D&D 5E When RAW goes too far

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The same thing that guides the horse when one hand holds a lance and the other a shield: the rider's legs and knees?

One thing being ignored with the idea of a rider charging with two lances is this: if each of the rider's hands is completely occupied with holding and aiming a lance, and thus neither hand is on the reins, then who's driving the horse and making sure it goes in a nice straight line along the rail?

Never mind that without having the off-hand available to brace and steady him-herself the two-lance rider is going to rock back and forth in the saddle considerably more than would a one-lance rider, making aiming either lance correspondingly more difficult.....
I don't think anyone here is arguing that it's easy; just that it's possible and whether or not it would hurt the victim more than doing it the old fashioned way.

I for one am more than happy to admit it can't be that good or people would have done it, although I'm not willing to call it impossible. But that all rolls back to my point way upthread that it would be better to let greatweapon rules apply to lances rather than one-handed weapon rules: not because of realism, but because of tropes.

Yeah. Dual-wielding two lances isn't a good idea generally. you need to be able to accurately hit a small target and trying to keep two lances on line is much harder than keeping one on target. Furthermore it is also much harder to brace and thus impart force from a lance in each hand than it is from just one side.

Yeah. Dual-wielding two lances isn't a good idea generally. you need to be able to accurately hit a small target and trying to keep two lances on line is much harder than keeping one on target. Furthermore it is also much harder to brace and thus impart force from a lance in each hand than it is from just one side.
Well it's also a bad idea to duel wield battle axes but that hasn't stopped a few D&D players hasn't it?

Remove ads