TSR When Random House Sued TSR For $9.5M

Benjamin Riggs is continuing to talk about his research into the history of TSR. He recounts here a tale of TSR's accounting practices which contributed to their eventual demise.

Dungeons-and-Dragons-Basic-Set.jpg
Check out Ben's Plot Points podcast

In April of 1996, Random House sued TSR for lack of payment on an $9.5 million loan.

You may ask yourself how TSR came to owe its distributor such a large sum of money. The answer lies in the 1979 distribution agreement between Random House and TSR, in which Random House became TSR's exclusive avenue into the book trade. In that agreement, signed by Gygax himself, Random House agreed to advance TSR 27.3% of the retail value of their product upon receipt. Random House could also return the product to TSR for a refund. All this meant that TSR could produce cash by shipping to Random House instead of waiting for actual customers to purchase their products.

The arrangement seems bizarre, but Jim Fallone, a TSR alum familiar with the agreement, said there may be an excellent reason for it. TSR's books were beautiful, and therefore expensive. Also, TSR had a back catalog that sold well. Sometimes, TSR faced a choice between printing new material, and reprinting old material that sold well, but might take time to make a return on printing costs. The Random House agreement was a way around this problem. TSR could print and ship new copies of the Player's Handbook knowing that they would get paid for it soon, and then also afford to print new material.

According to Fallone, the math on all this works out fine, so long as no more than 20% of TSR's products are returned. But in the 90's, TSR's many forays into creating new game worlds increased their levels of returns to more like 30%. At the same time, TSR began overprinting products. DragonStrike, for example, was a hit game that was driven into the red by overprinting. The game sold 100,000 copies, and had reorders for 50,000 more. Management, however, decided to print 150,000 copies of the game, which never sold.

Also, TSR began to use Random House to generate ready cash. Fallone said that TSR began to “abuse the loan aspect of the contract by shipping product to Random House that there is no actual sales demand for just to generate the advance payment in order to cover printing debts then you pour gasoline on the fire."
These practices helped cause TSR's near bankruptcy in 1997.

Thanks to historian Michael Calleia for providing me with a copy of the 1996 lawsuit and 1979 contract.

If you're interested, I talk to TSR alums Jim Lowder and John Rateliff here about the contract. "A 1979 contract between Random House and TSR would take 18 years to kill the company that started the role-playing game hobby. Thanks to historian Micheal Calleia, Ben has a copy of that very contract, and discusses how it led TSR to near bankruptcy in 1997 with TSR alums James Lowder, Chaosium’s executive editor, and John Rateliff, an internationally renowned Tolkien scholar."

Last edited:

Taking the emotive "paying them for the privilege" language out of it, I'd be curious to find out how much money they make comparitively from DMs Guild (while being adventures and supplements, not novels). I know that the OBS rep at UKGE last year told me that many DMsG publishers were selling more than major publishers on DTRPG.
Several of the larger names have posted their revenue from the Guild on the Facebook group. Don't quote me numbers, but I'm pretty sure that several were well over $50k (profit, after art costs and revenue sharing etc).

but a murder suicide nixed that plan
Huh? Care to link or share? First time I've heard this.

gyor

Legend
Benjamin Riggs is continuing to talk about his research into the history of TSR. He recounts here a tale of TSR's accounting practices which contributed to their eventual demise.

View attachment 114453
Check out Ben's Plot Points podcast

In April of 1996, Random House sued TSR for lack of payment on an $9.5 million loan.

You may ask yourself how TSR came to owe its distributor such a large sum of money. The answer lies in the 1979 distribution agreement between Random House and TSR, in which Random House became TSR's exclusive avenue into the book trade. In that agreement, signed by Gygax himself, Random House agreed to advance TSR 27.3% of the retail value of their product upon receipt. Random House could also return the product to TSR for a refund. All this meant that TSR could produce cash by shipping to Random House instead of waiting for actual customers to purchase their products.

The arrangement seems bizarre, but Jim Fallone, a TSR alum familiar with the agreement, said there may be an excellent reason for it. TSR's books were beautiful, and therefore expensive. Also, TSR had a back catalog that sold well. Sometimes, TSR faced a choice between printing new material, and reprinting old material that sold well, but might take time to make a return on printing costs. The Random House agreement was a way around this problem. TSR could print and ship new copies of the Player's Handbook knowing that they would get paid for it soon, and then also afford to print new material.

According to Fallone, the math on all this works out fine, so long as no more than 20% of TSR's products are returned. But in the 90's, TSR's many forays into creating new game worlds increased their levels of returns to more like 30%. At the same time, TSR began overprinting products. DragonStrike, for example, was a hit game that was driven into the red by overprinting. The game sold 100,000 copies, and had reorders for 50,000 more. Management, however, decided to print 150,000 copies of the game, which never sold.

Also, TSR began to use Random House to generate ready cash. Fallone said that TSR began to “abuse the loan aspect of the contract by shipping product to Random House that there is no actual sales demand for just to generate the advance payment in order to cover printing debts then you pour gasoline on the fire."
These practices helped cause TSR's near bankruptcy in 1997.

