When is the skill check made?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If the spell is active, you can trigger it as soon as the roll happens. If no spell is active, by the time the caster casts guidance, it's too late to affect the roll. The ability check has been decided.

I kind of think you are arguing against something none of us are saying...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not how that's goina work. If the check is made at the beginning and guidance was up then +1d4 bonus applies. There's no RAW way to get around that.

If the check is made at the end and guidance is up then the +1d4 bonus applies. There's no RAW way to get around that either.

Are you forgetting about the rule where same named sources don't stack?
Nope. As long as the spell is triggered, the next casting isn't during the duration, allowing you to spam it for centuries. In fact, your argument allows you to bring back the dead. A kid has died drowning? Just touch the body spamming the spell until the swim check retroactively succeeds. The spell just says after the roll, so it doesn't matter by RAW how long after, right?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Nope. As long as the spell is triggered, the next casting isn't during the duration, allowing you to spam it for centuries. In fact, your argument allows you to bring back the dead. A kid has died drowning? Just touch the body spamming the spell until the swim check retroactively succeeds. The spell just says after the roll, so it doesn't matter by RAW how long after, right?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not how that's goina work. If the check is made at the beginning and guidance was already up then +1d4 bonus applies. There's no RAW way to get around that.

Um, right. You can use it once. I'm saying that by RAW, spamming the spell doesn't work unless the DM enacts a ruling that allows it. The game doesn't allow for spamming to work by RAW, since the timing of the ability check is not specified in the rules.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
It seems like you came into an argument without understanding it. We're talking about whether RAW allows spamming to work. It doesn't. It can't since the timing of the check isn't specified.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Nope - I get fully what's going on and what's being said. It's painfully obvious you are arguing with me about something I'm not saying.
Um, I was talking to someone else. If we're not talking about the same thing, YOU'RE the one arguing about something we're not talking about ;)

Remove ads