• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When it gets expensive!

Verdande

First Post
Why are you buying all of those books and all of those products? Do you realize that they're going to be cheaper in a year when the "craze" has died down a bit?

Reminds me of people who rushed out and stood in line to pay $500 for iPhones, and then they were mad when the price dropped to half afterwards. That's what you guy, I suppose.

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
It is most likely that most of the members here at EnWorld are collectors of more than one game, do you find that you have a particular month in the year when you just have to say - "Ouch - I am going to delay this one."?
While I own a few different RPGs, I try to only buy the core book(s) that I'll need to play/run the game. So, for Pathfinder as an example, that means just the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary, no exceptions. (Pathfinder books are expensive!). Savage Worlds? I just own the $10 core book.

The only exception I'll make is when I'm actively playing that game quite a bit. I own 7 or 8 books for D&D 4e, for example, because I've been regularly playing for a couple years. I don't play most systems often enough to justify the expense, though, especially if the books are costly.

Of course, my preferred scenario is when the game is designed to be just one rulebook. Take most retro clones, for example. :)

frankthedm

First Post
Just a curious question as I try to figure out how to get this stuff asap while still keeping my openly critical wife happy with the drain on our finances.
If you don't mind an argument, remind her of any unneeded purchases she makes. Notably any jewelry, extra purses or excessive amounts of shoes.

pawsplay

Hero
Why are you buying all of those books and all of those products? Do you realize that they're going to be cheaper in a year when the "craze" has died down a bit?

Except for GURPS Space, which will double in price, and BESM Third Edition, which will sell for about $120, leaving you crying yourself to sleep every night.

I buy a lot of stuff used, but I never assume a high availability for something as niche as an RPG game, or that a given RPG publisher will stay in business.

amnuxoll

First Post
I find that I do best when I set a strict monthly budget for RPG stuff. (It also helps that my wife monitors the budget.) That forces me to be selective about what I buy and plan ahead for purchases. If I get desperate for cash, there's always eBay...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
My DDI subscription has totally relieved any pressure I used to feel regarding the purchase of D&D books. I simply don't buy D&D books any more.

That said, I still buy far too many Exalted, Shadowrun, and now Fate system books (like Dresden and Anglerre).

Cheers, -- N

Crothian

First Post
If buying gaming books is starting to interfer with marriage, rent, or other important things then you might want to cut back. I buy tons of this gaming stuff but I know my limit and make sure it is not foolish and what I'm spending I can afford.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads