like family than a regular employee).

Gradine

Regarding the Holocaust. Never again.

What you said, your refusal to intervene, suggests you are among the people who let the Holocaust happen.

This is one of the reasons why various contemporary philosophical frameworks are *ethically* bankrupt.

Humans have an obligation to facilitate justice for other humans, regardless of where they were born.

We are all humans. Members of the same human species.

You seem to lack information about what is going on today with regard to slavery. The sex trade is a small part of it.

Jesus Christ, with this. Can you address what I'm actually saying for one god damned second and stop with the excessive nitpicking of strawman accusations of things I'm not actually frakking saying?

Yes, we as a nation should have done more for the victims of the Holocaust. Like, I don't know, maybe opening our borders and accepting for refugees? And funneling aid to the people resisting within that nation? You know, the very crap I'm actually advocating for?! But we didn't do any of that. We also shoved Japanese people into internment camps. Not that you actually want to have a conversation about the :):):):) that's happened and is happening in our own backyards. No, not when you can villify all of the black and brown people over there doing so much worse crap so why are we even talking about this?

No, you're just being a troll, and not actually interested in having a real conversation.

I've never considered anyone worth blocking before but I'm starting to re-consider that.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Except I'm not criticizing anyone, because that's not the frakking point. I'm not on some crusade to make you feel like crap for the actions of your ancestors. All I care about is the inequities that exist in our society, now, and the steps that we can take to fix them. I don't give a :):):):) who feels guilty for what, because frankly, anybody's guilt is irrelevant. It's a distraction, so people can talk about their feelings instead of actual structural inequalities. Everything else is white noise.

I'm frankly getting really pissed off with people making me out to be some god-damned strawman white-hating bigot. Anybody who's spent two minutes reading what I'm actually saying will know that I'm anything but. If you can't get your head out of that mind space, and focus on what really matters, that's on you, but stop dragging my name in the mud with you.

Again, selective enforcement.

Your comments criticize ‘white’ ethnic groups only.

You studiously and passionately deflect away any criticism of nonwhite ethnic groups.

Your comments come across as racist, by definition. Antiwhite, even irrationally so.

Gradine, the overall impression of your comments come across in the same way as white supremacists who are trying to sound ‘sophisticated’.

We know from history, educated people can be among the worst racists. ‘Sophisticated’ assaults that target a specific ethnic group, are racist.

Racism even includes racism against white ethnicities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gradine

Again, selective enforcement.

Your comments criticize ‘white’ ethnic groups only.

You studiously and passionately deflect away any criticism of nonwhite ethnic groups.

Your comments come across as racist, by definition. Antiwhite, even irrationally so.

Gradine, the overall impression of your comments come across in the same way as white supremacists who are trying to sound ‘sophisticated’.

We know from history, educated people can be the worst racists. ‘Sophisticated’ assaults that target a specific ethnic group, are racist.

Racism even includes racism against white ethnicities.

Okay, I'm done with this, and I'm done with you. Since you're not actually at all interested in reading what I'm actually saying, and instead twist what I've said into a bunch of things I'm not actually saying so you can create this strawman racist holocaust-denier to argue against because that's easier than confronting and addressing the actual content of my posts, I'm done engaging with you.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Examples of ‘selective enforcement’.

A judge who only rules harsh sentences to black defendants, while declaring all white defendants innocent, or guilty only of lesser charges even for the same crimes.

A police officer who only arrests black suspects, while allowing white suspects to go free.

A state prosecutor who only prosecutes crimes by whites, while turning a blind eye toward any and all crimes by blacks or other nonwhites.

Selective enforcement is a pernicious method of racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads