• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When RAW goes too far

R_J_K75

Legend
Yeah, this reminds me of the hand crossbow wars of 2015. People insisting, insisting I tells ya, that you could continuously fire two hand crossbows without droppin' either one. Cuz the rule never said nuthin' about needin' a free hand to reload.

Joking aside, was this really an argument?

Oofta

Legend
Joking aside, was this really an argument?
Yes.

Until they released errata clarifying it you had people that were adamant that it was legal for someone with crossbow expertise to dual fire the same two hand crossbows every round. Part of the argument was that bows were two-handed and you didn't need a third hand for those either.

Yes.

Until they released errata clarifying it you had people that were adamant that it was legal for someone with crossbow expertise to dual fire the same two hand crossbows every round. Part of the argument was that bows were two-handed and you didn't need a third hand for those either.
The fun part was the second hand crossbow was never needed. A player can freely use one to get off normal attack and the bonus attack provided by the feat.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
Yes.

I'm absolutely lost for words...or at least words I can post here without deeply offending someone.

Hoffmand

Explorer
Not an rpg. But at work I once told a new kid hired to work in the bulk barn to get me 5 samples from a silo. Label each bucket. Sample 1 of 5 and so forth. All 5 buckets were labeled sample 1 of 5. We had to fire him later for something unrelated. I couldn’t believe anyone could possible think like that. He was a danger to our type of work. He was very nice but he had to go for the safety of everyone.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
This belongs in the 'differences between the boards' thread. :p

When people get ridiculous about these sorts of arguments I point out to them that candles don't need to be lit on fire to provide light. In the PHB all it says about a candle is that it provides light for 1 hour.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
[cranky old man voice]

Yeah, this reminds me of the hand crossbow wars of 2015. People insisting, insisting I tells ya, that you could continuously fire two hand crossbows without droppin' either one. Cuz the rule never said nuthin' about needin' a free hand to reload.

Then I'd go on about how it also never said you needed to obey the laws of gravity and ... wait where was I?

[/cranky old man voice]

Yeah, this is nothing new. Although, come to think of it I probably don't need to clarify that I'm a cranky old man. :unsure:

Ah the good old days.

Remove ads