Thanks to historian Michael Calleia for providing me with a copy of the 1996 lawsuit and 1979 contract.

If you're interested, I talk to TSR alums Jim Lowder and John Rateliff here about the contract. "A 1979 contract between Random House and TSR would take 18 years to kill the company that started the role-playing game hobby. Thanks to historian Micheal Calleia, Ben has a copy of that very contract, and discusses how it led TSR to near bankruptcy in 1997 with TSR alums James Lowder, Chaosium’s executive editor, and John Rateliff, an internationally renowned Tolkien scholar."

This is clearly what killed TSR, or part of it, not Setting bloat.

I mean look at all the Settings for 5e, including 3rd party settings and you see that they are hurting 5e at all.

Thule, Scarred Lands, Midguard, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Ravnica, Aquilae, Western Realm Gazetteer, Iskløft, Esper Genesis, Legendary Planet, Talislanta: The Savage Land, Arcanis, Primeval Thule, Numenera, Stargate, World of Farland, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, part of Ravenloft and Greyhawk, and more, ect...

If you count Planeshift articles you can add Zendikar, Dominaria, Innistrad, Amonket, Kaladesh, Ixalan.

With more coming.

This has not caused a split base or D&D to crash. You can have lots of settings if you are smart about it and make sure you don't over print.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
Honestly I couldnt even begin to remember where I read this or who said it so its possible Im misquoting or misremebering. But I remember thinking at the time I read it that it was a pretty dirty move as they planned on eventually releasing 5E before they even released 4E. 5E wasnt designed before 4E but 4E was always meant to have a finite product life cycle, IIRC, 5 years. Struck me as odd when I read it. In retrospect it reminds me of Coca-Cola releasing New Coke in 1985, where its often been speculated that they did it on purpose knowing itd fail just to make tons more money a few months later with Coke Classic. Again I could be wrong.

It's very easy to fall into the trap of thinking a large company is infallible but they make mistakes. New Coke was a serious miscalculation on the part of Coca-Cola but switching to a new formula made sense from a business standpoint. Their were losing ground to to Pepsi, especially among younger soda drinkers, they're bottlers had a serious problem with the price of syrup, and they actually considered just having a new flavor of Coke but many in the company complained that they'd just cannibalize their own market as they did with Diet Coke and Cherry Coke. But Coca-Cola could not have predicted the overwhelming backlash against New Coke. But for a blunder it was a pretty successful one.

Likewise 4E was designed in response to lost market share. In 2000 who would have predicted another company like Paizo would come along and out D&D the new edition of D&D? 4E was an attempt to take the lead again and it failed spectacularly. I don't believe WOTC released a product they expected to fail so quickly.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Likewise 4E was designed in response to lost market share. In 2000 who would have predicted another company like Paizo would come along and out D&D the new edition of D&D? 4E was an attempt to take the lead again and it failed spectacularly. I don't believe WOTC released a product they expected to fail so quickly.

I don't know if D&D was losing its market share when 4E came out, but this sounds like you're saying that 4E was released as a reaction to Paizo. That wasn't the case; Paizo only went their own way and became a competitor to WotC when WotC cancelled Paizo's license to print Dragon and Dungeon magazines in anticipation of 4E while simultaneously not having finalized their (WotC's) plans for how much the new system would be accessible to third-parties.

Now, WotC gave Paizo some advance notice that their license to print the magazines was going to expire, but with no firm plans as to whether or not they'd be able to make 4E-compatible materials, Paizo was left in a slow-motion lurch. Printing requires months of advance notice, so Paizo had to make a decision and fast. With no clear signals coming out of WotC, Paizo eventually decided to go their own way, and so they created Pathfinder...which for its first two years was entirely 3.5 compatible, only becoming its own RPG in August of 2009, over a year after 4E had been released (though they'd announced that it would be its own RPG as early as March of 2008, when they began their open playtest).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
This is clearly what killed TSR, or part of it, not Setting bloat.

I mean look at all the Settings for 5e, including 3rd party settings and you see that they are hurting 5e at all.

Thule, Scarred Lands, Midguard, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Ravnica, Aquilae, Western Realm Gazetteer, Iskløft, Esper Genesis, Legendary Planet, Talislanta: The Savage Land, Arcanis, Primeval Thule, Numenera, Stargate, World of Farland, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, part of Ravenloft and Greyhawk, and more, ect...

If you count Planeshift articles you can add Zendikar, Dominaria, Innistrad, Amonket, Kaladesh, Ixalan.

With more coming.

This has not caused a split base or D&D to crash. You can have lots of settings if you are smart about it and make sure you don't over print.

But how many of those settings are getting a lot of WotC investment? Most aren’t even theirs. By comparison, TSR was producing materials for multiple settings, dividing their own market, and often setting price points based on what they thought people would pay, not how much they cost to produce. That helped hollow the company out so the cash flow crisis and Random House cracked them like a piñata.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases